Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 2:01 pm

Andreger wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
i'm teaching myself a bit of hebrew though if i were asked why i chose Hebrew, i wouldn't be able to answer them. :oops:

I like Hebrew! :) Semitic languages looks for me mystical and ancient - great qualities while I have interests in history and occultism. But I know just some words from Hebrew and Arabic without ability to really speak them.

cool - which words?

i like the fact that ivrit is the only ancient language to have been revived from purely liturgical/religious use, to a full blow, colloquial "pass me the salt" kind of language. or it's the biggest one that's been revived anyway. so it has a flavor distinct from the other Semitic langues in the area, from years of mingling with European languages, and not really "evolving" much, as it would have if it were a spoken everyday language all that time.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 2:34 pm

Arabic and English

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 3:06 pm

I am fluent in Polish(my native) and English.
I also know some German(I learned it at school).
And since I become interested in anime so I seem to pick up some spoken Japanese too. I cannot watch it without subtitles yet but I already understand some commonly used words and sentences and its getting better. However I am not sure if I will ever be able to learn their alphabet. So far I can only recognize just like 2 letters: no and ku.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 2:12 am

Kiriae wrote:
I am fluent in Polish(my native) and English.
I also know some German(I learned it at school).
And since I become interested in anime so I seem to pick up some spoken Japanese too. I cannot watch it without subtitles yet but I already understand some commonly used words and sentences and its getting better. However I am not sure if I will ever be able to learn their alphabet. So far I can only recognize just like 2 letters: no and ku.

Konnitiwa, Kiriae-tyan! *bowing* :-)

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 2:21 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
cool - which words?

i like the fact that ivrit is the only ancient language to have been revived from purely liturgical/religious use, to a full blow, colloquial "pass me the salt" kind of language. or it's the biggest one that's been revived anyway. so it has a flavor distinct from the other Semitic langues in the area, from years of mingling with European languages, and not really "evolving" much, as it would have if it were a spoken everyday language all that time.

Wild mix of everyday words ("tel"=hill, or on Hebrew, "shalom" = hello, numbers, day names andso on), political terms (e.g. Arabic "jamahiriya" = republic) and religious formulas (like Arabic "la illyaha illa Allah, Muhammad rassul ullah", "bismillahi rakhmani rahim", Hebrew "Baruch atah Adonai elohaynu...")

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 2:34 am

Dutch, English and some German. I also know a loose collection of words of number of languages but not enough to hold even a very simple conversation in them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

I speak English.

However I may this summer to try to learn more Spanish and/or American Sign Language. Registration for summer at my school begins May 15th.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2015, 4:03 am

English is my home language. Speak Afrikaans fluently. Speak a reasonable amount of Zulu. For those unsure of these languages, Zulu and Afrikaans are languages from South Africa where I was born. Zulu is an African language and Afrikaans is a dialect of Dutch but is also a wholly African, mainly South African language.