White Police Kills Black Man as He Runs-Away.....

Page 5 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

It's possible that the taser was taken and used, and dropped by the suspect. It's possible that the taser was picked up and put near the body for security afterwards. That's equally likely to be what happened (or more so, really). It's possible the officer is lying and the taser was never controlled by the suspect.

The suspect's fingerprints being on the taser would be the main point here.

I read that the suspect and officer were fighting on the ground for several minutes. There's a lot of reasonable doubt there regarding a murder.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 4:28 pm

Dillogic wrote:
It's possible that the taser was taken and used, and dropped by the suspect. It's possible that the taser was picked up and put near the body for security afterwards. That's equally likely to be what happened (or more so, really). It's possible the officer is lying and the taser was never controlled by the suspect.

The suspect's fingerprints being on the taser would be the main point here.

I read that the suspect and officer were fighting on the ground for several minutes. There's a lot of reasonable doubt there regarding a murder.

I'm through arguing. I'd rather go with the evidence that's been presented than suppositions based on ideology. I'll wait until the officer is convicted, then I'll re-post on this thread...shouldn't take more than a year it's a fairly open and close case.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 6:10 pm

What evidence? All we have is the video so far, and some statements.

You need to prove what you saw in the video is murder if you're basing your case on that.

You can't just say shooting someone fleeing, and dropping an object near the body, equals murder and false witness/evidence.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 9:19 pm

Dillogic wrote:
You can't just say shooting someone fleeing, and dropping an object near the body, equals murder and false witness/evidence.

You can. Many have--including the prosecutor.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 4:57 pm

Adamantium wrote:

You need more than that to prove murder in court.

You have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he wanted to kill the individual fleeing for unjust reasons; you've got the act, which is the shooting (which we see), but you don't have the reason for the shooting, as we only see the act. You can't prove anything regarding the "planting" from what we see.

It very well could be murder, but it very well could be a justified homicide or lesser charge than murder (manslaughter, for example). The point being, just shooting someone fleeing doesn't mean it's murder for a police officer (it usually is for us, though).

(Jumping the gun is a big problem with cases like this and the media circus surrounding it -- that can cause equal or more problems than the initial case itself. Case in point, Michael Brown.)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm

Perhaps you know better than the prosecutor, chief of police and the head of the Law Enforcement Legal Defense fund.

Time will tell.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 8:40 pm

If they're certain, and it's not just due to media influence, then they obviously have evidence outside of what the public knows, which is pointing to murderous intent (of course, that's a big "duh" moment with them having evidence that the public doesn't have).

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 4:36 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

You need more than that to prove murder in court.

You have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he wanted to kill the individual fleeing for unjust reasons; you've got the act, which is the shooting (which we see), but you don't have the reason for the shooting, as we only see the act. You can't prove anything regarding the "planting" from what we see.

It very well could be murder, but it very well could be a justified homicide or lesser charge than murder (manslaughter, for example). The point being, just shooting someone fleeing doesn't mean it's murder for a police officer (it usually is for us, though).

(Jumping the gun is a big problem with cases like this and the media circus surrounding it -- that can cause equal or more problems than the initial case itself. Case in point, Michael Brown.)

What exactly did he want to do by shooting an unarmed man in the back 8 times. Also, what could possibly make the murder a legal act (reason) that this video supposedly doesn't show? Actually, we can show he was planting the taser as he reported that the suspect was using it to threaten the cop. How exactly does that happen when the suspect is maybe 100 feet from it when he's shot in the back? Lastly, prosecutors claim intent with less than what they have all the time. You think the cop acting under the color of authority should have less responsibility than we ordinary citizens should have?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 9:48 pm

I'm sure that we all know that the cop that did this is sitting in jail charged with murder.

Also considering the fact that I live in the state where this happened, I find it ironic that if this had happened in a more 'progressive, socially consious' state the cop would be doing his job today, business as usual, with little to no fanfare as to what had happened due to police union interference and obfuscation over what happened.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 8:11 am

Fogman wrote:
I'm sure that we all know that the cop that did this is sitting in jail charged with murder.

Also considering the fact that I live in the state where this happened, I find it ironic that if this had happened in a more 'progressive, socially consious' state the cop would be doing his job today, business as usual, with little to no fanfare as to what had happened due to police union interference and obfuscation over what happened.

Yeah, like South Carolina is well known for fairness when it comes to black people. Good luck with that...

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 8:22 am

pcuser wrote:
Fogman wrote:

Yeah, like South Carolina is well known for fairness when it comes to black people. Good luck with that...

The law-enforcement officer was jailed initially ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... y-day.html ). I don't know if he remains jailed, but I doubt it if he has a lawyer and isn't a flight risk.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 11:56 am

Fogman wrote:

He is a member of a police union. The South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers Association declined to provide him with legal representation, because his case doesn't meet their criteria. But they have still provided support by raising funds for him. So even in a non-progressive, non-socially conscious state like South Carolina there is still police union interference, but there is not much they can do to defend a cop who shoots a suspect in the back.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Fogman wrote:

The law-enforcement officer was jailed initially ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... y-day.html ). I don't know if he remains jailed, but I doubt it if he has a lawyer and isn't a flight risk.

He was denied bail at his last court appearance, and his next court appearance is not until August 21. So the only way he could not still be in jail, is if he has escaped, and the judge seems to think that he is a flight risk.

Who is Michael Slager, the officer who shot Walter Scott?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 12:26 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
He was denied bail at his last court appearance, and his next court appearance is not until August 21. So the only way he could not still be in jail, is if he has escaped, and the judge seems to think that he is a flight risk...

That is good to know! :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 12:54 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
He was denied bail at his last court appearance, and his next court appearance is not until August 21. So the only way he could not still be in jail, is if he has escaped, and the judge seems to think that he is a flight risk...

That is good to know! :wink:

Seconded.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 1:13 pm

pcuser wrote:
Fogman wrote:

Historically it sucked, however, I've seen about as much racism and bigotry in the allegedly 'socially progressive' state of Maine as I've seen down here. People down here who are racist seem to be more up front about it, but in New England, they're much more covert about it, and the ones who are racist are the ones who loudly proclaim themselves to have progressed beyond that.