I composed a medieval theme soundtrack. Criticism needed

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 2:38 pm

https://soundcloud.com/user5999551/epic-flute-music-3

A little feedback, likes as well as likes-not, and constructive criticism is highly appreciated, before I publish my piece on YouTube.

Sino
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2015, 4:23 pm

It's not bad. The flute is elegant and sounds entirely organic, although the same cannot be said for the dramatic cymbals around 2:03 - they're a little too synthesized to really fit into the rest of the track. I caught a few stutters in the flute work here and there, although I'm not sure if this is a result of the mixing or just my ears tripping out.

My primary criticism is that, while technically competent, it's nothing special. At no point did this particular piece suddenly catch my attention, make me think "Oh - that's interesting". The first minute and a half seems almost like an embodiment of this - there's an undercurrent of tension that never actually pays off (and the cymbals don't help). I couldn't tell you why I found this to be the case - perhaps the melody is too conventional? perhaps it's just a matter of taste? - but I find it to be only well done, and little else.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

Sino wrote:
It's not bad. The flute is elegant and sounds entirely organic, although the same cannot be said for the dramatic cymbals around 2:03 - they're a little too synthesized to really fit into the rest of the track. I caught a few stutters in the flute work here and there, although I'm not sure if this is a result of the mixing or just my ears tripping out.

My primary criticism is that, while technically competent, it's nothing special. At no point did this particular piece suddenly catch my attention, make me think "Oh - that's interesting". The first minute and a half seems almost like an embodiment of this - there's an undercurrent of tension that never actually pays off (and the cymbals don't help). I couldn't tell you why I found this to be the case - perhaps the melody is too conventional? perhaps it's just a matter of taste? - but I find it to be only well done, and little else.

Thank you very much for your critique, which I highly appreciate.

I will continue to work on this, until I reach a final version for my YT-channel.

The undercurrent tension that never pays off, is in-fact what I try to work on, but it is good to have words to describe it that way, because then I can eventually get a little help elsewhere, on how to build more tension and excitement.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 6:58 pm

I like the style especially-- I've always liked film style.

I disagree with Sino on the "synthesized" vs "organic" sounds. People have been using synthesized/sampled work in end production music for years...Hans Zimmer anyone? I think for most lay people's ears they won't notice, only those of us with trained ears.

I do however agree with Sino that it sounds a little generic at the moment, but I do have a suggestion I think will help: don't avoid the dominant (V chord), sit on it. One example that caught my ear as an example of dominant vs tonic (I chord) play is the same cymbal crash Sino mentioned: the dominant resolves to the tonic in the bar before the cymbal roll, then starts the string section on the same tonic chord. Harmony analysis currently looks like this: V-I(resolution bar)- I(new section). Try changing the first I chord to a V or even a V7 (not necessarily renaissance style, but may fit). Harmony analysis would look like V-V(7)-I. That should give it motion, since the V always wants to resolve to the I. If you make that resolution before the impact of the cymbal crash you're taking away energy from said crash. The more the dominant harmony is played the more the listener desires the tonic harmony to be played, don't make it easy, really tease them with it.

I use samples to construct my orchestral music as well, I know how much "programming" goes into making things sound realistic and I can tell you've spent a good amount of time making the sounds mesh-- good effort and work, fix a few compositional techniques and you've got it.

Sino
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2015, 7:12 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I disagree with Sino on the "synthesized" vs "organic" sounds. People have been using synthesized/sampled work in end production music for years...Hans Zimmer anyone? I think for most lay people's ears they won't notice, only those of us with trained ears.

I'm not necessarily berating the fact that the cymbals are synthesized, but that, to me, they sound "tinny" and don't really fit in with the rest of the track - which, by comparison, is a lot more orchestrally organic. My ears aren't (unfortunately) trained, but it was one detail that particularly stood out for me.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 7:30 pm

Sino wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

I'm not necessarily berating the fact that the cymbals are synthesized, but that, to me, they sound "tinny" and don't really fit in with the rest of the track - which, by comparison, is a lot more orchestrally organic. My ears aren't (unfortunately) trained, but it was one detail that particularly stood out for me.

Yeah I wasn't trying to claim you didn't hear what you heard, and I do agree it currently sounds "off". Part of the reason I think it sounds "inorganic" at the moment is because it's empty harmonically, there's no harmonic motion leading into the actual crash so the only thing that catches the listeners focus is the cymbal sound. My experience with digitally created orchestral music leads me to believe that if the song isn't harmonically/melodically firm then the listener is forced to listen to the actual instruments, which in most cases aren't near as good as a live performance. I apologize for misunderstanding your point-- I have autism, it happens lol.

*side note: I forgot to mention in my first post I think you're doing a really good job with melody, thinkinginpictures. I think the next step you should look into in your composition training is digging into harmony.

theresaracette
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2015, 6:44 am

Personally I liked the sound track . I am big lover of music so I enjoy listening to different types of music track. Your soundtrack is elegant and am sure you can compose more better sound tracks. Recently I attended various music events held in Long Island and I really loved it.