Do people with Aspeger's listen to old music?

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2015, 3:01 pm

I personally love listening to old music. I'm into 60's and 70's bands right now, which is pretty interesting, because I never really listened to them before (not as much as I do now). I actually think it's a matter of personal preference whether people with Aspergers listen to old music or not. :D

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 4:41 pm

I also love old music. Reggae, Rap, and R&B especially have all suffered from the modern "auto-tune" phenomenon.

invaderhorizongreen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 6:44 pm

I like really old stuff like swing and big band music, though some of the 70's is good too. I also love to listen to the old radio dramas too.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 6:48 pm

The two major kinds of music I listen to primarily both have classic in the name. I still listen to classic rock, born and raised, and classic which I always enjoy telling people that it helped to inspire metal. Both relatively old, especially by what most NT's consider to be old now a days

Sino
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2015, 12:56 am

Looks like I'm the exception here. Much of what I listen to tends to be contemporary and rarely older than 20 years; the "oldest" thing I've put on this past week or so is probably stuff from Joe Henderson. Otherwise, a lot of cutting-edge jazz, alternative rock, and other indie crap you ordinarily wouldn't run into on the radio.

I think the question is less "Do people with AS listen to old music?" and more like "Do people with AS listen to good music?"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 1:18 am

I specialize in old musics [from the 20s through the 80s] and the digital audio restoration of the analog portion of that timeframe.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 1:26 am

Maybe it's a sensory issue? Several people have mentioned disliking autotune.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 1:49 am

autotune is a useful tool to extract utility from futility as far as a singer's voice goes. but when it is used as a patent artifice, it grates on my ears.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Apr 2015, 2:01 am

I like some auto tune stuff.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2015, 7:06 am

It's the manufactured garbage that tends to use autotune. Many modern bands don't use it.

I do love old music, classic etc. Even downloaded a tonne of old cylinder recordings from late 19th century/early 20th century.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:43 pm

This song is strange in that it seems to be using simulated or modulated auto-tune.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

18 Apr 2015, 8:48 pm

Yes, I have a thing for 80s music. Some late 70s and early 90s, as well. Today's crap that passes for music.... UGH.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 9:43 pm

One of my favorites

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 10:29 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
I am just curious because I am 22 and I love 80s music. Most people my age listen to today's music. I also like a lot of songs from the 60s and 70s. I know that Elliot Rodger, the Santa Barbara shooter who had Asperger's, listened to 80s music so I was wondering if aspies tend to listen to music that is from before their generation. I've always enjoyed classic music even as a kid. I can't stand most of the crap that is out now. A lot of teenagers and young adults listen to all that rap crap and people who cannot sing. I've never been into that. I've always enjoyed 80s music and music not from my generation.

I'm a year older than you and I like listening to a variety of music from both today and past decades. I also like music from various genres. Part of that has to do with the fact that my dad used to play a lot of Rock, Metal, Pop, R&B, and Disco from the 70s and 80s not to mention a little bit of Beatles from the 60s when I was growing up. One of the oldest, and possibly strangest, songs I like is The Banana Boat Song by Harry Belafonte and that was from the 50s. So I think something like that is fairly common.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 12:39 am

80s music is old? I heard it when it was new and wasn't too fond of it.

Top 20 hits of the 80s

I like music from any period and I'm always looking for new music. I'm attracted to despair, alienation, and a heavy minor key. A lot of over-produced over-synthesized peppy songs were popular in the 80s, but it still had post-punk and a sort of pre-grunge and some outliers like the Smiths that I liked and like,

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2015, 11:05 pm

My favorite period for "modern/popular" music is the 80's I was born in 1980 so did hear all of it through my childhood. In the early 90's I stopped listening to current music and immersed myself in the 60's. I had heard 60's music before, obviously, but never delved fully into it. I like a lot of 70's but am more picky. The 50's are also good, as is the rest of the 20th century going back. I don't like much of the music from the mid 90's to present. I feel like it has gone downhill. There are occasionally light in the darkness (Daft Punk's Random Access Memories for one) but my interest in "new" music is from genres such as new age, instrumentals, game music, electronica, and chip tunes.