Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:04 pm

A friend of my dad's just sent me a private message on Facebook (we are not Facebook friends) that said, "Victims of autism should be collected and sent to a colony for study." He then sent me eight more messages referring to things I had posted about that he felt were 'indications of adult autism' (and Alzheimer's, oddly, which he spelled 'allsheimers') and suggested over and over that I get tested.
Some things he said about autism were,
"The human brain is unable to process people and gender. It is confusing and frustration to the autistic." (Bad grammar, but that's how he put it.)
"A classic symptom of adult autism is an inability to understand simple rules due to damaged receptors in the communications regions of the brain."
"It's kind of like a dog being astonished by a red laser dot."
"Childhood autism develops slowly and shows up in adult life."
Obviously, this guy knows nothing about autism and thinks he does. I didn't respond (yet). I'm still kind of 'what?' about it.
What is up with this guy? I haven't even talked to him for 3-4 years, and suddenly he's sending me all these weirdo messages and telling me to get tested for autism? Plus, I have a post on Facebook that says I've been diagnosed with Asperger's. If he went down through all my posts like it seems like he did, how did he not see that one?
Should I respond to this guy? If so, what should I say?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:17 pm

Maybe ask him why he has taken this interest in you. But, yeah, that's totally creepy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

Don't respond to him. He doesn't have your best interests at heart. If you don't respond, he'll probably ignore you and go on to some other "victim."

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:33 pm

Silence is your best shield there, don't answer to him.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:39 pm

If he meant to start a conversation with you, he would have asked questions, not made bold statements. There is, therefore, no reason to engage him unless you choose to do so. But, it will very likely be him repeating his statements and not accepting your replies. People like him are best left alone in silence. When they don't get a reaction from their baiting, they lose. But, if I were you and he continued his private messages, I would find a way to disconnect from his messages. Ignoring him once is easy, but ignoring his on an ongoing basis is too much to expect from anyone.

Good luck!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2015, 8:44 pm

:P I am normally not that much of an as*hole but I want to suggest you tell him that there are people and institutions, public and private, that deal with individuals who like to be creepy and harass others. In all honesty, you should say you appreciate the concern but would like to be left alone. If that does not work then you should block him.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 3:47 am

Ignore and block.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:01 am

I would ignore.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:41 am

Now I'm glad I didn't respond to him with my initial reaction, which was to tell him to do some actual research about autism. I'm definitely going to just ignore him, but I haven't blocked him yet. I'm curious to see if he sends any more weird crap.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 4:50 am

Good decision. Well, tell us more of his hilarious weird crap if you do receive it. You said he's your father's friend. Could he (your father) possibly know what his friend wants? Maybe you can ask him.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 5:08 am

jk1 wrote:
Good decision. Well, tell us more of his hilarious weird crap if you do receive it. You said he's your father's friend. Could he (your father) possibly know what his friend wants? Maybe you can ask him.

Well, my dad is a pastor, and he tends to attract the rejects of society (which is not a judgment, since I and many of us could be considered the same). So his church collects a lot of weirdos of various types. This guy is a member of my dad's congregation. I don't go to my dad's church; I've probably said less than ten words to this guy my whole life.
I could tell my dad about it, and he'd probably talk to the guy, but
1. I'd have to talk to my dad, which I don't do very often unless I have to.
2. The guy really didn't hurt anything, and he might just go away on his own.
3. Maybe he was drunk or high when he sent those messages, and maybe he feels embarrassed about it now. I don't know that, but I know I've done stuff I was embarrassed about later, and people were nice enough to forget about it with me, so I feel obligated to extend the same kindness to someone else who is struggling.

If he keeps doing it, I can talk to my dad then.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 6:11 am

As I think about it, I bet the guy was drunk when he wrote what he wrote.

Ignore and block. He's a total dickhead. I don't care if he's a "client" of your father's.