Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 12:48 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
ahayes wrote:
Jameson wrote:
ahayes wrote:
Jameson wrote:
lpq wrote:
if there's ever a need they could do like apple which uses the linux kernel and then build everything on top of it

Last I heard, Apple doesn't use a Linux kernel, they use Mach. Unix-like, but different and closed-source.

Apple uses XNU which is a Mach-BSD hybrid which is used in Darwin. OSX is built on top of Darwin. Most importantly, Darwin is open source, that source can be downloaded here: http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

Ah, I didn't know they re-opened the source. I know they closed it a couple years ago.

I think it's been open all along.

But if they turn to the dark side the BSD licence permits them to close source their distribution.

They probably will with the release of Leopard because that's primarily how they OSx86 project is getting OSX to run on non-Apple hardware. (that is, cutting out the parts that check for EMI and replacing it with device independant compiled Darwin code)

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 1:33 pm

i read a msg by Microsoft explaining the Linux concept as "internet communism" before. i found it rather amusing.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 1:47 pm

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 1:49 pm

geek wrote:

The US military uses Linux.

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 1:52 pm

ahayes wrote:
geek wrote:
big picture here

So do many European governments.

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

geek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 2:09 pm

ahayes wrote:

The NSA has worked on it quite a bit as well. Even the White House site runs it: http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report ... ehouse.gov

I was just poking a little fun at Microsoft's ridiculous charges.

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 2:12 pm

geek wrote:
ahayes wrote:

The NSA has worked on it quite a bit as well. Even the White House site runs it: http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report ... ehouse.gov

I was just poking a little fun at Microsoft's ridiculous charges.

Lol... the listed country for the White House web site is France...

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 6:57 pm

lpq wrote:
if there's ever a need they could do like apple which uses the linux kernel and then build everything on top of it

Although it's been said before, Apple uses the Mach Kernel with BSD.

I agree though, that MS would take the Kernel, and as a result Kernel Development would advance considerably. What would also happen is that MS then implement their own proprietary DOS shell, and would then develop their own proprietary lib's, bin's, and api's, abandon X11 for their own UI/Desktop, and would more or less continue on in the same direction that they have been. They'd probably change the entire directory structure, and utilise NTFS.

What could happen in the Linux community because of this is that NTFS support would be greatly improved, however Linux boxes would most likely have problems with windows viruses ,spyware,worms and all the other crap associated with the dominant OS being based on Linux.

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2007, 2:21 am

geek wrote:

Rather a different story I think. Communism is a political ideology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism) and Linux is not politically related. It's merely software. Software with no profit.

That's my two pence worth.