"10 tips for teens with Asperger Syndrome or mild autism"

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Captain Quirk
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Apr 2015, 12:08 pm

Hello all,

I'm new here, and I thought I'd offer you guys a gift.

I'm a former primary (elementary) school teacher, and I worked with autistic teens in special ed (both mild and severe ends of the spectrum). I also have Asperger's, and grew up before anyone knew what it was. I went through my teen years honestly thinking I was "weird".

I wrote an article today called "Growing Up Autistic: 10 tips for teenagers with Asperger Syndrome or mild autism", and I really hope it's useful to some of you.

http://autisticnotweird.com/2015/04/21/ ... ld-autism/

I'm planning for autisticnotweird.com to be both about raising awareness AND giving advice to people on the spectrum- I very recently "came out" and made my Asperger's public at the age of 29, and this blog was the result.

Take care, and I hope you get something from this if you read it.

Chris/Captain Quirk

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:35 am

thanks chris, i'm sure it'll be appreciated by some. :) is it strange or mean, if i giggled at "slightly odd personality"? that sure is an interesting pic of you at 7, wonder what you're holding!

most of my stress has stemmed from me comparing myself to my classmates, who seem to go at paces faster than me, and with more confidence to boot. i still have a ways to go to fully accept that i can go at my own pace. but that's just me. thanks again.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 2:03 pm

Hope you find what you're looking for here.

Captain Quirk
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2015, 12:36 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
thanks chris, i'm sure it'll be appreciated by some. :) is it strange or mean, if i giggled at "slightly odd personality"? that sure is an interesting pic of you at 7, wonder what you're holding!

most of my stress has stemmed from me comparing myself to my classmates, who seem to go at paces faster than me, and with more confidence to boot. i still have a ways to go to fully accept that i can go at my own pace. but that's just me. thanks again.

That's fine, laugh away. It's hilarious. :D
I'm holding a trophy given to me by the youth group I was in. Nearly twenty years later they (in their dubious wisdom) made me captain!

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
Hope you find what you're looking for here.

Thanks! :) Looks like a good place to try finding it!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 12:53 pm

I have number 7 to work on.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Captain Quirk
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2015, 5:46 am

Oh bloody hell this just got 6,000 views in 24 hours. O_O 8O

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 10:06 pm

this thread or your site? it says 175 on my end for the former! :D

in either case the bulk of page views are just web crawlers, or "spiders" sent out across the WWW to index webpages, often for search engines. even the public web has yet to be totally indexed.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Captain Quirk
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2015, 10:57 am

lol, my site did. :D Sorry for the lack of specificity! ;)

The blog kind of exploded last week. 13,000 views in two days. Beginning to calm down now though, but I've had quite a few touching comments about this article.

Lizardkiid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2015, 5:30 am

That was really helpful. Thank you for sharing that. My favorite is number 9. Someone once told me to "let my freak flag fly." And I make sure to always have it at full mast because that's when I'm happiest.

electricsaygeo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2015, 5:04 pm

I like the article, Chris!

Any advice regarding making eye contact??? - Do *you* look people in the eyes when talking to them?

I'm 17 and I feel like I can't make good eye contact with anyone so I don't do it - not with friends, not with family

And sometimes I feel really bad because it can be interpreted as me being disinterested when a lot of the time I'm not!

Rare like a Panda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2016, 4:14 pm

Hello Chris! Thank you so much for this post it helped me a lot! Since reading your post I checked out the AutisicNotWeird website and Facebook page and it really helped me understand my recent diagnosis and it helped my parents understand me better so I just wanted to *metaphorically* shake your hand for helping me and I suspect many others too! :D