Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:46 pm

Yay! Someone who sees there is supposed to be a line on the map separating the US and Mexico! :D
But he wasn't even born here though. :cry:
Any republican nominee but Jeb and his huge forehead big enough to house all of the illegal immigrants. :roll:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 9:41 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
This will be an excellent opportunity to point out the hypocrisy of all the "birthers" who will stay silent on Cruz's citizenship issue.

yet oddly those silent about obama's are not pushing it here. seems its just a tactic by any political group to try to attack their opponent.

really its just a tactic, one clearly open to use by anyone. so yeah those who used it on obama will be quiet this time around as its their guy. politics seems to know no bounds when it comes to hypocrisy

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 10:13 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I would say no as he was born and lived in Canada the first 4 years of his life but I guess the definition of natural born citizen now is just having one parents that is a citizen, it probably should be more clearly defined.

I very much doubt Cruz will win the presidency or the GOP nomination but I wouldn't sleep on him either as he is probably one of the smartest and most well spoken Republicans. He will come off very well in debates and probably won't say too exceptionally dumb things like so many other GOP contenders seem to do. The guy is a champion debater at Princeton and edited the Harvard Law Review, he's a lawyer and argues like one.

There are things in his background tho that will make it tough for him like the questions about his eligibility and his wife's job at Goldman Sachs. Being thought of as so extreme and divisive won't help either, he has a very partisan appeal and will scare liberals and moderates.

I don't think I could vote for him given his Evangelical background and hawkishness but he'll be fun the watch in the debates.

I don't think he's really eligible either, but I have heard some of his speeches, and he seems very intelligent...more so than the majority of our government. I know that he is branded an obstructionist and a wacko, but if you look into some of the things he is against, you'll see that he has a good reason for trying to block those things from getting passed. I haven't read up too much on his background, but I'm sure he has skeletons in his closet, just like everybody else. :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 2:42 am

I read something funny today. The king-o'-the-birthers, Donald Trump, is b*tching about how Cruze is not eligible to be President because he had been born in Canada, in very much the same way he had indulged in the Obama birth certificate fantasies. I have to think, Trump isn't so much a conservative or Republican as he is an egotistical contrarian who is grasping at anything to build up his own public image with the birthplace issue.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 3:13 pm

I prefer Rand Paul but Ted Cruz is a close second. By modern interpretation he is a natural born citizen.

Rand Paul is a Ted Cruz that could win. :D

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 3:22 pm

To me, a natural-born citizen is just someone who is a citizen due directly to the circumstances surrounding one's birth.

If they're born abroad, they are still subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, because the U.S. Congress has made many laws regarding the conduct of U.S. citizens abroad (i.e. just being outta the U.S. doesn't mean you don't still have to follow at least some of the laws of the United States).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 4:04 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
He might run afoul of the "natural born citizen" clause of the constitution since he was born in Canada. The clause has never been really litigated.

http://time.com/3754408/ted-cruz-history-natural-born/?xid=newsletter-brief

His parents both are U.S. citizens so it does not matter where he is born.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 7:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
He might run afoul of the "natural born citizen" clause of the constitution since he was born in Canada. The clause has never been really litigated.
His parents both are U.S. citizens so it does not matter where he is born. ruveyn
Interesting premise ... Can you cite the relevant law(s)?

If all it takes for a person to be declared "natural-born" is for at least one parent to be a U.S. citizen when that person was born, then it's no wonder that the "Birther" movement has had no success against the legitimacy of our current president's service (whether or not claims against his birth certificate were ever valid).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:36 pm

According to Wikipedia, Ted Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada, to a US citizen mother and a "Cuban-immigrant" father, thereby granting him joint US-Canadian citizenship at birth. He didn't renounce his Canadian citizenship until 2014.

Like I said....let's debate him on the issues--not on some arcane "native-born citizen" provision.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm

I hear that he masticates in front of children.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 11:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
I hear that he masticates in front of children.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 1:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

http://time.com/3754408/ted-cruz-history-natural-born/?xid=newsletter-brief

Ya know it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is voted first Latino President of the US. Years ago when Oprah was talking about Jr Senator Obama being president I rolled my eyes and thought it will never happen. Keep dreaming Oprah. I especially didn't believe a jr senator would ever get voted in. I thought she was being incredibly optimistic. I really didn't think someone with the last name Obama stood a chance of getting elected.

Obama not only got elected once but twice.

So ya this Cruz dude could get in, too.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm

Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Canadian1911 wrote:
No. If he was, then America would be stupider than I already think it is....

If America is so stupid it's probably because of all the canucks we have down here.

I'm Ted Cruz, I don't believe in modern science, but I sure do love jesus!

Then you've got my vote! :D
Everyone knows how we conservatives hate science and love bible thumpers

That was intentional sarcasm, incase that's one of your autistic disability spots.

You're pretty thick not to realize by the wording of my reply that I knew it was sarcasm.
:roll:

Well, I'm posting this in all sincerity.

God, I hope they run again.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 11:37 pm

I already learned this in school, but
The following is straight from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services website

Quote:
In a general, a Child Born Outside the U.S. is a Citizen at Birth when the Child's Parents Are Married to each other at the Time of Birth IF... Both parents are U.S. citizens at the time of birth, At least one parent lived in the U.S. or its territories prior to the birth.

Pretty self-explanatory.

Full info here if you're interested.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:01 am

There are actually people here who like Ted Cruz?

Wow... I expected a lot more... even from this forum.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:10 am

Syd wrote:
There are actually people here who like Ted Cruz?

Wow... I expected a lot more... even from this forum.

I don't know anything about him.

Care to explain?