U.S. Senate votes to block Common Core

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 9:02 am

DailyCaller.com wrote:
The U.S. Senate passed an amendment Thursday barring the federal government from “mandating, incentivizing, or coercing states to adopt specific academic standards, including the Common Core standards.”

In effect, the amendment, sponsored by Republican Sen. David Vitter, is an attempt to end federal involvement in Common Core, a complex set of K-12 math and language arts curriculum benchmarks as well as high-stakes standardized tests....

DailyCaller.com: "Senate Republicans Vote Unanimously To Block Federal Mandate Of Common Core" (March 27, 2015)
http://www.dailycaller.com/2015/03/27/s ... ommon-core

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

alleviate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2015, 10:45 pm

Good. Thankfully, I never had to suffer through it, but hearing from my younger friends, it sounded absolutely horrible.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Mar 2015, 12:09 am

Good, Arizona was already going to opt out of it but I looked at some of my younger sister's homework and it is incomprehensible.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2015, 2:49 pm

Yes! This is exactly what we need. Common Core (and the SBAC/PARCC tests) are an absolute trainwreck of confusing problems, lots of short and long answer questions, and a pain in the butt for any public school student. We take the SBAC tests in two weeks after Spring Break. Ugh...I have already heard horror stories about that flawed test...and I have taken one of the English practice tests. That said test locked me out of the second half of the questions due to a major flaw in the system. The testing will take up 10 days for us! Teachers are p----d off at our school that they have lost 10 days of lesson plans, thanks to this Smarter Balanced BS. No wonder students are walking out of these tests. Many states will now require Common Core as a graduation requirement! 8O Watch that graduation rate go down the drain...if they don't get rid of it.

In WA, (I believe it was) two bills that would stop Common Core failed in the legislature. So much for getting rid of it here.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2015, 8:47 am

Update to my last post. These are juniors, 120 miles away in Seattle, that already passed the HSPE and hundreds are opting out. Good! My school just calls us juniors "guinea pigs" and wants us to "try our best." No - trying our best on a test that determines $$$ for a school, and evaluates teachers, doesn't help us at all. Even the creators say 60-70% failure rate for most grades. This might be one of the worst parts of No Child Left Behind I've ever seen. I may just be grabbing an opt out sheet later this week...if I am allowed to by district law and order.
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... ore-exams/