Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mel113
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2015, 10:08 am

I am going to a CSUand am moving on campus. I'm gonna push to get a single room, but its a single bedroom, with 3 other single bedrooms and a living room, two bathrooms and a kitchen.
I suck at cleaning, I'm OK with pretending to be social but it takes its toll and I have bad days that involve me being really grouchy.
So my questions are:
How do I keep the peace with my roommates?
Should I warn them about my aspergers?
How can I motivate myself to clean??

Also, I'm allowed to bring my two small fish tanks with me, but it looks like the bedroom will be too small for them. Do you think the roommates will mind if Iput them in the living room?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 5:23 pm

I just finished my first year of living in a dorm with a roommate. Besides the fact that I had to get a roommate switch at the end of the first semester, it wasn't bad.

The reason I had to switch was because I told my roommate I'm gay before moving in. About a week or so into the semester, he confronted me about it saying he wasn't okay with that. That ruined my relationship with him and immediately decided I needed a new roommate.

My new roommate is cool, though I only see him about a couple times a week. He and I are not close, nor do we have intimate conversations about our lives or anything, but we get along fine.

My advice would be to not tell your roommate(s) any personal information about yourself until and unless you become close enough with them to disclose that information.

I manage to keep the peace with my current roommate by making small talk with him every now and then (such as saying, "hey" or "how's it going" when he walks into the dorm) and trying not to be boring. You could try that as well.

If you're okay with pretending to be social, then small talk shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you do have bad days when you are grouchy, just apologize for it later. Everybody has those days, anyway. At least try to be friendly and accommodating with your roommate. They probably won't mind your shyness so much as long as they can stand to live with you.

I motivate myself to clean by being mindful of how I'd look to my roommate or dorm visitors, and also because I can only fit so much into my small trash can. :lol: