Page 1 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2007, 4:06 pm

I am so happy that Craig Nicholls of the Vines is now feeling well enough to do some touring in Australia! I know many folks dislike him for musical and personal reasons, but I'm really thrilled to see him well and confident enough after his 2004 Asperger diagnosis to try touring and putting himself out there again. He went through such a horrible time with the press prior to being diagnosed, and he's brought himself back from the edge! I think he's a beautiful and talented man who loves his music enough to keep making it, even when so many people have cut him to ribbons and counted him out, not only as a musician but as a person. He truly inspires me; I really want to see him succeed!

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 4:41 pm

I used to talk to someone on here who was a massive Craig Nicholls fan, but she's not been on WP for a while. Unless you are the very same person?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 4:51 pm

YES!! ! Holy s**t I was obsessed with him. I thought: We both have AS; we will get married. And in his song Spaceship, he says,'We're only 14 year apart'. I am 14 years younger than him. Yes, I'm quite crazy.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2007, 5:12 pm

No, I'm new to WP! I fell in love with Craig's music before I (or he) was diagnosed. So it was amazing to find we had the same condition. It was so bizarre to watch some old interviews with him posted on YouTube, because it was so obvious what was wrong with him, but no one could figure him out! I felt so badly for him! I hope they do well on tour. I believe they'll have a new album out by the end of 2007. I hope so!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 5:19 pm

I know!! !

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 5:27 pm

What's the song on the first album which almost kinda trips over itself at one point but then builds up to a really amazing "wall of noise" ending? I really like that one!

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 5:32 pm

sociable_hermit wrote:
What's the song on the first album which almost kinda trips over itself at one point but then builds up to a really amazing "wall of noise" ending? I really like that one!

Hmm....I don't know what wall of noise mean!! ! Highly Evolved is neutral, then he screams, hmm...Are you thinking Outtathaway?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 5:54 pm

I can't find the CD, which is worrying. It was towards the end of the first album, never released as a single. Starts off really slowly and at one point almost sounds as though the band can't be bothered any more, but then breaks out into this big, multi-layered fuzzy ending. "1979" might be the song title, but that's a guess.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 6:24 pm

sociable_hermit wrote:
I can't find the CD, which is worrying. It was towards the end of the first album, never released as a single. Starts off really slowly and at one point almost sounds as though the band can't be bothered any more, but then breaks out into this big, multi-layered fuzzy ending. "1979" might be the song title, but that's a guess.

Hehe, it's 1969. 1979 is a Smashing Pumpkins song.:D

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 6:30 pm

That's it! I was thinking about the Pumpkins but I couldn't remember which song belonged to which album :oops:

Anyway... 1969, superb song. 8)

And as for the Pumpkins, I like Geek USA. :D

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 6:43 pm

sociable_hermit wrote:
That's it! I was thinking about the Pumpkins but I couldn't remember which song belonged to which album :oops:

Anyway... 1969, superb song. 8)

And as for the Pumpkins, I like Geek USA. :D

I love Soma. It's my favourite.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2007, 6:55 pm

I'm amazed at how Craig can take so many diverse musical influences and mix them up so well. I'm really starting to hear the Beach Boys influence, as well as the Kinks and Blur. Do you guys think he's on medication for Aspergers? He's gained some weight the past year or so.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 7:03 pm

unnamed wrote:
I'm amazed at how Craig can take so many diverse musical influences and mix them up so well. I'm really starting to hear the Beach Boys influence, as well as the Kinks and Blur. Do you guys think he's on medication for Aspergers? He's gained some weight the past year or so.

Yeah. But he looks cute a little chubbier!

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 7:10 pm

At one time Craig was obsessed by McDonalds, so that might have something to do with the weight gain.

"Soma" is a beautiful song, I love that whole album. I found Billy Corgan's voice annoying on later CDs, plus they mellowed out quite considerably. I liked the gentle bits, but only as a contrast to the noise. I have strong suspicions that Corgan has AS - he has always been unpredictable, emotional and a little self-absorbed. For example, "Siamese Dream" was almost entirely his own work as he'd fallen out with the rest of the band.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 8:50 pm

The Smashing Pumpkins were still a great band. Corgan is amazing. Wouldn't it be nice if Craig was on WP? But he might freak out if he read this thread.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2007, 9:30 pm

Ha! I heard that he doesn't even have a computer! Hopefully he wouldn't mind us discussing his mental state, especially since we share it. He doesn't seem like he's too wrapped up in what the world thinks of him, he's just into making his music. I admire that about him. I wonder how well he can relate to other people at all. Is he involved with anyone romantically now? I heard he'd dated some singer called Dirty Harry a few years ago, but she ended up moving to LA and getting involved with Tommy Lee, of all people! T Lee is a hoot, but that would be a real shock to go from Craig to someone like that!