Do people with Aspeger's listen to old music?

Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 9:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I would like to see a trend away from the anapestic beat so common in today's music.

Anapestic beat? The heck is that?

dr. john diamond MD wrote about it extensively, most notably in a book called "your body doesn't lie" about the dangers of pop music which used this beat, played at high volume for extended periods. for an aural example, recite a limerick, those are anapestic. applied to music, it is notable for the lack of a backbeat, especially in disco and techno and such. it is a rhythm that is antagonistic to the heart beat.

Is this type of music really dangerous to listen to? I mean, I've heard of people who have had heart attacks from loud bass and who have sustained hearing damage from going to too many concerts, but is just listening on headphones or normal house speakers that bad?

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2015, 9:37 pm

I'm stuck in the 20th century, music, fashion and personality wise. I connect to rock, jazz, country and pop from back then, I have no connection with today's music at all. I am 25 too.

DIEHARDER163
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm

People with Aspergers are generally much less susceptible to peer pressure and following the crowd than their neurotypical counterparts, so I guess that would make them more open minded when it comes to discovering music.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I would like to see a trend away from the anapestic beat so common in today's music.

Anapestic beat? The heck is that?

dr. john diamond MD wrote about it extensively, most notably in a book called "your body doesn't lie" about the dangers of pop music which used this beat, played at high volume for extended periods. for an aural example, recite a limerick, those are anapestic. applied to music, it is notable for the lack of a backbeat, especially in disco and techno and such. it is a rhythm that is antagonistic to the heart beat.

Is this type of music really dangerous to listen to? I mean, I've heard of people who have had heart attacks from loud bass and who have sustained hearing damage from going to too many concerts, but is just listening on headphones or normal house speakers that bad?

according to the good doctor, in a word, yes. at high volumes it has a visceral effect, especially on the circulatory system. by high volume I'm talking about the frequencies that carry the rhythm of most pop music, namely the bass range, reproduced at full gut-quaking room-pressurizing volume- I'm talking headbanger and discotheque loud. I would guess that at more typical apartment-dweller levels, it would be more benign in its effects.

Sunnyboy2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2015, 9:06 pm

I'm an avid listener to the music from the 50s to the mid-90s, but most of my interests fall into the 50s to 80s.
Real fond of Boston, Phil Collins, ELO, Peter Gabriel, The Four Seasons, etc.
Being 23.. I started this 'oldies' kick back when I was about 17.. Never not be a fan of the old stuff, gotta love it and the cars of the past.

spatialthinker93
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2015, 11:24 am

I've always listened to Old music, aswell as new music. My father has always had a great interest in music , so when I was a child he always put on a CD with all the most popular classical masterpieces. He also introduced me to Jazz, prog rock(70's and 80's), jazz/fusion, funk and heavy rock from all era's they have existed. I think that alot of the new music is good aswell, but I mainly listen to what I would consider as "Complete",or well written music, and that is abit restricted in the newer music for my part, as many of these new songs are produced trough technology, and not too much musical understanding or talent. But do not take me wrong, a consequence of it being simpler to get your songs out, you will always find something of quality as long as you know where to find it. I also want to point out that everyone's tastes are different and thus there are no right or wrongs regarding musical taste, and what is stated over is just MY opninion and nothing more. I see people over mention their age , so if that should for some reason be a essential part of this topic; I am 21.

Kirjava
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 May 2015, 11:43 am

Because Queen and Rush are infinitely better than Bieber and Jedward.

nomad42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2015, 10:53 pm

I really enjoy some late instrumental's from the 60's (Paul Mauriat, Ferrante & Teicher) Some 70's rock (E.L.O., Moody Blues, Boston, Kansas) some disco (Giorgio Moroder, Donna Summer, Meco,) 80's New Wave (ABC, Thompson Twins, Kim Wilde, Human League) late 80's dance music (Stacey Q, Expose) 90's techno (Cause & Effect, Ace Of Base) mid 00's pop (Emma Bunton, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Rachel Stevens) late 00's alt. rock (Kasabian, Last Shadow Puppets, Editors)So I have some favorites from every decade, but 1979-1991 is an obsession, and spent way too much time memorizing Billboard charts on Billboard google. :nerdy:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 10:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
according to the good doctor, in a word, yes. at high volumes it has a visceral effect, especially on the circulatory system. by high volume I'm talking about the frequencies that carry the rhythm of most pop music, namely the bass range, reproduced at full gut-quaking room-pressurizing volume- I'm talking headbanger and discotheque loud. I would guess that at more typical apartment-dweller levels, it would be more benign in its effects.

Just about anything is detrimental to your health when at such deafaning levels.

As for the thread's original question... I don't think having Asperger's has much of an affect on someone's musical tastes. I suspect the ratio between NT people that don't listen to the popular music of the day is about even with those of us that have Asperger's.

My personal taste is all over the place, but I'll always be a metalhead. That listens to pop music... :lol:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:16 pm

Kirjava wrote:
Because Queen and Rush are infinitely better than Bieber and Jedward.

That's not even a fair comparison. :P Queen and Rush are better than 99% of the music being made today, let alone Justin Bieber.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:17 pm

^^^
poor bustin jeeber :mrgreen:

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:28 pm

Everyone loves to hate Bieber, but he's just a product of the masses, and he's far from being the only sh***y pop star.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:32 pm

if he wasn't so obnoxious in his behavior, I would not even think of him.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:38 pm

He's hardly the only obnoxious celebrity out there. He just gets more press time because people either love him or love to hate him... people eat that s**t up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:42 pm

yes, he's conveniently hateable :lol:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 4:08 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Everyone loves to hate Bieber, but he's just a product of the masses, and he's far from being the only sh***y pop star.

This. There has been sh***y pop music for as long as the very notion of pop music has existed. I remember hating some of the s**t I heard growing up in the late 90s and early 2000s. And guess what? People try to claim it's better than modern pop! Not. :P