I feel like a friend just died...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Todd489
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:32 pm

Ok, this might sound stupid, but here it goes...

About 2 years ago I found this clearing way out in the woods. It's an elevated area about 4 meters high that overlooks a beautiful field full of shrubs, plants, grasses, flowers, etc. This field is arguably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. I would always come to see it whenever I was sad or angry because just looking at it made me feel a lot better about life.

Anyway, today my parents were fighting again and I was already depressed about something that happened friday at school, so I decided to go out in the woods in spite of the bad weather. I hadn't gotten to the clearing in almost 4 months. I was feeling alright until I came to the field.

It is no longer a field. It is a dug-up, flattened-out dirt pile covered in construction vehicles and surveyor's equipment. The shrubs and flowers are gone, all replaced with orange cones and wire-mesh fences. They're taking away my field and replacing it with something stupid like a parking lot or a big house for some fat bastard. I cried when I saw it. It was just a piece of land, but that field meant a lot to me. It was my sanctuary against the human race. I loved that field, and now it's gone. I feel terrible. I'm sad, angry, and confused, all at the same time. Why can't people leave things alone? Why do they have to kill everything that's beautiful to me and cover it in concrete?

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:38 pm

:( that's horrible!

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2007, 5:46 pm

I am sorry......in fact, it is as if your friend did just die. I live (& was born) in Alaska. I love AK since it's wild and endless. Find another place near you that is meaningful.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:52 pm

Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever. I do know how you feel.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:55 pm

I feel exactly like that. There are many beautiful areas in my local area being taken over by a big contractor building houses, and it's very depressing.

I feel just like you do -- why do they have to take over these beautiful places and turn them into things that are of a lesser value to me?

Kris

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:56 pm

this is how i get over a loss: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” ~Dr. Seuss

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 6:07 pm

That's beautiful. I try it all the time.

asperion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 7:32 pm

There seems to be this widespread mentality today that all land has to have something built on it; otherwise intelligent people shake their heads like big know-it-alls at the sight of open fields with nothing on them save for trees and brush, and think that it's just stupid that there isn't a house, an office complex, a parking lot, anything built there.

Their word for fields like the one you used as a retreat is "wasteland." (As in: it's wasted because there's nothing built on it.)

Such people are bulldozing us all (their own clever selves included) into a mass grave, and I guess nothing can stop them.

Beyond that: I fully empathize with your plight; all the former fields and wooded areas in my town are covered with McMansions now (they don't build ordinary houses that ordinary people can afford here anymore for some reason).

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2007, 12:06 am

it has one cause, overpopulation. in order to safe ourselves, we all need to stup f*****g. theres just not enough planet left.

dime_jaguar
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2007, 1:27 am

I guess it sucks, but we all have to grow up sometime, and maybe a hot chick will move in this new home :idea:

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 1:29 am

hypermind wrote:
it has one cause, overpopulation. in order to safe ourselves, we all need to stup f***ing. theres just not enough planet left.

We can f*** as much as we like. We just shouldn't sp***.

hypermind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2007, 5:47 pm

sp***?

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 5:50 pm

tinky wrote:
this is how i get over a loss: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.” ~Dr. Seuss

I like that :D

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 6:58 pm

That's terrible. In my town, there was this giant patch of land where cows grazed, and there were deer there as well, and people sold alfalfa there, and now it's filled with ugly houses that look the same as eachother. And a gas station with a Jack-In-The-Box.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 7:28 pm

There's a mountain by my house where a developer has started to cut into the side of it to build some multimillion dollar houses. He's been on the news claiming that he's going to landscape it so it won't be visible form the road. For now, though, it's pretty depressing to look at.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 7:55 pm

Your experiences in the field are exactly like one of Wordsworth's "moments in time". Thanks for sharing this. Hopefully, your experience in the field will continue to reveal moral truths to you even as you age. Maybe the discovery that your place of refuge was being discovered is also a "moment in time" of sorts and will also provide lessons of morality to you for a long time.

janicka wrote:
There's a mountain by my house where a developer has started to cut into the side of it to build some multimillion dollar houses. He's been on the news claiming that he's going to landscape it so it won't be visible form the road. For now, though, it's pretty depressing to look at.

Look on the bright side, you'll be living beside all the rich folks. And maybe your property value will go up too. If you rent, now might be a good time to buy your home if possible.