Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 5:15 pm

Hi all,

I used to be member of this website so many years ago, in the early days of creation. I was back in high school. Now I am at the second university doing a postgraduate degree.

I'm Matt from Brisbane. I am 24 years old aspie, and have hearing loss. I use both disabilities to define who I am. I am very admired of who I am which that makes me feel so successful at what I am doing; such as doing postgraduate degree at University of Queensland, have two scholarships and three potential jobs this year.

I been diagnosed with ASD at age of 12. Spent living hell through high school by bullies, harassment and assaults. At my first uni in 2010, I was mocked by a lot of college students about my behaviour is different to the majority. I couldn't handle people's stupid poor attitudes. I know Australia may be known to the world that have racism and discrimination problems due to rise of diversity. I understand that.

Now I am at UQ in Brisbane. It is my first semester. I meet more people than my entire life, they are mostly friendly. But still their brains are wired differently which makes me feel sad and socially isolated. I try to send awareness to them but they still accused of my strange behaviour. But, many international students I met from Indonesia and other parts of Asia, some Europeans and New Zealand always never see I have a problem compared to the Aussies, Americans (including Latin) and the UK sees I do have a problem.

I can see the cultural differences; whose drinks alcohol as part of their culture is always the people can't be bothered with ASD or my hearing loss. They become rude, stuck up and unwelcoming. They told me they still friends with me but so sick of it. I have lived so many years through painful friendships and struggling for a girlfriend, and a job too. People, including those doesn't know I have ASD see classifies me as a mental problem. People can tell from my body language.

I spent ten years of counselling, trainings and seminars about exploring myself and learning experiences. It did helped me a lot and I learnt that not everyone is my frend and be prepared of stuck ups!

Hope to meet you all on a similar matter here!

Ciao!

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 8:08 pm

Hey Matt welcome. :sunny:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 3:12 am

Hey, I think I remember you. Welcome back. What are you studying at UQ?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 3:37 pm

Welcome back to Wrong Planet!

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 4:53 pm

Thanks everyone. So surprised that you may remember me. It has been like seven years or something.