Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 5:43 pm

Real friendship is impossible. You could be best friends with someone and feel connected with them but it is temporary. Often people drift apart and you realise the friendship was only meant for a time and the connection you had with them was an illusion.

All relationships good and bad are an illusion; the purpose is to create some sort of common ground to help in achieving goals. If a group has a common goal it can work together to achieve it. The purpose of all relationships is really only a means to an end nothing more and nothing less.

Whether you agree or disagree; it's up to you.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 12:37 am

My last real friendship which was based on gaming interests alone was back in my primary school years at the age of 9-10 where we shared games we liked back when it was just the playstation and n64, and I always thought about games and never did work in class, but then they moved to another country and I really didn't see anyone else as a friend and that destroyed my confidence in people, as well as trust and honesty or maybe unless another someone didn't share my exact interests I wouldn't feel comfortable befriending anyone.

In conclusion, 'real friendship' is possible but in the case of it lasting; thats another matter.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 2:14 am

My definition of what a 'True friend' is has gotten more and more strict over the years.

I've basically filtered out a vast majority.

I only really have THREE true friends.

They are also still all my friends.

My best friend I met in primary school as a child. We began being friends the 6th grade at age 11 and we're still best friends now at 16 and even plan on possibly sharing an apartment together in the future when we are both young adults.

So that's what I'd call true friendship.

Even after we had both gone our seperate ways we've remained friends throughout our lives.

My other two friends one of them I knew since the 8th grade, the other since last year (they are brothers, one older than the other) and I'm still friends with them.

I ended up moving to a new city, so we don't talk much anymore and we have drifted apart a bit but I still plan on visiting one day when I finish high school and have the free-time...

So yes true friendship can exist and last as long as you are willing to make the effort.

I agree though that the majority of my friendships did not last very long or even if they did they eventually came to an end.

I had two friends from primary school, one of them continued to be my friend the other drifted apart. Two years of the three of us being good friends ended.

Common goal?

If 'getting through life successfully' is the common goal, then yes this is what friendship is, but that wouldn't make it a bad thing.

Friendship is about supporting and looking out for one another, sharing beliefs values and sharing life together.

Me and my best friend have a common goal: Finish high school, and live the best lives together (e.g have the most fun, have the best friends, the best relationships, etc). It almost feels like teamwork/a partnership.

If this is what you believe friendship this, than I say use it to your advantage, and do not focus on the negatives...

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 4:53 pm

Quote:

If 'getting through life successfully' is the common goal, then yes this is what friendship is, but that wouldn't make it a bad thing.

Friendship is about supporting and looking out for one another, sharing beliefs values and sharing life together.

Me and my best friend have a common goal: Finish high school, and live the best lives together (e.g have the most fun, have the best friends, the best relationships, etc). It almost feels like teamwork/a partnership.

If this is what you believe friendship this, than I say use it to your advantage, and do not focus on the negatives...

Agreed. Even if to me friendship is only a temporary thing it can be beneficial for everyone and it's best that way.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 8:29 pm

I agree fully with Outrider.

My only friend is a true friend.
Though the problem I have with him, is that he's so used to everything being about him and getting his way.
He's generally a nice person, who has been "corrupted" by his family's wealth and his parents catering to him.
The first few months I knew him, he was going on about how this grandparents were going to buy him a house and/or condo as his inheritance.

Now he is more grounded in reality, because of me from what others have told us.

It's not unusual for him to get obsessed with work to the point he doesn't talk to anyone for weeks on end.

We do connect deeply and greatly benefit from each others presence.
He has helped me more than everyone else during my darkest period (which was the past few years).

Though if he really wants the family life and friends, then he has to grow a lot in the next few years.
So I need to talk to him soon... Hopefully he will get to upgrade his iPhone 5 a few days early to a 6 (His 5 is on the fritz).