Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TyroneShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2004, 3:07 am

:D "Dude - Where's My Country?" is extremely recommendable! "Bowling for Columbine" was on the TV over here during the weekend - I missed it :evil: ! Its no biggie though, as I saw it 8 times at the cinema :lol:

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jul 2004, 4:18 am

TyroneShoelaces wrote:
:D "Dude - Where's My Country?" is extremely recommendable!

Yup. It's one of Moore's better books: not quite so disorganized as "Stupid White Men," overall a quite biting and entertaining satire. Now all we have to do is figure out how to find our country. :roll:

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Feb 2005, 9:25 pm

my favourite novels in no particular order:

Toni Morrison - Beloved, Song of Solomon, The Bluest Eye and pretty much all/any of her stuff in fact...
Marge Piercy - Woman on the Edge of Time
George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four
Ken Kesey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Alice Walker - Meridian and The Third Life of Grange Copeland (don't read any of her later stuff though, unless you really like hippy-dippy psychotherapy stuff)
Ursula le Guin - The Dispossessed
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World (I really, and i think many other AS people will also, identify with the Savage in this)
Louis de Bernieres - Captain Corelli's Mandolin and also his Latin American trilogy...

as you can see i have a bit of thing for African-American literature, for dystopias and also for magic realism...

Captain_Brain
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2005, 12:08 am

I know these books are "commercial" & "mainstream" and that but I absolutely adore:

Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

Alright alright and I know "comic books" aren't books but I have to put these down here:

The Invisibles series by Grant Morrison

and

The Adventures of Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by F C Ware

kitkatsavvy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2005, 8:01 am

eek.. i dont read anymore?? why.. because my mind has paid the ultimate price for reading too much!! information overload!1 since i could start to read, i started to read my parnets encyclopaedias when i was like 5 or 6 .. i dindt understnad very much but i kept reading.. also i read allllll the books mum had.. i read evedryting i could... milk cartons.. newspapers evyerthing.. no wonder i flipped outtwice and had 2 ward admissions in six months.. first for panic disorder.. second for psychosis..

so i dont read books at all now..... my mind has stepped over the edge already!! sorry. but ive read and learnt WAY too much.... i wonder if anyone else has reached that stage where they have to stop themselves from reading too much (ie.. an internet site) or start to get a bit obsessive over some information.. oh well
too bad :x

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2005, 9:54 pm

i just got a new book, "Paddy Whacked: the story of the irish-american gangster" by T.E. English
Also, "Red Mafiya: How the Russian mob invaded America." by Robert Friedman is very entertaining.
A

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2005, 3:28 am

i'm fond of bukowski, kerouac and knut hamsun

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2005, 1:41 pm

car_crash wrote:
i'm fond of bukowski, kerouac and knut hamsun

Who are they?
A

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2005, 3:10 pm

I like to read, but not as much as some people with AS seem to. I've usually got a book on the go, but don't always finish it. I'm currently reading The Trial by Kafka. It's bizarre, but not so much so that it's not disturbing. On a more contemporary note, I've read most of the stuff written by Chris Ryan and Andy McNab - ex SAS guys, so it's lots of killing which might not suit some people. On the subject of killing - big time - how about the Iliad and Aeneid; Homer and Virgil. I read those over xmas, English translations of course :lol:. I wonder what stuff written today will be read as enthusiastically by people in 2000 years time.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2005, 5:38 pm

If your into the SAS, there is some real interesting stuff on them during ww2. look it up. the killing dont bother me, it just makes things interesting(lol)
A

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 3:06 pm

Well axelcat, you're right there; it does make things interesting. Not killing for the sake of it, but in the context of one side pitting wits and might against the other for the highest possible stakes. Not sure the ladies would agree with that, though.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 4:58 pm

i know some ladies that enjoy it
A

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 9:02 pm

Taineyah wrote:
If you're interested in world building on a grandiose scale, read anything by Anne McCaffrey, one of the top world builders of our time!!

Don't even get me started on Anne McCaffrey. The Dragonriders of Pern are one of my all time faves.

I would also recommend The Seventh Towerseries by Garth Nix (He knows George Lucas, and half the world knows what he's famous for.) The story is rather complicated, but it is set in two different worlds: The Dark World, where a huge dark Veil blocks out the sun, and where an elite race of mages known as the Chosen use special stones called Sunstones to provide light, and who use shadow beings called Spiritshadows to serve them. The other world is Aenir, where many spirit creatures dwell. These creatures become Spiritshadows when they cross to the Dark World. Chosen, if they have a primary Sunstone, can cross into Aenir and back with it. The story goes when the Spiritshadows revolt against the Chosen, causing a war between the Spiritshadows and the humans. Meanwhile, a boy of the third lowest level in the Chosen caste system, Tal, climbs to the top of one of seven towers to steal a Sunstone in order to replace the one his father took before he mysteriously disappeared. He falls from the tower, right into a hidden conspiracy, the ever-present threat of inter-dimensional war, and into his own destiny... of which i will not speak of, for fear of spoiling the story, and because i have rambled on quite enough. Sayonara, everyone!

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2005, 8:32 am

Captain_Brain wrote:
I know these books are "commercial" & "mainstream" and that but I absolutely adore:

Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

Alright alright and I know "comic books" aren't books but I have to put these down here:

The Invisibles series by Grant Morrison

and

The Adventures of Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by F C Ware

you got good taste my man!