Missing people from the past. What should I do?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 5:25 pm

I'm really missing people who I used to be friends with before I moved house 6 months ago. I don't know what to do. I'm not very good with emotions and I'm feeling real confused and upset about stuff
I once had missed a friend for too many years when most people would have moved on by then. I know I was probably seeming weird but I couldny help it because if I like a person at some stage in life I tend to continue to like them in the future even after a lot of time and they have changed.
I don't have friends at my new place.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2015, 9:33 pm

How close were you with them? It might not be too weird to just shoot them a message or ring them up casually asking how they're doing.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 5:12 pm

Thank you. I texted them. We didn't talk for long but it's ok.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 8:19 am

Friends come and go. Unfortunately i'm no longer friends with most of the people from my pre-teen years. I do miss some of my old friends as well as I really only have 1 good friend now. If you want to maintain a friendship, then you have to interact with them.

Have you tried putting yourself out there to make more friends? Staying in your room all day isn't going to help much and it can get lonely pretty quick. Try to look for something to do where you can interact with people. Ideally you should look for people who have similar interests and hobbies as you do as it will be easier to strike up a conversation and continue talking to them. Like video games, clothes shopping, world domination. Then you can ask for their number or they may ask for yours after you get to know them a little better.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

I know what you mean. In my case I have a problem with letting the person go long after they turn from hot to cold on me. Not only do I miss them but I also often feel this unforgiving anger towards them and it's maybe because I have had such trouble finding new people like an NT can. Then as let go I start to look at the circumstances and think "Was this person really much of a friend to begin with?"

I also agree with what the last poster said. I am in the phase where I am trying to get involved with math and science groups and keep myself busy.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

Friend them on Facebook. That will make other levels of contact logistically easier.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 8:31 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Friend them on Facebook. That will make other levels of contact logistically easier.

That is another great suggestion. That way you can stay in touch.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 10:48 pm

The transition is very hard. I have moved a few times and have kept *VERY* few friends from the past. When I have been still trying to meet people and make friends in my new place, I have missed my previous friends very much.

To me, it is kind of like having something to hold onto while making the transition. I think missing old friends helps me to feel less lonely than if I was just in a new place with no one to know AND no one to miss. That would be worse. Missing old friends helps me remember I am capable of making friends at some level and also makes me yearn for friendship, which motivates me to keep trying to meet new people.

I like others' suggestions, too, about keeping in touch with old friends. Once you make new friends, it will be easier to accept that older friendships change and sometimes people move on.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 7:16 am

nerdygirl wrote:
The transition is very hard. I have moved a few times and have kept *VERY* few friends from the past. When I have been still trying to meet people and make friends in my new place, I have missed my previous friends very much.

To me, it is kind of like having something to hold onto while making the transition. I think missing old friends helps me to feel less lonely than if I was just in a new place with no one to know AND no one to miss. That would be worse. Missing old friends helps me remember I am capable of making friends at some level and also makes me yearn for friendship, which motivates me to keep trying to meet new people.

I like others' suggestions, too, about keeping in touch with old friends. Once you make new friends, it will be easier to accept that older friendships change and sometimes people move on.

I don't know if that is so healthy nerdygirl. What you might do first is try reaching out to your current friends for a while and then very slowly get yourself involved in other things. When I moved from one end of the US to another about a decade ago I kept in touch with my parents while also writing to one friend. In the mean time I made friends with a friend of my aunt's and her grandchildren and slowly got involved in things. I have been meeting people ever since.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 7:20 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

I don't know if that is so healthy nerdygirl. What you might do first is try reaching out to your current friends for a while and then very slowly get yourself involved in other things. When I moved from one end of the US to another about a decade ago I kept in touch with my parents while also writing to one friend. In the mean time I made friends with a friend of my aunt's and her grandchildren and slowly got involved in things. I have been meeting people ever since.

That is what I thought I was saying. Oh, well, must not have come out right.

eemameem1230
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2015, 9:50 pm

I'm sorry about this. That sounds really stressful and sad.

I agree with another post on here -- maybe you can call them or e-mail them.

It's possible to make more friends where you are, of course. It might take some time though. How did you meet your other friends? Maybe you can use a similar approach.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:06 pm

It's hardly weird to miss a good friend, only natural. I've gained and lost many great friends in my time, often over petty causes which are regrettable, but still manage to go on. With the ease of social media few people are ever fall away from contact, less they have a older sentiment and prefer direct contact like myself but still willing to use it when needed or bored and alone at the time, so it could be worse :o