duncvis wrote:
I was going to say something like that, but more diplomatically... :P

Awwww... but that was diplomatic...... :( *sulks*

Ah, singalong time! Altogether now: "Shut your uncle f-"......... :lol:

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 4:15 pm

Yah, for TAKFASH that was diplomatic, D. He's what I term the Samuel Vimes Diplomat. Read "The Fifth Elephant." By Terry Pratchet, It explains what I mean :D

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 4:34 pm

I know it was... that wasn't a dig, just a little joke.

Will have to look for the Pratchett book now. :lol:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 4:40 pm

"micturate" is SUCH a good word.

and yes - i agree with the Vimes School of Diplomacy theory - good ol' Sam... (nearly as good as the Susan Sto Helit Method of Teaching - bet you can't guess who subscribes to THAT one...;))

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 4:51 pm

Ahem........ :P All Capitals, A deep voice.......... Makes people do as they are told no matter what? Oh dear. Could it be either you or hale :P

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 6:17 pm

/me casts squinting, suspicious glances in all directions at all the Terry Pratchett references that /me doesn't understand that are being used to describe /me.......

My only experience of Terry Pratchett was the truly awful AmDram production of "Wyrd Sisters" that I let myself get talked into being in for some unknown reason...... Terry Pratchett brings pain! :cry: Please make it stop!! !! ! :cry:

Cato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2005, 7:16 pm

TAFKASH:

No, I have never heard "Christian rock." The very term sends shivers up my spine (more accurately, through my digestive system).

Most of what I listen to is serious music written from about A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1950. Practically speaking, my collection ends with Ravel, who died in 1937.

Modern serious music has gone beyond the already hideous tweve-tone pieces into unlistenable hyperintellectualized garbage. Mozart became popular not only because his music was good, but because it was fun to listen to; people have hummed Mozart arias and bits of his concerti for two hundred years. Ditto for Bach and Handel and Brahms.

Nobody hums any of the aural excrement produced in the last fifty years. I do not blame people for not listening to modern serious music; it might be impressive musicologically, but it sounds like a banshees in a cement mixer (except for John Cage's 4'33", which I heartily recommend if one must listen to modern music.)

Point...point...point...oh, yeah: once a civilization produces music that has no meaning beyond itself, has no purpose other than showing the composer's intellectual superiority, and cannot reach beyond the confines of concert halls populated by those who are engaging in a self-congratulatory exercise, it is in some serious trouble.

I feel better now. :)

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2005, 7:32 pm

Cato wrote:
TAFKASH:

No, I have never heard "Christian rock." The very term sends shivers up my spine (more accurately, through my digestive system).

Most of what I listen to is serious music written from about A.D. 1000 to A.D. 1950. Practically speaking, my collection ends with Ravel, who died in 1937.

Modern serious music has gone beyond the already hideous tweve-tone pieces into unlistenable hyperintellectualized garbage. Mozart became popular not only because his music was good, but because it was fun to listen to; people have hummed Mozart arias and bits of his concerti for two hundred years. Ditto for Bach and Handel and Brahms.

Nobody hums any of the aural excrement produced in the last fifty years. I do not blame people for not listening to modern serious music; it might be impressive musicologically, but it sounds like a banshees in a cement mixer (except for John Cage's 4'33", which I heartily recommend if one must listen to modern music.)

Point...point...point...oh, yeah: once a civilization produces music that has no meaning beyond itself, has no purpose other than showing the composer's intellectual superiority, and cannot reach beyond the confines of concert halls populated by those who are engaging in a self-congratulatory exercise, it is in some serious trouble.

I feel better now. :)

Couldn't agree with you more on "modern classical"..... actually classical full stop..... I mean, what kind of decent musical form could tolerate blinking violins being in it? 8O Screeech!! ! Scrape!! ! Scraaaawwwk!! !! 8O

I think its fair to say you're being a little snobbish (in the same way as the Sahara is a little sandy :)) Fact is there has been tonnes of superb music made since 1950 (yes, I've gone metric to show just how "with it" I am, baby :)).... You just need to feel the Rock, baby!! !! Yeah!! ! Whooo-hooo-hoooo!! !! etc...... You get the picture anyway..... :oops: Fact is, all the great musicians abandoned classical decades/centuries ago - you only get the freaks who are too talentless to make real music (but not trendy enough to make rap) coming up with that mathematical garbage.....

I hope you weren't including Frank Zappa by the way, or I shall have to get cross..... :wink:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 2:29 am

TAFKASH wrote:
Fact is, all the great musicians abandoned classical decades/centuries ago

erm... not so, actually. try steve reich, john taverner, graham fitkin, arvo part... i could go on.

and pieces by each of whom i hum, cato ;)

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 7:19 pm

interesting.......

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 7:56 pm

The Pope and the Emperor. What a coincidence! :lol:

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2005, 9:32 pm

He's got a good head of hair for an old guy.

Cato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2005, 8:40 pm

Takfash:

I will grant a pass to Mr. Zappa; he, like a few others in rock, had real creativity and guts, and I recognize them for it.

I reject the snob label; indeed, I worry that today's "serious" music is not filtering into the popular subconscious. Only a few people listen to it. That leaves for the masses pop music, which is musically so archaic that it would make Brahms say, "That is so 1852." It is not even worth writing about.

Tonight's listening: some Oswald von Wolkenstein and Buddy Holly, chased down with Orff.

Rakkety_Tamm
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2005, 8:37 pm

yo Bec, separated at birth or what?