Do certain friends make you depressed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 11:05 am

I have a WP friend we've chatted for years. He is an Aspie too and deals with depression as do I. I've lost disability but am trying to stay positive to hopefully find a job and plan for my future. I've never held down any job yet alone TRY to find a job 8 years on disability 21-29 (18-21 I didn't bother looking for one AT ALL either!) My plan is to get eyeglasses to see better and hopefully learn to drive get my license and perhaps a job and buy a car by Christmas that's my short term goal. I don't want to get discouraged and depressed and am trying to stay positive. I find it sad in itself this friend believes eventually it'll hit me and I'll be depressed. If he's going to have that attitude I was thinking perhaps don't chat with him as often if he's going to be depressed over his unemployment situation and drag me down. I know I DO NOT want to play Mario for 6 months Christmas come and have ZERO income! I'm only getting my check for May & June then THAT'S IT!

What are your thoughts? Thanks WP.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 5:24 pm

Technically, only your own thoughts can make you depressed. However, if certain people influence your thoughts in a negative way and you know your reaction to exposing yourself to them isn't going to be positive... then perhaps it's best to limit the time you interact with them. Or even avoid them all together.

When I was severely depressed 2-3 years ago, I didn't want to bring my friends down at all and avoided them so that I wouldn't be an emotional depressive drain on their energy. In more recent happier times, I've discussed that time with my closest friend and he disclosed that he did his own avoiding of me back then, too - which I knew, and understood.

Sometimes it's just not healthy to be around depressed people. Especially if you know you're prone to taking on their negativity. Do what's best for you.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 4:57 am

Even when what someone says is unrealistically negative, you could still be subconsciously affected by it. It may make you feel pessimistic. When you feel pessimistic and negative, you may lose motivation because you feel your efforts will be futile. The loss of motivation will prevent you from achieving something that you could realistically achieve. Then you feel even more pessimistic. And it goes on in a vicious circle. So you had better keep away from negative people.

If you can, you should mention it to that friend so that he can refrain from saying unnecessary negative things to you. If you can't, then you might need to limit the time you chat with him.

I have such people around. I realize I'm feeling down after seeing them. My neighbor who's been kind to me has that habit and I often end up feeling depressed after seeing him. So recently I tend to avoid him.