Page 13 of 15 [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm

Dwarvyn wrote:
That ladder wasn't there when she climbed the tree btw; it was added afterward to help get her down (everyone seems to assume that she climbed the ladder to get up there when they see the picture, but she climbed the tree itself).

I did not see that coming! I too thought she had climbed up using the ladder. That's even more of a wow factor.

By the way, I forgot to say that I enjoyed the video too. Ruby was so focused on you (I'm assuming that you were the one leading her through agility). The adoption agency was wrong, she seems smart and very focused.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dwarvyn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2016, 7:58 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
By the way, I forgot to say that I enjoyed the video too. Ruby was so focused on you (I'm assuming that you were the one leading her through agility). The adoption agency was wrong, she seems smart and very focused.

Aye; that was I. I have watched that movie many times myself... I like watching her and Pixel; how much fun they're having basically playing Simon Says :)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 12:15 am

i never realized how popular my dog was :? after being recognized by strangers on a street where i almost never walk her.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 12:55 pm

Dwarvyn

25 Apr 2016, 5:49 am

Beau wrote:

Is that a Cardigan? You almost never see them around here; just the Pembrokes.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 9:37 am

Dwarvyn wrote:

Yup :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 9:47 am

I want a kitty. My mum keeps saying that they are a lot of work to take care of, but our old cat Monkey Pi wasn't that hard to take care of.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Dwarvyn

26 Apr 2016, 6:00 am

Beau wrote:
Dwarvyn wrote:

Yup :)

Cardis are on my short list for breeds, along with the Pems and Vallhunds (among others). Of course with any luck, we won't be in the market for one for a good 10-12 years or more :)

Kuraudo777 wrote:
I want a kitty. My mum keeps saying that they are a lot of work to take care of, but our old cat Monkey Pi wasn't that hard to take care of.

Kittens are more work than cats, and introducing a new animal into the home (baby or adult) can be a lot of work, even if they end up being not so much work after they get settled. And there's no guarantees about how much work the new cat will end up being once it does get settled.

If you think she's overreacting, maybe suggest being a foster for a local rescue? It's a shorter-term situation, and I believe they usually cover expenses like vet bills, food, etc. Plus then you'd be helping out a rescue animal!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 2:06 am

Beau wrote:

*squeals*

that carpet. :heart: :heart: i want to sleep on it.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Dwarvyn

06 May 2016, 3:00 pm

We just finished another agility class with Pixel, and we ended up getting top of the class once again :)

We were up against a German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, and a Brittany Spaniel... with all the dogs jumping the same height. Which is unfair, since Pixel was the only one who was jumping at his actual competition height of 16", but I guess since he got the top score that makes it okay?

I wish I would have remembered to have it recorded; we had the camera with us, we just forgot to take it out.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2016, 7:40 pm

I have 2 cats, Ahab who is going to be 16 in September, and is a domestic shorthair, and Bert, a 13 year old Maine coon who is popular in the neighborhood.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 5:40 am

The family rottie is very noise sensitive, when the phone rings out and goes to voicemail she starts to howl, the little dogs join in but the small shih tzu cant howl so she makes this really high pitched squeak instead, and from the outside it sounds like we have a pack of wolves inside killing a squeak toy.
My niece thought it would be funny to teach them to howl together, and I have absolutely no idea how to stop it.

Dwarvyn

07 May 2016, 6:12 pm

Amity wrote:
The family rottie is very noise sensitive, when the phone rings out and goes to voicemail she starts to howl, the little dogs join in but the small shih tzu cant howl so she makes this really high pitched squeak instead, and from the outside it sounds like we have a pack of wolves inside killing a squeak toy.
My niece thought it would be funny to teach them to howl together, and I have absolutely no idea how to stop it.

You could try teaching them something else to do when the voicemail comes on, that would make it so they can't howl, like going and grabbing a toy; toy in the mouth means they can't howl.

Another option would be to set up the situation where they are doing the behaviour you don't like (in this case, have someone call and leave a voicemail). When the trigger goes off but before they start doing the behaviour, you give them a treat for not engaging in the behaviour. If you find you can't intervene fast enough, you may need to distract them so that you can get in your reward before they start howling. Over time, you should be able to keep them quiet longer and longer until they no longer howl at the trigger. I'm not sure how many dogs you have, but you may need to work with them one-on-one to begin with then get them together. Or if it's just the Rottie that starts it and the others just join in, you may only need to work with her and the rest will follow her lead once she learns to stay quiet.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 7:04 pm

^Thank you! Your advice makes sense, it is just the Rottie that reacts, and then the other two follow her lead.

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2016, 1:46 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
*squeals*

that carpet. :heart: :heart: i want to sleep on it.

ahah :)

Amity: my family has a Rottie, too and she, along with our other dogs, howl when the sirens of the firetrucks/ambulances pass by. It really does sound like an off-tune singing chorus lol.

Here's a pic of her when she was a puppy. So cute and fluffy: http://bit.ly/1rH8XjF

dorianoparmigiano
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2016, 8:13 am

I have a siberian cat called Tolstoy, and previously I had rabbits for about 15 years.