Australian school principal cages an autistic boy

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 12:24 am

Autism Awareness Day news in the Southern Hemisphere - this happened to a 10 year old boy at a public system school in Australia last month.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-02/s ... ol/6368138

It's really appalling what is happening to ASD children all over the place - cages, bleach treatment, labelled "diseased' by AS, shocked with electricity by ABA 'therapists" - for God's sake, don't human rights apply to children on the spectrum?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 2:20 am

with a title like 'withdrawal space" it was likely meant to be some sort of messed up "accommodation". this is gaining awareness alright, albeit not the kind we'd want. :|

seems really counter intuitive. you're physically barring your own student from participating in class.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Diane Joseph from the ACT Education Directorate said it was an isolated example of very poor decision making.

Lovely bit of understated language, there.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 4:57 pm

B19 wrote:
Autism Awareness Day news in the Southern Hemisphere - this happened to a 10 year old boy at a public system school in Australia last month.

It's really appalling what is happening to ASD children all over the place - cages, bleach treatment, labelled "diseased' by AS, shocked with electricity by ABA 'therapists" - for God's sake, don't human rights apply to children on the spectrum?

I'm disgusted like you, but at least the educational authorities took appropriate action in suspending the school principal and ordering retraining of two of the educational staff. Interesting that the parents of the autistic child decided to keep their child at the school.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm

This makes me glad I am no longer in school at all.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 9:27 pm

B19 wrote:

Do human rights apply at school at all? Have you read West Virginia State Board of Education vs. Barnette (1943)?

This is depressing... but the primary purpose of school is to level away all the individuality of students to a state of conformity.
AS students don't conform as well, so they'll become far more extreme in their methods with them.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

The Master Butcher
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2015, 11:20 am

I was at a place called Carlton Palms.. It was just as bad only they were doing it to adults!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 7:25 pm

The Master Butcher wrote:
I was at a place called Carlton Palms.. It was just as bad only they were doing it to adults!

Please tell us more - where and what is this place, why does it exist, when was it started, when were you there, and who runs it, what do they aim to do, how do they try to do that and why?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 8:10 pm

Hmm, so we're one step away from being collared and treated as class pets in school rooms now...so glad I'm out of the educational system.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm

Newpaper reports from the Sentinel newspaper in Florida:
by STEPHEN HUDAK
Article: "Carlton Palms caregiver to get jail in scalding case"
Content issues: “Carlton Palms has a zero tolerance policy for ... paid by state Medicaid funds. Carlton Palms, the largest licensed complex ... investigation into the death of a 14-year-old autistic girl" ...

Article: Teen's death, abuse complaints, arrests bring state pressure on Carlton Palms
Content issues: ... APD wants to keep Carlton Palms from taking in ... behind Paige's death. During the past ... abuse or neglect at Carlton Palms' group homes ... from happening." Carlton Palms has been a concern ... director. Paige's death was especially ...

This is serious. Please read this article AND the comments following it, if like me you were not aware of this terrible place: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/tavares ... 58DQVIC9I9
What the f...?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2015, 8:32 pm

I think the woman in this promo for the place is the same one who was jailed for scalding a young inmate. The Sentinel showed a photograph of her too attached to the scalding assault article.

http://www.advoserv.com/careers/

The link provides some of the spin that they use to recruit staff - more people like that one? And an application form, if you want to be a double agent...