What TV/Movie Characters Have Been Your "Social Models"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm

tagnacious wrote:
QuiversWhiskers wrote:
I think when I was a kid I wanted to be Deanna Troi

Awesome.

I used to "put on plays" when I was a kid, based on copying Star Trek characters, usually Tasha Yar. The quotes are because usually plays are usually performed in front of people, and I NEVER let anyone see my plays. I spent hours in the basement doing this. I was training myself, I understand now. I needed to understand how to be in the world. I was very depressed. There was no help for aspies in those days. I was in special ed, but all they did was drill spelling and cleaning my notebook. Putting myself in the metaphorical shoes of those characters saved my life. I love them like family.

Sometimes I did characters from Battlestar Galactica. (Old version) or Little House on the Prairie. I cut my hair like Tasha and favored a turtle neck that was same color as the goldenrod color of her uniform. I started "playing by the rules" in school as a tribute to her when the killed her off. When I got older, I broadened out to the other Star Treks, too. (And they say my interests are narrow. Ha!) There's a documentary on Star Trek fans where a woman, who would clearly get along at WrongPlanet just fine, decides to start wearing a Star Trek uniform in her daily life, including to work. She started as a Lieutenant, but gave herself a promotion to commander the last I heard. I'm a little jealous at her gumption.

Today, if I had a chance to "be" a character in real life, I would go with a Jedi Knight. I like the hood. But that's off topic.

Bless me! I must have been one adorable little social misfit. I wish someone had gotten that about me. But to me fair, I never let others see my rich inner world, so I can't really blame them for not noticing.

I know that lady! I think it was on some documentary I watched about Trekkers and Trekkies. I was sort of jealous of her in a good way. I wish I had that kind of nerve :D

tagnacious
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2015, 5:47 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I used to model myself after Dr. Temperance Brennan because I think she has Asperger's.

If only every geeky chick came into this life with a Booth in the background, patiently waiting to sweep her off her feet! And a job where everyone loves her. And plenty of money so she can arrange her lifestyle as she pleases.

I got pretty obsessed with this show for a while. Bones is CUTE! I love my crushes to be geeky. But then I got tired with the increasingly improbable murder plot lines.

I do think that this show has some lessons to teach us. Its interesting to watch Booth and Brennen dance around the issue of Brennen being slow to warm to a relationship and not able to identify her feelings right away. And to watch Booth pull away, as is totally normal, but not really kind. You can get why he's hurt, but we all know that people need to be allowed to open themselves to relationships in their own dang time.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:51 pm

QuiversWhiskers wrote:
tagnacious wrote:
QuiversWhiskers wrote:
I think when I was a kid I wanted to be Deanna Troi

Awesome.

I used to "put on plays" when I was a kid, based on copying Star Trek characters, usually Tasha Yar. The quotes are because usually plays are usually performed in front of people, and I NEVER let anyone see my plays. I spent hours in the basement doing this. I was training myself, I understand now. I needed to understand how to be in the world. I was very depressed. There was no help for aspies in those days. I was in special ed, but all they did was drill spelling and cleaning my notebook. Putting myself in the metaphorical shoes of those characters saved my life. I love them like family.

Sometimes I did characters from Battlestar Galactica. (Old version) or Little House on the Prairie. I cut my hair like Tasha and favored a turtle neck that was same color as the goldenrod color of her uniform. I started "playing by the rules" in school as a tribute to her when the killed her off. When I got older, I broadened out to the other Star Treks, too. (And they say my interests are narrow. Ha!) There's a documentary on Star Trek fans where a woman, who would clearly get along at WrongPlanet just fine, decides to start wearing a Star Trek uniform in her daily life, including to work. She started as a Lieutenant, but gave herself a promotion to commander the last I heard. I'm a little jealous at her gumption.

Today, if I had a chance to "be" a character in real life, I would go with a Jedi Knight. I like the hood. But that's off topic.

Bless me! I must have been one adorable little social misfit. I wish someone had gotten that about me. But to me fair, I never let others see my rich inner world, so I can't really blame them for not noticing.

I know that lady! I think it was on some documentary I watched about Trekkers and Trekkies. I was sort of jealous of her in a good way. I wish I had that kind of nerve :D

Oh, I see you said yourself it was a documentary you saw it on. Probably the same one.

I am seeing a therapist and we do talk about it all. I am happy for the most part just acknowledging the traits and having better knowledge to deal with it. I also already have kids. My oldest has lots of traits herself and is currently being assessed. The sensory stuff is her biggest issue.

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2016, 9:28 am

I imitate characters with my personality type as a coping mechanism.

There's one movie character I feel, as of late, really speaks to me. Not exactly a role model, but I know I can relate to. I've tried to emulate his style in my clothing. And I can forgive myself easier for my mistakes because I know that he's had some bad luck, but pulled through it, even though he's clearly had days worse than mine. He's headstrong, forgetful, and easily distracted, and I identify with that and use that to express myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 9:48 am

I wouldn't mind being like Dr. Brackett on "Emergency," which was a 1970s US TV show.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 3:23 pm

I'm not sure that tagnacious still follows this forum, but I find it fascinating to see someone who's such a big fan of Lt. Tasha Yar. She was my favourite character on season one of TNG and I thought it was a shame she got killed off.

While I usually take actual Real-life people as role models when emulating social skills (usually co-workers from my past), I have at times tried to copy the mannerisms and speech patterns of fictional characters. Two such characters are Wesley from 'Angel' and Lord Baelish from 'Game of Thrones'. That last one may sound strange, since he's a sleazy backstabbing pimp in a violent and unforgiving world, but I think he has a certain style and composure, coupled with his specific delivery of words and gestures that really fits me when navigating a room full of strangers. There's a certain air of carefulness and an observing quality about him that makes it so he keeps one step ahead of everyone else in his direct vicinity, and I guess I can see how that can come in handy.

Otherwise, I've also sometimes tried to model my ways after Xander and Willow from Buffy.

FragMichNichtWiesMirGeht

13 Apr 2016, 10:27 am

None of you understood my reply? Fair enough. I have a tendency to be all like, "And introducing..."

Anyway, this guy's been my consistent fashion muse as well.

Like me, he's outgoing, talkative, and expressive; headstrong, unique, determined, impulsive, and gets distracted sometimes.

What I admire about him is that he's not afraid of looking silly in public! So whenever I look a bit silly (I'm a little dyspraxic, too), I think of him and forgive myself.

I love this guy so much I even cosplayed him at a comic convention this March!

Thing is, there are no real female role models in Hollywood, at least, not with a body type like mine; short, athletic arms and legs, but a prominent middle. I have yet to find one, though. (Wallach, at least in his younger years, was five-foot-ten, but was dwarfed by Eastwood and Van Cleef).

So for the moment I am settling on this scruffy Mexican peon, and I've been very happy being a fangirl of him. He's provided me with so much inspiration that - and this is going to sound crazy- he understands me as much as I understand him.

Also, after the Dollars Trilogy, I'm not so scared of the animatronics in Pirates of the Caribbean anymore! :D