Political, Philosophical, and Religious views

Page 1 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 10:45 am

Just list what your actual views are here.

Political:
1980's Republican basically, I'm pro-Israel, anti-abortion, pro lifelong heterosexual monogamy, pro-freedom of speech.
Philosophical: pessimism basically, since it's easier to expect the worst and be proven wrong.
Religious: Christian, nondenominational, protestant, somewhere between Baptist and Pentecostal.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 5:00 pm

Political: Justice is for those that can afford it
Philosophical: I like the teachings of Confusius even if it means I conveniently have to forget he hardly ever mentions women. If ever, it's been some years since I last read The Analects.
Religious: Organised religion is more about belonging then believing...

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2015, 11:15 am

Political: Libertarian Conservative, Deontological Minarchism - Pro life (except in the cases of rape, incest, extreme financial instability and threat to the mother's and/or fetuses health), Pro-Gun, Pro-Individual Rights, Free-market capitalism (Austrian Economics - Mises/Rothbard), Sound Money, Non-Interventionism, Freedom of Assembly, Association, Choice, Information, Press, Religion, Speech and Thought, Cognitive liberty, Negative Liberty, Personal and Moral Responsibility.

Philosophy: Pro-Individualism, Pro-Natural Law, Pro-Meritocracy, Pro-Independent Thinking (not the so-called conformance "free-thought"), Anti-Cultural Marxism, Anti-"Progressivism", Anti-Neo-conservatism, Anti-Religious Fundamentalism, Anti-Creationism, Anti-Postmodernism, Anti-Imperialism, Anti-Supranationalism (IMF, World Bank, UN, EU and WTO), Anti-Collectivism (inc group-think), Anti-Identity Politics (I was once a neurodiversity activist), Anti-Moral Relativism and Anti-Hedonistic Libertinism.

Religion: Agnostic Atheist and I'm against Organized Religion.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 21 Apr 2015, 11:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2015, 11:22 am

Political: Fascist Anarchist

Philosophical: Hobbesist and Lovecraft conservative(without the racism).

Religious: Satanic Christian from Hell

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Apr 2015, 12:18 pm

Politics: Liberal Radical Centrist
Religion: None
Epistemology: Empiricism (in the main)
Ethics: objective, and mostly teleological, but with deontological and aretaic components (essentially, I believe deontological and aretaic goods can be understood in utilitarian terms)
Aesthetics: objective

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 5:51 pm

Politics: I am a meaningless slave.
I live and breathe at Their whim.
Their power is nearly Absolute.
If I were to resist them in anyway(which I won't)....1. I would be destroyed by Them without a thought....and 2. Nothing I could ever do would affect Them in anyway, so why bother provoking such dreadful consequences?...I therefore will submit and if I am really lucky my life will be somewhat tolerable. Some people will resist and they will be ground up by the Machine, be scattered to the wind and will have changed nothing.

Philosophy: Labels do not appeal to me. I love the Discipline of Philosophy itself.

Religion: They find it to be very useful to help control the feeble-minded. Religion is a manifestation of low intelligence and the unwillingness to engage in critical thinking. I mean, a talking snake, really?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 6:35 pm

Politics: Pragmatic, liberal, realistic, social-capitalist hybrid. Probably pretty close to European Social Democracy

Philosophical: Essentially empirical, though most philosophical viewpoints have SOME basis. Anti-dogmatism.

Religious: Essentially Agnostic-Atheist, though with a respect for those who practice religion/believe in Supreme Beings.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2015, 10:25 pm

Objectivism.

Which for some reason inspires no end of smears and straw-man attacks. Here's a brief summary from a reliable source:

https://www.aynrand.org/ideas/philosophy

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:11 am

I believe in the Sermon on the Mo unt, in a sense, and I am opposed to New Ath eism to the extent that it is in opposition to the values expressed therein. That's a pretty large extent.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 22 Apr 2015, 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:19 am

Nebogipfel wrote:
I believe in the sermon on the mount, in a sense, and I am opposed to New Atheism to the extent that it is in opposition to the values expressed therein. That's a pretty large extent.

atheism is simply lack of belief in gods. there is no atheist dogma. i am an atheist and i pretty much like the sermon on the mount. what's not to like about, "the meek shall inherit the earth"?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:29 am

Meh pretty much the opposite....pro the government should stay out of peoples personal lives and abortions none of my business unless its my abortion which I would have if I got pregnant and the morning after pill didn't work, of course it would be in early terms. So pro government staying out of personal lives, pro social safety network/government serving/helping the people/society function to the best of its ability while maintaining personal rights, freedoms and not telling you how to live your personal life or trying to discourage deviance from norms like heterosexuality.

And no religion.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Meh pretty much the opposite....pro the government should stay out of peoples personal lives and abortions none of my business unless its my abortion which I would have if I got pregnant and the morning after pill didn't work, of course it would be in early terms. So pro government staying out of personal lives, pro social safety network/government serving/helping the people/society function to the best of its ability while maintaining personal rights, freedoms and not telling you how to live your personal life or trying to discourage deviance from norms like heterosexuality.

And no religion.

If you want the government to help you then you are indirectly inviting them to stick thier noses into your life.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm

Political: Nonpartisan Jeffersonian constitutionalist; anti-federalist

Philosophical: Paine-sian individualist with occasional populist engagements; anti-statist

Religious: Abjectly nondenominational red-letter Bible Christian; borderline Episcopalian

8)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 3:15 pm

Political: Despite my disillusionment with both major parties, I still vote Democrat.

Religion: I am Catholic.

Kate.com
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2015, 3:35 pm

Philosophical: I've taken some courses in varying areas. I think here in terms of favorite philosophers. Among them are Pascal, Aristotle, Camus. Additionally, I'm attracted by Zen Buddhism but I've really only read some DT Suzuki and Shunryu Suzuki. I distrust individuals seeking power. I distrust badges, ranks, titles--more accurately I distrust those people who enjoy waving them about as though they matter or define any goodness

Political: I say I detest politics because of the denatured state of things in US these days. I do not like any political party that would use a person's or a group of people's lives for the purpose only of vote-getting and consolidating power under its name. And because I get fooled too often, I'm wary of promises generally. Extend this to politics

Religion: I believe in a loving God, more specifically I'm a Christian taking much from Lutheran theology. At the same time I have always enjoyed and gathered much in how to look at the world, so as to try to enjoy more, reading Bonaventure, St. Francis, Aquinas, and Anselm among others in that similar line

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm

Political/Ethical/Philosophical
Competionism (against backwards "anti-trust" approach)
Trade liberal
Pro economic migration (broadly)
Businesses instead of "companies" (legal entities with limited liability, of various classes or privilege)
Patent reform
Pro differentiation, but not at the expense of allowing control of sectors or future proofing
Anti collusion
Anti protectionism disguised as rights/property
Harm principle
No legal definitions/governance in family, relationships or private life
Separation of church and state
Long-term pragmatism
Politics of persuasion rather than sound bites or appealing to existing preconception

Religion
N/A , but support freedom of religion and no religion, which is why it is important separate religious or cultural practices from legal association, to protect this.