Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2015, 1:02 pm

My parents are in this camp.

It started out with church 3 times a week and Christian bedtime stories. Then it was homeschooling and 'science' textbooks about how evolution was a hoax and Noah's flood explained the fossil record. Oh, and the Antichrist was going to use the liberal media/government/universities/Catholics/gays to conquer the world for Satan any day.

These people are completely unable to tell reality from fantasy, and certain political figures (like Cruz) have figured out they can get elected by telling them what they want to hear.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 1:04 pm

Densaugeo wrote:
These people are completely unable to tell reality from fantasy, and certain political figures (like Cruz) have figured out they can get elected by telling them what they want to hear.

But there's not enough people like that to win him the election.

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2015, 2:43 pm

These are the kind of people who volunteer in political campaigns, donate money, organize voter registration drives at churches, etc.. There are enough in some districts to have an effect.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 5:06 pm

ajpd1989 wrote:
I tried reading the article you posted a link to, but the first paragraph confused me.
I was not aware that such people existed.

Oh yes they definitely do! I know just because of my studies. There are people in this country that fully support the implementation of Christian Sharia Law, they believe they will be doomed to hell if the country doesn't do it. It's the same sort of ideology as ISIS except it isn't Muslims, it's Christians, this is why I call it Christian Sharia.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ajpd1989 wrote:
I tried reading the article you posted a link to, but the first paragraph confused me.

Oh yes they definitely do! I know just because of my studies. There are people in this country that fully support the implementation of Christian Sharia Law, they believe they will be doomed to hell if the country doesn't do it. It's the same sort of ideology as ISIS except it isn't Muslims, it's Christians, this is why I call it Christian Sharia.

And they're the same fanatics who revise American history, so as to make out the founders as fundamentalist Christians like themselves who want to mix the secular with the sacred.

Sum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2015, 9:46 pm

"Radically diminish the role of government to create a state based on "biblical law," and force a recalcitrant world to bend to the will of an imperial and "Christian" America." - from your article...

"This ideology calls on anointed "Christian" leaders to take over the state and make the goals and laws of the nation "biblical." It seeks to reduce government to organizing little more than defense, internal security and the protection of property rights."- aslo from the article...

1. If they radically diminish the role of government to only organizing little more than defense, internal security and the protection of property rights. I somehow find it highly unpractical that they will be able to create a theocratic state enforcing christian views. From wiki: "Theocracy is a form of government in which clergy have sovereignty over a territory and official policy is either governed by officials regarded as divinely guided, or is pursuant to the doctrine of a particular religion or religious group." That would require a government increase, but logic be damned right?

2. The cite openly calls itself a Drudgereport for progressives...Yet, unlike the Drudge it is a website that does not direct you to websites that it has no control over instead it directs you to other pages on the website printed by the staff.

3. I hesitate to call anything news that uses words like: "RABID right-wing", "and LEGIONS of the senator's wealthy supporters", "some of whom ORCHESTRATED the shutdown" (technically a government shutdown is a non-event hyped up by media but whatever), "RADICAL Christian ideology", "CRUELEST aspects of corporate capitalism", The intellectual and moral HOLLOWNESS of the ideology, its FLAGRANT DISTORTION and misuse of the Bible, the CONTRADICTIONS that ABOUND within it -- its leaders champion small government and a large military, as if the military is not part of government -- 'and its LAUGHABLE pseudo-science are IMPERVIOUS to reason and fact. And that is why the movement is dangerous.", and "The CULT of masculinity, as in all fascist movements, PERVADES the ideology of the Christian right." (I do not have time to cite the entire article the point is news by definition simply presents the facts without commentary the entire article sounds more like a slander campaign that reminds me of the daily minute of hate from 1984)

LOOK IF YOU ARE GOING TO WRITE A BLOODY EDITORIAL WRITE A BLOODY EDITORIAL BUT DO NOT CALL IT NEWS

4. I decided to look into the credibility of the author and found this: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/resp ... ris-hedges

Please tell me you get the point and we can put this UNSAVORY NONSENSE behind us. (See what i did there I editorialized trying to get you to think my way instead of letting you make up your own opinion like an intelligent human being)

One more thing in my opinion one must hear both sides (the one on the left and the one on the right) to make a fair conclusion on any current event.

Post Scriptum

Oh, and seeing as I dared go against the grain I must admit I opened myself up to attack... Which is fair game I made a comment I can expect an out lash....But let us keep it civil lest we make fools out of ourselves.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 9:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ajpd1989 wrote:

And they're the same fanatics who revise American history, so as to make out the founders as fundamentalist Christians like themselves who want to mix the secular with the sacred.

Some of those colonists were fundamental Christians and pretty much lived under Christian Sharia Law. American, in some cases, was where exiled religious fanatics journeyed to escape the reach of the King.

It's time to stand up to such fanatics saying, look, just because there's no King in America, you still cannot inflict your version of reality on people who do not subscribe to your way of thinking. A lot of these folks have been brainwashed into believing everyone will go to hell, End Times are beginning, and it gives them a lot of anxiety, then they go duck under the Constitution that only shelters their internal crisis due to "freedom of religion." There is no proof whatsoever anyone is "going to hell" or that "end times are beginning."

There are many, many examples in history far worse than what we have today in terms of pestilence, plagues, economic depressions, wars, natural disasters and nuclear bombs. People need to seek relief from their anxiety disorders.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 1:31 am

Densaugeo wrote:

It started out with church 3 times a week and Christian bedtime stories. Then it was homeschooling and 'science' textbooks about how evolution was a hoax and Noah's flood explained the fossil record. Oh, and the Antichrist was going to use the liberal media/government/universities/Catholics/gays to conquer the world for Satan any day.

Wow... good thing you found out that the story about evolution being a hoax was just a hoax. Interesting to see Catholics in that list, from the perspective of an atheist like me the Catholic church is pretty extreme and f****d up, but then the hardline protestants manage to top them by 1000%. It's simply impossible to keep up with the religious nuttery, they will keep surprising people.

Densaugeo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2015, 5:27 am

trollcatman wrote:
Densaugeo wrote:

Wow... good thing you found out that the story about evolution being a hoax was just a hoax. Interesting to see Catholics in that list, from the perspective of an atheist like me the Catholic church is pretty extreme and f****d up, but then the hardline protestants manage to top them by 1000%. It's simply impossible to keep up with the religious nuttery, they will keep surprising people.

Yes, it's a bit odd how they look at Catholics. There was a long running debate in a couple of the churches I went to about whether the Pope was the Antichrist or just a regular false teacher.

The Church of Christ (a specific denomination you may be fortunate enough to not have heard of) has this unofficial hierarchy of righteousness that goes like this:

1 - An individual believer <- Thinks they are the most righteous ever
2 - Their family and friends
3 - The rest of their local church
4 - Other evangelical denominations <- Some think these are okay, others think you're getting into hellfire territory now
5 - Those who haven't heard the Word
6 - Atheists <- Here and below are definitely going to hell
7 - Catholics
8 - Other Churches of Christ in the same town <- They do horrifying things like clapping during worship songs

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 6:03 am

Isn't OpEdNews a communist website sponsored by Russia?

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that someone can dislike this man:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 7:56 am

Raptor wrote:
I'm just waiting for some liberal to threaten to immolate themself if Cruz (or any other republican) gets elected.
I'll even supply the gasoline and cigarette lighter.

Nah, they will save that drama stunt for The Right when Hillary gets elected next President of the United States.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 11:37 am

Humanaut wrote:
Isn't OpEdNews a communist website sponsored by Russia?

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that someone can dislike this man:

You'er just kidding us that no one could dislike Cruz, right? :?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 11:40 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ajpd1989 wrote:

Some of those colonists were fundamental Christians and pretty much lived under Christian Sharia Law. American, in some cases, was where exiled religious fanatics journeyed to escape the reach of the King.

It's time to stand up to such fanatics saying, look, just because there's no King in America, you still cannot inflict your version of reality on people who do not subscribe to your way of thinking. A lot of these folks have been brainwashed into believing everyone will go to hell, End Times are beginning, and it gives them a lot of anxiety, then they go duck under the Constitution that only shelters their internal crisis due to "freedom of religion." There is no proof whatsoever anyone is "going to hell" or that "end times are beginning."

There are many, many examples in history far worse than what we have today in terms of pestilence, plagues, economic depressions, wars, natural disasters and nuclear bombs. People need to seek relief from their anxiety disorders.

I was actually referring to the founding fathers, who were mostly Deists and who did believe in separation of church and state, rather than the earlier Puritans.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 12:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ajpd1989 wrote:

I was actually referring to the founding fathers, who were mostly Deists and who did believe in separation of church and state, rather than the earlier Puritans.

They had to answer to the people living in the colonies many of whom were about like the anabaptists, pretty much lived and breathed the Bible.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 1:23 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
ajpd1989 wrote:

They had to answer to the people living in the colonies many of whom were about like the anabaptists, pretty much lived and breathed the Bible.

But they did answer to them by assuring freedom of religion.
And by Anabaptists, I assume you are referring to the Amish and Mennonites, and not to the Baptists who have become far more prevalent today. The Amish and Mennonites in fact had since promoted separation of church and state by the time of the nation's founding - very different from their more fanatical, bloodthirsty ancestors who had taken control of the peasant movement, turned it from a secular equivalent to the Reformation into a violent rebellion which both Lutheran and Catholic rulers opposed. In that sense, the right of the evangelical movement has more in common with the earlier incarnation of Anabaptistism.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 2:09 pm

Densaugeo wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
Densaugeo wrote:

Yes, it's a bit odd how they look at Catholics. There was a long running debate in a couple of the churches I went to about whether the Pope was the Antichrist or just a regular false teacher.

The Church of Christ (a specific denomination you may be fortunate enough to not have heard of) has this unofficial hierarchy of righteousness that goes like this:

1 - An individual believer <- Thinks they are the most righteous ever
2 - Their family and friends
3 - The rest of their local church
4 - Other evangelical denominations <- Some think these are okay, others think you're getting into hellfire territory now
5 - Those who haven't heard the Word
6 - Atheists <- Here and below are definitely going to hell
7 - Catholics
8 - Other Churches of Christ in the same town <- They do horrifying things like clapping during worship songs

Doesn't sound very inclusive. And of course they hate people more that believe almost exactly the same thing they do except for some tiny detail.
I know there are some small groups in the Netherlands that believe that even most of their own congregation won't be saved, only a select few, the rest of the congregation is out of luck, and of course every outsider too. Since these groups are so small they essentially believe that well over 99% of people are screwed.
There are much more important things in the world to worry about, such as WHY DID THE BBC FIRE CLARKSON? Life is meaningless now. :evil: