Finnish millionaire gets $60,000 speeding ticket.....

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:16 am

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a25188/finnish-millionaire-gets-60k-speeding-ticket/

I think this is a GREAT idea----especially for Californians----Justin Bieber and Lindsay Lohan, and the likes, ALONE, for instance, could fund whatever "public works" is needed!!

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:26 am

I agree, a scale-based system for fines is an excellent idea. Unfortunately, I can't see a law like that ever getting passed in this oligarchy.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:48 am

hell, a few of those could help fund the revival of our old desal plants here in cali.

it seems like an idea that would work as long as the scales are perfectly proportional.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 12:42 pm

Getting fined 60k for doing 64 in a 50 zone is highway robbery no matter how much the offender is worth.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Mar 2015, 1:04 pm

Raptor wrote:
Getting fined 60k for doing 64 in a 50 zone is highway robbery no matter how much the offender is worth.

Agreed.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

I'm fine with a sliding scale for minor offenses like that. 60k is still highway robbery, it's simply excessive. If you want that money, raise taxes a bit.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 9:17 pm

Speeding tickets are usually way too expensive as it is and just about everyone speeds at least once in a while. Why not lower the cost to a more reasonable and affordable figure instead of sucking blood from people just to squander like they do with tax revenues.

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2015, 1:53 am

Raptor wrote:
Speeding tickets are usually way too expensive as it is and just about everyone speeds at least once in a while. Why not lower the cost to a more reasonable and affordable figure instead of sucking blood from people just to squander like they do with tax revenues.

Or just get rid of speeding tickets and the speed limit altogether.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 12:00 pm

genesis529 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yeah, make the speeds be recommended, but not enforced.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 12:04 pm

Raptor wrote:

That is a bit high I suppose...but how is it theft if its not defined as such? Theft is the illegal removal/taking of someones property, and last I checked a fine is a legally mandated consequence for breaking certain laws.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 12:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Raptor wrote:

That is a bit high I suppose...but how is it theft if its not defined as such? Theft is the illegal removal/taking of someones property, and last I checked a fine is a legally mandated consequence for breaking certain laws.

Read some political/legal philosophy. The government doesn't have a monopoly on definitions.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
genesis529 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yeah, make the speeds be recommended, but not enforced.

And speed limits also give a false sense of security. Today I was driving at the speed limit and was overtaken by EVERYONE, and most of them were way above the speed limit. What use is it to have rules that are not enforced? That just makes the unlucky person who gets caught feel he got a ticked because he got caught, not because he was speeding, because EVERONE is speeding and only he got caught.
About 2/3 of German highways don't even have a speed limit and Germany does pretty good on road safety.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm

According to the article the guy made 7 million last year, a 60k fine is only .008 of his yearly income, not even a full percentage point. By comparison take a minimum wage earner in the US (~20k a year) and in my state 15-25mph over is a $215 fine, that's .01075 of the minimum wage earner's yearly income. Yes, he paid much less of a fine than the Finn did but it hurt the minimum wage earner's finances harder than it did the Finn.

The entire point of a fine is to deter people. If the fine is so low that it has no effect on a person then it's not a deterrent. Large corporations have used this loophole for years. Get caught with a faulty pipe that dumps oil, $20,000 fine, much cheaper than the half million or so it would take to insulate the pipe properly so it doesn't rupture in the first place. It's become a minor cost of doing business for some firms, which means that the fine has absolutely no effect. Now, say the fine was .05% of net earnings for the year, that could be several million for some companies-- I guarantee you they start following the law because it's too costly if they don't.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 10:59 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It was a figure of speech....
:roll: :roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 11:04 am

Aristophanes wrote:
According to the article the guy made 7 million last year, a 60k fine is only .008 of his yearly income, not even a full percentage point. By comparison take a minimum wage earner in the US (~20k a year) and in my state 15-25mph over is a $215 fine, that's .01075 of the minimum wage earner's yearly income. Yes, he paid much less of a fine than the Finn did but it hurt the minimum wage earner's finances harder than it did the Finn.

The entire point of a fine is to deter people. If the fine is so low that it has no effect on a person then it's not a deterrent. Large corporations have used this loophole for years. Get caught with a faulty pipe that dumps oil, $20,000 fine, much cheaper than the half million or so it would take to insulate the pipe properly so it doesn't rupture in the first place. It's become a minor cost of doing business for some firms, which means that the fine has absolutely no effect. Now, say the fine was .05% of net earnings for the year, that could be several million for some companies-- I guarantee you they start following the law because it's too costly if they don't.

The entire point of a traffic citation is to put money in the pockets of government to mismanage. The deterrent thing is just an excuse.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

The entire point of a traffic citation is to put money in the pockets of government to mismanage. The deterrent thing is just an excuse.

If it's just an excuse how should they enforce laws? Or are you advocating for anarchy?