Is there a way to make myself permanently mute?

Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kulzak
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2020, 9:04 am

I’m not sure if there is a way to make myself mute. The reason I’m here is because people keep telling me to shut up when I’m trying to say something and explain it. It’s like I don’t have a say in anything. It hurts me a lot when I’m told to shut up, and it makes me feel like I should just shut up for the rest of my life. I’m here because I want to say what some people make me feel sometimes, and I’m not talking about the people who are reading this. And I’m not going to attempt myself to make me mute.

Please reply and tell me if you felt like this before, or tell me your opinion on this.

Last edited by Kulzak on 14 Dec 2020, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 9:06 am

Avoid people who don't like what you say.

Don't talk around such people.

Find better people to talk to.

Don't let them take your voice! That's so sad! :(

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 9:13 am

I agree with KT67.
Absolutely.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 9:41 am

Trying to make yourself permanently mute could result in unpaid medical bills. Even if you succeed. Success not guaranteed

Then you have injuries. They might be permanent

You could just stop talking.

You could wear a sign that says "mute", to discourage someone from talking to you. If you want. If it works it's good. If it doesn't work you can take off the sign

Drastic measures involving mutilation could get you sent to involuntary psychiatric hold

Sometimes someone is not good to talk to

Then don't talk to them unless they have a good reason otherwise

Some situations you might need to talk

Every situation is different

You don't know what is going to happen in the future such that talking is necessary

I get it

Plenty of people talk too much and too loud and there are too many of them

They hurt my ears

Headache

Meaningless casualties

"Communication" euphemism for noise pollution

They act like every thought and emotion that goes through their head is the latest greatest scientific invention. Then when noise pollution comes out of my beak they have the nerve to grunt "huh" and "what" like it's the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me"

But making yourself mute won't change them

As a personal favor to me,
Please do not attempt to make yourself mute

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2020, 10:14 am

I’m asked to repeat myself so dang much, and it’s not easy for me to speak in the first place. I do have selective mutism and sometimes am literally incapable of speech no matter how hard I try, but nobody who’s met me in person believes me when I tell them because I often can speak, so clearly I always can and am simply choosing not to :roll: I am so gosh-dang tired of always needing to repeat myself, and it gets harder for me to speak each time I have to repeat. Seriously considering trying to switch to text-to-speech (on my phone) only, but my parents (who I still live with) strongly discourage my use of that.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 3:43 pm

Kulzak wrote:
I’m not sure if there is a way to make myself mute. The reason I’m here is because people keep telling me to shut up when I’m trying to say something and explain it. It’s like I don’t have a say in anything. It hurts me a lot when I’m told to shut up, and it makes me feel like I should just shut up for the rest of my life. I’m here because I want to say what some people make me feel sometimes, and I’m not talking about the people who are reading this. And I’m not going to attempt myself to make me mute.

Please reply and tell me if you felt like this before, or tell me your opinion on this.

Why? Are you the same like her?

In my oppinion it's awesome. How ist she even able to talk nonstop that way?
My tongue would hurt and cramp if trying to talk even a minute like this. :mrgreen:

zero.closed00
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2021, 9:45 pm

Laryngectomy is the removal of all or part of the voice box (larynx). The voice box is in the neck and contains the vocal cords. It also helps you swallow and breathe. The life expectancy after surgery is up to 61 months. I'm also thinking of getting this surgery.

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2021, 1:09 am

zero.closed00 wrote:
Laryngectomy is the removal of all or part of the voice box (larynx). The voice box is in the neck and contains the vocal cords. It also helps you swallow and breathe. The life expectancy after surgery is up to 61 months. I'm also thinking of getting this surgery.

Far easier to just stop talking , I partially did it for 6 months and it gave me a lot of time to heal from a burnout.

Maybe become a mouni as a compromise

Quote:
The benefits of taking a vow of silence, or mouna, are incalculable. This practice develops will power, helps check in with your tendency towards impulsive speech, encourages the practitioner to observe truth, control anger, and channel emotions.

A mouni (one who practices mouna) uses measured words and his speech is careful and tactful. He is thoughtful and considerate of others, weighing each word before it comes out of his mouth. He can stay in seclusion for a long time.

To develop a practice, start small. What amount of time can you devote to practice? An hour? Thirty minutes? 10? Set realistic goal and get started.

Step 1: Stop talking.
Mouna doesn’t just mean silence of your words. But this is a good place to start. Silence obviously refers to verbal speech, but it also includes nonverbal forms of communication. Think computer, iPad, iPod, smart phone, etc. Simply stop talking, and power down the device.

Step 2. Introspect.
Become introspective by observing your thoughts and actions. Do you have an impulse to speak or reach out to someone?

Many people suffer from an obsessive need to speak, be heard, or rant about something or someone all the time. Suppressing this urge can feel restrictive and frustrating. Use this time to observe the mind.

Step 3. Develop mouna of the mind.
Real mouna is silence of the mind. Physical mouna from avoiding verbal and nonverbal communication eventually leads to silence of the mind. This is one way to develop meditation practices in your everyday life.

When you awaken in the morning, be mindful of being awake. When you eat, drink, prepare food, get dressed, go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, walk, breath, drive the car, and go to yoga asana class, be mindful of your actions with a focused and silent mind.

Step 4. Allow mouna to happen.
Forced mouna is an effort and is wrestling with the mind. It must be natural. If you live in truth, mouna will come by itself. You will begin to notice the thought waves of the mind without emotion or judgement. There will be absolute peace.

Irritability vanishes. You become a better listener. Your speech can now become carefully constructed and well-articulated.

Keep these tips in mind and try them out — you'll find that instead of uncomfortable silence, you'll find peace and mindfulness inside and out. Om Shanti.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 2:43 am

zero.closed00 wrote:

Is it medically necessary? If not why would you want to shorten your life that much by removing an apparently rather vital body part.

That seems insane, I am with the other poster who says simply not talking would be a better and I'd also add perhaps less harmful solution.

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2021, 12:43 pm

I have desires like this occasionally. I definitely wouldn't do anything physical, or change your body in any way.
It's possible to just not speak. Pretend that you can't.
Have you tried virtual reality? There are plenty of people who don't talk in VRChat. I talk nonstop irl, but I'm mute in VR. People have even created avatars with words and letters that appear above them, pens, facial gestures, sign language, and more! I have created one of these avatars for myself. Seriously, virtual reality is one of the only ways I have kept myself away from doing something destructive. If the alternative is harming yourself, there's no shame in faking something to get away.
You don't have to have VR to play VRChat, but the Quest 2 is only $300, and you get access to all these wonderful experiences. Now I'm basically advertising VR, but I'm serious, it helps me deal with a lot of the impulses I get. If I ever wish that (insert thing here) was wrong with me or would happen to me, I try to make it happen in VR.
Experiment with ways to make things happen, fulfill your desires, in ways that won't ruin anything in the actual world!

OrangedApple
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2021, 8:23 pm

I remember when I was younger how much I disliked 'small talk' I still do.

I could never quite grasp the waste of energy on what is nothingness conversation..or conversation devoid of real content.

However as I got older I reaslised it wasnt about me . It were other people who needed to fill a void , even if it meant with nothingness.

So I either ask a real question or mimic expected pleasantries until I can get away.

Both options work well ..I find. I dont mind and can be quite chatty if theres a point to the conversation 8) 8

Olson123
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2023, 6:08 pm

I really want to become mute, because Of how my family and everyone else treats me, I want to become mute and I envy the people who are, only because they seem much cooler, I also hate how everyone treats specific people, which needs to end but I know it won't so that's why I want to become mute, and to watch everyone learn sign Language, and My friends won't have to worry about me (as if they do) but being mute will be so much fun.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2023, 6:28 pm

Olson123 wrote:
I really want to become mute, because Of how my family and everyone else treats me, I want to become mute and I envy the people who are, only because they seem much cooler, I also hate how everyone treats specific people, which needs to end but I know it won't so that's why I want to become mute, and to watch everyone learn sign Language, and My friends won't have to worry about me (as if they do) but being mute will be so much fun.

If you're mute or just semi verbal, sign isn't going to help you. Almost no one you know will take the trouble to learn it since they know they can talk at you and you won't answer back...usually LOUDLY too for some reason (I am semi-verbal, and no one beyond a very few deaf people (you'd be surprised just how many of them were not allowed to learn sign as children). knows it. Its ALWAYS up to me to either muddle through or write things down for them. It doesn't make your life easier - trust me on this)

Good luck finding someone who can sign in a business setting too (restaurants, stores etc.) its not likely - if you do its often someone who learned a few signs years ago and had forgotten most of it, so meaningful communication is slow and even more tedious than speaking or trying to speak.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 12:37 am

superpentil wrote:
Honestly I envy those who are mute. I have always idolized the strong silent protagonist in practically any medium.

But the real reason I want to become mute is because I'm tired of talking, I'm tired of people and their crap, I'm tired of not being taken seriously or even listened to, just tired of everything in general. Having been raised in a household where you have to talk to people if they talk to you and lots of other things and no point in conversations I don't know it's getting too much for me.

If there's some way to make oneself permanently mute, can you tell me? Drinking bleach? Swallow hot coals? Surgery? I don't know, I'd like to know if it's possible. Google and other research has not been fruitful of this.

It's not a nice life either. I think what your looking for is damaging your vocal cords specifically. It is possible but I wouldn't. I'm pretty sure with a high strength vinegar it would dry it out a lot but for permanent effect I don't have the heart to share it sorry.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2023, 11:31 am

I do wish people would stop romanticizing self-harm. If you don't want to speak or would rather use another form of communication or AAC, you can - without the need to tear your throat out.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 5:07 pm

superpentil wrote:
Honestly I envy those who are mute. I have always idolized the strong silent protagonist in practically any medium.

But the real reason I want to become mute is because I'm tired of talking, I'm tired of people and their crap, I'm tired of not being taken seriously or even listened to, just tired of everything in general. Having been raised in a household where you have to talk to people if they talk to you and lots of other things and no point in conversations I don't know it's getting too much for me.

If there's some way to make oneself permanently mute, can you tell me? Drinking bleach? Swallow hot coals? Surgery? I don't know, I'd like to know if it's possible. Google and other research has not been fruitful of this.

A heat stroke left me completely mute for about a half hour before I regained enough cognitive function to barely communicate 911 help. And I used to live overseas where if I didn't know the Mandarin for what I wanted, it was a massive pain.

It's simply not worth it to be nonverbal if you can help it. There are more workarounds now than in the past, but it is a massive waste of time and energy if you can speak.