I've never won a trophy what should I do?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

WillTheSpartan1997
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2015, 9:40 pm

My name is Will I'm 17 years old and I have aspergers syndrome, I have this issue of not winning anything all I ever won was a small perfect attendence trophy in the 4th grade, a small 3rd place trophy back when I use to do pinewood derby, and a 3rd place science club trophy I won in the 6th grade, other than that I have never won anything big, people around me have all won something big, my little brothers all won 1st place trophies and one got a certificate signed by THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES HIMSELF for having straight A's all year I on the other hand struggle in math and science I have a B and a C respectiivly, I've tried to get a youtube play button award they issue to people who get 100'000 subscribers but nobody watches my videos and no body subscribes to me witch is BS because did youtube for 2 years and nobody will subscribe to me, does this mean my parents pay more attention to my brothers, NO, they just never been i my stuation before so they don't know how to help me, I just feel sad because I never properly won a single thing in my life and I need advice so that would mean so much if I could have some help

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

you've won more than i have. i fell okay about that. i don't compare myself to others. everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 10:21 pm

I won a perfect attendance award in school. Don't diminish that accomplishment it is very difficult to do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 2:57 am

The only trophy that I've ever won was for 1st place in the Idaho state science fair. and that was the only trophy I've ever won in my entire life. Sadly though, I don't have it anymore. BTW: I've never won any small ones ether.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 4:23 am

I've never won anything either.

Many years ago when I turned 40, I had honestly felt so beaten up by life (didn't yet even know that I was on the spectrum, just knew everything had been a battle) that I bought myself a little silver charm trophy.

It's just tiny, meant to be worn on a bracelet but I don't wear it, I just keep it on a shelf. It was my trophy to myself for just making it through 40 years and still be alive.

It's not the same as actually winning something for something, but it meant something to me to acknowledge I'd gotten through a lot of things that were hard enough that I felt like I'd won a situation just by getting through the experience and often alone and without help -- both parents dying, a very sad divorce, international migrations, living alone for the first time, getting my drivers licence late in life, etc.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 7:07 am

Imo, trophies are highly overrated. It is nice to win some, but all to often, someones self-esteem or view of someone is affected by the amount of trophies.

I myself have 1 real trophy (2nd place in a kids judo tournament), 2 "top 10%" certificates for science fairs and a row of "thanks for participating" crosses, but those don't count as all participants got them.

Really, don't stress it, if you are ever 4th place at 5 things, you are a lot more valuable as someone who is 1st at one, but 10th-lower at 4 others.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 8:18 am

Neither did I. What's the big deal?

The only thing I even won was a Harry Potter knowledge contest in middle school - Harry Potter was my special interest back then so I got 100% correct answers. And I got some "math contest participation" awards but everyone who attended the contest got it too so it was nothing important. Oh, and in 2nd class of elementary school I got a badge "I can read really well", that was quite nice.

Don't compare yourself to others. Just do what you feel like doing. If you get an award - good, if you don't - who cares, you did it for yourself, not for others. Trophies are overrated anyway. Imagine you have to go in front of the whole school to get your reward. Not so much of a fun, right?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 9:21 am

Quote:

make your own.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 9:34 am

Theodore-Roosevelt.com wrote:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore-Roosevelt.com: "The Man in the Arena"
http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html

This says it all. You dared greatly and are above those who never tried.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 9:54 am

I didn't won any trophies as well in my 27.

They really matter nothing - trophies are invented by people to motivate others doing something useful for those who will give an award.

The same is with war medals - cheap way to let soldiers lose their lives for political interests, for the piece of metal on ribbon. Of course it's much more complex but this is very important function of all medals, trophies, prizes - to force peope into competition on behalf of organizer.

So don't worry if you wasn't so useful for others, they won't care anyway. More important is that YOU learned something new, got skills, knowledge, or even just had great time. You shouldn't consider yourself by some trophies, use your own opinion and not others'.

As said above - make your own trophy :-)

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2015, 11:27 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Theodore-Roosevelt.com wrote:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore-Roosevelt.com: "The Man in the Arena"
http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html

This says it all. You dared greatly and are above those who never tried.

I find that saying quite hilarious, coming from a guy who killed defenseless animals for fun.

CanisHumanis

13 Apr 2015, 11:39 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:

make your own.

That's the first thing that popped into my head.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 11:53 am

genesis529 wrote:
I find that saying quite hilarious, coming from a guy who killed defenseless animals for fun.

Wikipedia.org: Wikipedia.org: 'Theodore Roosevelt' wrote:
...Roosevelt's youth was largely shaped by his poor health and his need to overcome severe asthma, which has a debilitating impact on the body and personality. He repeatedly experienced sudden nighttime asthma attacks that caused near deathlike experiences of being smothered to death, terrifying Theodore and his parents. Doctors had no cure. Nevertheless, he was energetic and mischievously inquisitive....

Wikipedia.org: "Theodore Roosevelt"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt

I believe that his understanding of persevering to overcome disadvantage came from his chronic childhood diseases. As for killing animals for sport alone, nobody beats the royal family of the United Kingdom, especially Prince William and Harry. They were known to obliterate the entire wildlife within at least one estate over a few days. Now, THAT is a murderous personality. Despite their mother's best intentions, they will never know disadvantage like Roosevelt did.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Gleaves
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2015, 2:33 am

Make your own. People aren’t going to inquire into detail regarding what you won at school. Although I strongly believe that trophies are overrated, it would still go a long way in convincing people that you have what it takes. I do understand exactly how you feel because I’ve been there done that. I got myself a chunk of trophies from Hoult Hellewell in Toronto. Just having it around made me feel good about myself. I hope you try the same thing.