Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:18 am

He might run afoul of the "natural born citizen" clause of the constitution since he was born in Canada. The clause has never been really litigated.

http://time.com/3754408/ted-cruz-history-natural-born/?xid=newsletter-brief

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

He has virtually no chance of winning his party's nomination, so it really doesn't matter.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm

Tis the season to start the wringing of the hands over any and all republican hopefuls for the Nov. '16 elections. Seen it before in '11.
:roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm

That's not the way Ted Cruz should be dismissed--over a petty technicality. That would roil up the Tea Partiers, and create an instant martyr for them.

Ted Cruz should be dismissed based upon his stand on the issues.

Reminds me a bit of Barry Goldwater.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

No. If he was, then America would be stupider than I already think it is....

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:48 pm

This will be an excellent opportunity to point out the hypocrisy of all the "birthers" who will stay silent on Cruz's citizenship issue.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:

If America is so stupid it's probably because of all the canucks we have down here.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm

Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

If America is so stupid it's probably because of all the canucks we have down here.

I'm Ted Cruz, I don't believe in modern science, but I sure do love jesus!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Mar 2015, 6:11 pm

I would say no as he was born and lived in Canada the first 4 years of his life but I guess the definition of natural born citizen now is just having one parents that is a citizen, it probably should be more clearly defined.

I very much doubt Cruz will win the presidency or the GOP nomination but I wouldn't sleep on him either as he is probably one of the smartest and most well spoken Republicans. He will come off very well in debates and probably won't say too exceptionally dumb things like so many other GOP contenders seem to do. The guy is a champion debater at Princeton and edited the Harvard Law Review, he's a lawyer and argues like one.

There are things in his background tho that will make it tough for him like the questions about his eligibility and his wife's job at Goldman Sachs. Being thought of as so extreme and divisive won't help either, he has a very partisan appeal and will scare liberals and moderates.

I don't think I could vote for him given his Evangelical background and hawkishness but he'll be fun the watch in the debates.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:16 pm

I really don't give a Rat's Butt where Ted Cruz was born.

Just debate the guy on the issues. Forget all the bullbleep. It ain't worth it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
He might run afoul of the "natural born citizen" clause of the constitution since he was born in Canada. The clause has never been really litigated. ...
The clause is part of the U.S. Constitution.
Quote:
Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution sets the requirements to hold office. A president must:

... be a natural-born citizen of the United States;

... be at least thirty-five years old;

... have been a permanent resident in the United States for at least fourteen years.

A person who meets the above qualifications is still disqualified from holding the office of president under any of the following conditions:

Under the Twenty-second Amendment, no person can be elected president more than twice. The amendment also specifies that if any eligible person who serves as president or acting president for more than two years of a term for which some other eligible person was elected president, the former can only be elected president once. Scholars disagree whether anyone no longer eligible to be elected president could be elected vice president, pursuant to the qualifications set out under the Twelfth Amendment.

Under Article I, Section 3, Clause 7, upon conviction in impeachment cases, the Senate has the option of disqualifying convicted individuals from holding other federal offices, including the presidency.

Under Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment, no person who swore an oath to support the Constitution, and later rebelled against the United States, can become president. However, this disqualification can be lifted by a two-thirds vote of each house of Congress.
So, while Ted Cruz may run for President, he can not hold the office. Thus, his sole function in this election is as a 'spoiler' - one who takes votes away from more eligible candidates. With the Republican Party as fragmented as it is, Ted Cruz's campaigning will almost assure Hillary Clinton's election, if she should run.

It takes a vote of two-thirds of the States to ratify any additional amendments to the U.S. constitution, including amendments that would nullify previous amendments and articles in whole or in part.

So, if Ted Cruz wants to be elected President, and hold the office, he had better start lobbying States' governments to ratify that amendment ... the one that has yet to even be written!

Can you say, "Fat chance, Teddy"?

I'm sure you can!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:23 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

Then you've got my vote! :D
Everyone knows how we conservatives hate science and love bible thumpers

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:25 pm

Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
C'mon! Don't blame the Canadians! They have given us some of the finest comedians in the world!

Eh?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Mar 2015, 6:33 pm

Since Ted Cruz's mother was US citizen that means that he was automatically a US citizen at birth and thus a natural born citizen by most interpretations. It is a commonly held belief by the public that you have to be born with in the physical United States to be a natural born citizen but AFAIK that has never effectively been the case, I very much doubt there would be any legal challenge against Cruz and the Supreme Court would not rule against him if there was as we saw how the SCOTUS shies away from overly political matters as we saw with the Obamacare rulling, they're not going to overturn an election. I think what will happen is that this will more be a nagging issue like it was for Obama, the question will be will moderates and liberals be pushing the birther stuff this time?

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Mar 2015, 6:36 pm

Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

That was intentional sarcasm, incase that's one of your autistic disability spots.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:43 pm

Canadian1911 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:

That was intentional sarcasm, incase that's one of your autistic disability spots.

You're pretty thick not to realize by the wording of my reply that I knew it was sarcasm.
:roll: