Do you ever get random words stuck in your head?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2015, 5:03 am

I do not know quite why, but the name 'Elon Musk' has been popping into my head from time to time at random tasks and nothing else, other times it could be something completely different and for no reason, does anyone else get this?

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 5:27 am

YES!! ! I get random words popping into my head a lot, and then they get stuck there like a song for a little while. I also getting small pieces of songs, sound patterns, pieces of dialogue from something I've watched recently, and small sections of stuff I've read. I always have something playing in my head. For random words, I usually find that the word is written on something nearby and my subconscious picked it up. Like, I might get the word 'measure,' and when I look around, I find a small sticker on my bathroom scale that says, 'always measure in bare feet.'
It is so odd that you mention Elon Musk, though, because I have been getting that name in my head A LOT over the last few months. At first, I didn't even know that was a person. I had to Google it to know what it meant.

30400v
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2015, 6:28 am

I do have random things repeating in my head too.

Jimmyboy said pretty much everything I had to say but I'll add that :

Most of the time when I notice something like that in my head I make the effort to find out where it could be coming from. Most of the time I don't need to look really far to find an explanation and sometimes it's a little harder as it's less obvious. But what I really like is when that thing I have in my mind sounds really far from what I know, because it's almost magical to me.

Elon Musk is a cool sounding name! I understand why it could get stuck in a head for some time.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 9:51 am

Yep. This type of thing happens to me often. Today it has been the word 'phenomena'. Though I do not mentally repeat it as such, it becomes more of a sing song thing... phe nom e na naaa naaa naaahhh. That is one of my reoccurring words lately. Now I wonder if that word is written on something around the house somewhere and I have been oblivious to that. Hm.

30400v
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2015, 10:30 am

dossa wrote:
Yep. This type of thing happens to me often. Today it has been the word 'phenomena'. Though I do not mentally repeat it as such, it becomes more of a sing song thing... phe nom e na naaa naaa naaahhh. That is one of my reoccurring words lately. Now I wonder if that word is written on something around the house somewhere and I have been oblivious to that. Hm.

This is pretty cool!

Because a few hours after writing my previous post, but before I saw yours, I was walking outside and I noticed my brain saying "phenomenon". It was in a short sentence in English but the only consistent word was "phenomenon".

Also English is not my first language (French is) but I find myself to be thinking or to hear things in my head in English more and more over the past few years.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 10:33 am

Yes! Whenever I'm learning a new language, random words from that language will pop into my head. A few days ago, 'butaniku' (Japanese for pork, literally 'pig flesh') was popping into my head every few minutes all day. It got to be pretty annoying after awhile. But usually I'm fine with it, because when the word pops up, I try to remember the meaning, giving me a bit more practice with the vocabulary. It's like an internal flashcard.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 11:06 am

Ettina wrote:
Yes! Whenever I'm learning a new language, random words from that language will pop into my head. A few days ago, 'butaniku' (Japanese for pork, literally 'pig flesh') was popping into my head every few minutes all day. It got to be pretty annoying after awhile. But usually I'm fine with it, because when the word pops up, I try to remember the meaning, giving me a bit more practice with the vocabulary. It's like an internal flashcard.

When I get annoyed with it, I usually try to play with it, like singing it or putting the inflection on the wrong syllable; that can stop the repetition. Or I just start singing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," but that can backfire pretty hard if I then get THAT stuck in my head (talk about wanting to stab out my own brain!)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 1:51 pm

Oh yes, all the time. I have a list of words. At the moment the word 'Mount Kilimanjaro' seems to be stuck in my mind, even though I haven't said it or haven't been round anyone who has said it. :?

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 2:13 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
YES!! ! I get random words popping into my head a lot, and then they get stuck there like a song for a little while. I also getting small pieces of songs, sound patterns, pieces of dialogue from something I've watched recently, and small sections of stuff I've read. I always have something playing in my head. For random words, I usually find that the word is written on something nearby and my subconscious picked it up.

You explained very well what I experience. All those things you entioned happen to me, too. It sometimes is like I have an inner MP3 player that plays random songs or just parts of them or dialogues or words in my head.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 3:16 pm

Yes, all the time. Even though it drives me crazy sometimes, I'm OK with it.

Subjekt_9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2015, 9:38 pm

The word thats been stuck in my head the last couple of days is caddywhompus *shrugs*

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 9:40 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
YES!! ! I get random words popping into my head a lot, and then they get stuck there like a song for a little while. I also getting small pieces of songs, sound patterns, pieces of dialogue from something I've watched recently, and small sections of stuff I've read. I always have something playing in my head.
Same for me. Its annoying sometimes it invades my consciousness and It'll start looping in my head for no reason.

sparrowblue
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

I do, although, it's been a while since I last had a completely random word stuck in my head for as long as several days; I can't remember it now but I think mine too may have been a name. It's definitely happened. More often, though, I seem to get random images and sensations (the imagination or memory of them) stuck in my head. Does that ever happen to you? Like repeatedly, vividly remembering the sensation of something random, like sitting on a swing or something, or a repeated image of a random empty road I don't recognise. *joins in the shrugging*

23andaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2015, 10:11 pm

Yup, this happens to me very often. I hypothesize I actually am doing it more than I realize - habit has been shown to underlie most human behavior, and that's not an ASD-specific thing to at least some extent.

Random phrases, sometimes just a name, but sometimes as long as a couple of sentences on some blurb about my May trip to Alaska and the blizzard that struck the morning after I arrived, resulting in 20 degree weather.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Mar 2015, 10:55 pm

Not too often but it was worse before my OCD was treated.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 6:13 am

I just assumed that my mind is using the "off hours" to process things it couldn't process earlier, at the time they happened, so it shoved it into a mental closet somewhere and when I am not engaged in thinking about much of anything, my brain starts cleaning out those closets. Occasionally, the memory might come before my conscious, making me aware of it, and if my subconscious doesn't know what to do with the memory or gets stuck on it for some reason, it keeps putting it in front of my subconscious to get it dealt with, hence the thing getting stuck in my head. I find that happening after I watch a new movie. For a few days, my brain plays back scenes over and over, I think in an attempt to understand the movie. It can be a week later and I'll suddenly go, "Oh, THAT'S what that line meant!" while I'm doing the dishes. It happens with real memories, too, some of them quite old.

I find that my internal mp3 player turns off when I'm engaged in an activity of interest (unless the thing my mind was working on is particularly troublesome). For me, this is rewatching episodes of Friends or Frasier over and over; I know it's silly, but that's my most intense special interest. Sometimes, it is the only thing that can make my brain go silent for a little while.

Does anyone else notice that engaging in their intense interests make their mental mp3 player go quiet?