You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 139 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2022, 10:09 am

That I need to be much more efficient in managing my bills .. especially at the end of year. Seems everyone wants much more money from me just to continue my basic living standards . Got to save more for end of year stuff.
Not fun . And , I have almost cut every corner I can already .

where ever you go ,there you are

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 8:14 pm

I always thought my eyes were hazel. I was reading today about central heterochromia, and it turns out that I have that going on and not hazel eyes. Where hazel eyes blend at some point, central heterochromia is when you have two different colors occurring in your eyes that do not blend; the inner ring is a completely different color than the outer ring. I had no idea that mattered in eye color.

There are three types of heterochromia. Central is like I said above, complete heterochromia is when each eye is a completely different color, and then you have sectoral heterochromia. That's where you get a sort of wedge of a different color running through one or both eyes; like you could have blue eyes, but they have a splotchy line-ish bit of brown or green or whatever showing up.

No idea why I fell down an eye color rabbit hole on the internet, but it was interesting, and I did learn something new today from it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 8:44 pm

have had it explained to me that most people do not consider each other as humans.And respect each other as such. but some sort of seperate tribes or Entities . And my basic unedrstanding of this situation seems to be flawed. But I do not really understand why.. Especially if no harm is meant or bad intent . and in like, situations of Reciproscity .
[this post is not intended. to portray Naivete, But rather serking understanding]

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 12:36 am

I learned that when you document a conspiracy theory to be false you have in fact proven it to be true because if it really was false it would be self-evidently false and there would be no need to conspire to document it as false.

Uhh, ooookaaay.

My brain hurts after trying to keep that straight while writing it.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2022, 7:57 am

I've learned there's too many idiots in the world who will put all of their trust into what the media tells them and are incapable of ever thinking for themselves.

I learned a long time ago never to trust any government because they're all only after their own self-interests and will sell out or sacriface the people of their countries that they are supposed to be leading.

Never trust a person who claims "good and evil don't exist" because these same people only say this to deflect the blame off of the harmful things they themselves do to others.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 11:22 pm

In a Peanuts TV special, Rerun Van Pelt (Linus and Lucy's little brother) got suspended from kindergarten after he was accused of sexual harassment by the principal. A girl in his class was bored of doing the same kindergarten stuff every day, so he jokingly told her they should both run away to Paris. He didn't even know where Paris was. The girl wasn't offended, but when she told her mom, the other adults soon found out and they thought it was harassment.

So, Rerun became an accidental pervert even though he's only around 5 years old. 8O

Of course, American public schools have flipped out irl for less than that. :roll:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2023, 11:27 pm

That the middle ages in Europe weren't anywhere as horrible as ignorant Americans like to believe they were.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 8:21 pm

Stumbled on a idea being put forward , as persons should consider that Government = Religion ..... :nerdy: :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2023, 8:54 pm

Jakki wrote:
Stumbled on a idea being put forward , as persons should consider that Government = Religion ..... :nerdy: :roll:

QFT :idea:

TenMinutes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 9:44 pm

I played with chat gpt today. I found that its understanding of autism and autism challenges to be pretty shallow. It felt like I was interviewing a bullshitter for a crap job.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:57 pm

In the 1960s there was an anime called 8 Man that was brought to North America and was very popular. 8 Man was a guy who was killed and then reborn when a scientist puts his life force into an android body that gives him superpowers and runs on atomic energy. He is considered Japan's earliest cyborg superhero.

The really odd thing about the anime is that whenever 8 Man was low on energy he had to use "energy sticks", which resembled cigarettes that he put in his mouth, which may have led to the show being canceled in the US. Although someone in the comments said it was really because the show was black and white, and most TV cartoons were in color by the mid-60s.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2023, 2:41 pm

That astronomers continue to discover things out in the universe

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2023, 5:21 pm

There's an adult Scooby-Doo cartoon where nearly all the main characters are non-white and stars Velma as a South Asian. And it's terrible and almost universally hated by people of different races.

Scooby isn't even in the show, because a talking dog would be so immature. And yet the show is actually more immature than the original cartoon.

Quantum duck
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2023, 7:11 pm

Ostriches come in different colors.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 8:56 pm

Apparently some people who grew up in the USSR can't understand why people in North America are walking around in their pajamas. Back then you had school clothes, you'd change out of them into your regular clothes after getting home, and then into your pjs at bedtime.To be seen in your pjs in public was as embarrassing as being seen naked (or nearly naked) in public.

Personally, I don't really get the trend, either. I don't even like wearing pjs to bed. Right now I'm wearing a bathrobe over my clothes to stay warm without turning up the heat, and I feel weird wearing it because I'm not sick. I usually only wear the robe when I'm sick or not feeling well.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2023, 9:07 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
That the middle ages in Europe weren't anywhere as horrible as ignorant Americans like to believe they were.

It's not just Americans who buy into those tropes. A lot of them date to Victorian era Europe.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う