Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 7:53 pm

Wouldn't the less wealthy people drink beer instead of wine? I think even in warm climates beer is cheaper than wine. The ancient Egyptians and other peoples of the Middle-east produced a lot of beer. The water-to-wine miracle would be seen as even more special because wine was an expensive commodity maybe?
I recently read an article on Richard III, where they analysed his remains and found he consumed large quantities of wine and expensive meat. They concluded that he must have been one of the very wealthy in England at the time.
In the Germanic and Greek religions the gods drank mead and wine, so they were likely seen as valuable.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 8:02 pm

Another thing Jesus said was, "it is in vain that they worship me for they teach doctrines of men as commandments".
A lot of people would like Jesus to be made in their miserable self-righteous image, they have a nasty surprise coming.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 10:30 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Well, first-of-all, it MIGHT just be that your great-grandmother believes that it's actually drunkenness that's against the Bible, and not drinking A glass of wine, for instance. She knows drinking can lead to drunkenness----so, to be on the safe side, she just doesn't drink, at all.

Secondly, people pick and choose what Bible "instructions" they want to follow. Ask your gg if she's ever eaten shell-fish!!

Thirdly, it's quite common, IMO, for people your gg's age to "preach" / follow the OLD Testament----when Jesus came-along, He gave us "The Bible Lite"----He wasn't as concerned with drinking as He was with our taking care of our "brother".

The funny thing is that while eating shellfish is banned, but drinking drinking isn't banned and is almost encouraged.
"Go then, eat your bread in happiness and drink your wine with a cheerful heart; for God has already approved your works." - Ecclesiastes 9:7

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x