Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2015, 7:18 am

I have gone NUTS with it. dream quest,cthulhu,dagon,shadow over innsmouth,mountains of madness,nylarthotep,Dunwich horror,and now, I am writing a Dunwich horror sequel, Polychronos,a spawn of yog-sothoth,enemy of Nylarthotep. I have gone FULL Lovecraft fan. :mrgreen: Cthulhu ftaghn!

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2015, 7:19 am

And the rats in the walls.that one was disturbing.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Apr 2015, 2:35 pm

I quite like Lovecraft's writings. I find it a shame that Cthulhu is the only character who gets any notice. I like the story The Call of Cthulhu well enough but think he has many stories which are better. I think the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is my favorite.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 9:36 pm

MrBear wrote:
I quite like Lovecraft's writings. I find it a shame that Cthulhu is the only character who gets any notice. I like the story The Call of Cthulhu well enough but think he has many stories which are better. I think the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is my favorite.

Personally, my favorite Old One is Nyarlothotep, as he is seemingly the only one of their kind who is not trapped under the ocean, or between the dimensions, etc, but can go where ever he wishes, and doing as much deviltry as he likes. Unlike the other Old Ones, he isn't some mindless monstrosity beyond good and evil but has a keen intellect, and is at least able to effect a personality. My favorite Lovecraft stories that he appears in are Nyarlothotep, and The Dreams In The Witch House.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

I'm a big Lovecraft fan.

I wondered what other authors Lovecraft fans like, that give them a bit of that old Miskatonic buzz?

I'd like to recommend the British author Robert Aickman

Aickman wrote a number of short stories (which he called "strange stories" rather than "horror stories". His style and subject matter aren't really like Lovecraft at all but what is shares is that his tales are truly weird. You really won't know where they are going. I love that.

You could also compare him to M R James or Franz Kafka.

If you want to try just one story, search out "Ringing the Changes" and if you want one collection, try "Wine Dark Sea".

He's one for the connoisseur.

Shoggothgoat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:27 pm

I got the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Fictio ... +lovecraft for christmas and im loving it!

Unfortunately due to university I don't have as much time to read as I would like. Which stories would you guys recommend when one has to prioritise?

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2015, 6:46 am

I would recommend dream quest of unknown kadath,Nylarthotep,the silver key,through the gates of the silver key

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2015, 6:47 am

And the case of charles dexter ward

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2015, 12:30 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Personally, my favorite Old One is Nyarlothotep, as he is seemingly the only one of their kind who is not trapped under the ocean, or between the dimensions, etc, but can go where ever he wishes, and doing as much deviltry as he likes. Unlike the other Old Ones, he isn't some mindless monstrosity beyond good and evil but has a keen intellect, and is at least able to effect a personality. My favorite Lovecraft stories that he appears in are Nyarlothotep, and The Dreams In The Witch House.

I also favor Nyarlathotep of all the entities across Lovecraft's writings.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 10:04 am

MrBear wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I also favor Nyarlathotep of all the entities across Lovecraft's writings.

:thumleft: