Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 10:51 am

I normally don't post about autism issues cause I am afraid I would come under attack if I say something not approved by the general community but I am curious if anyone can relate to this video:

Cause I think I can to a degree, now I have larger hearing issues cause I was born deaf but I have memories of my childhood that make no sense and audio and video is grossly out of sync. Opinions on this?

EDIT - I want to be clear, I am not deaf now but I was until I was 5 years old.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 4:29 pm

how did you regain your hearing?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 6:57 pm

Hmmm.

Doesn't seem quite right.

Why?

A) there are congenitally blind autistic people
B) there are congenitally deaf autistic people
C) there are congenitally deafblind autistic people

Given these three it seems improbable that a mismatch between visual and auditory perceptions would play a causative role in autism in all cases.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:55 pm

I can say that I don't experience any kind of delay in sight/sound unless it is appropriate (e.g. seeing a bat connect with a baseball before hearing it while I'm sitting in the outfield).

What I can say is that I am hypersensitive to when sight and sound does not line up by even a little bit (e.g. when a Netflix show is lagging) and I have a visceral reaction to this. It is very uncomfortable.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 9:21 pm

slave wrote:
how did you regain your hearing?

My ear drums ruptured as a baby and I had several surgeries and tubes placed in my ear at five years of age. I was never suppose to hear beyond what a person can hear under a swimming pool and to this day doctors are confused as to how I can hear. One glance in my ear and they ask how I am hearing or communicating with them.

Adamantium wrote:
Given these three it seems improbable that a mismatch between visual and auditory perceptions would play a causative role in autism in all cases.

So is that to say that it can exist in some cases of autism? Is this a real symptom or could it be some else entirely? Could it be related to the health problems I experienced as a child?