Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

bambinaia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2007, 5:25 pm

Hi,
I'm a parent of a child with Asperger's in the uk. My question is; I'm in my final year of my foundation degree & have been set an assignment which is to design a resource for parents (this part is my idea) in assisting their role as a parent with a child who has AS. My idea was a detailed account of the history of AS, diagnosis history, diagnostic route, triad of impairments, theory of mind & possible stategies to assist. I think that's what happens after 9 years of studying to try to understand better, consequently I think my resource is now more like an encylopedia, not what new parents want & besides it quite scarey all that imformation at once!! ! So if there are any new parents out there what would you call a resource that would assist you as a parent

Aspie13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Mar 2007, 10:15 pm

Since I live in a small community in California, we unfortunately don't have a resource like that and it is badly needed. I often thought of starting one myself, the county and advocates I've been in touch with warn me not to try to fix the community but, rather, take care of my son. Sounds like a money issue, you think? Well, if the community knew the symptoms of autism, and what the schools have done to help autistic children achieve independence, they would be furious! They are keeping them wards of the county. There is no early intervention here. They treat them like they are mentally ret*d instead of trying to communicate with them via alternative interests like using computers, pets for therapy, audio ear phones to block out the noise, or music! There is so much that needs to be done to educate the public and the ignorant parents that can't educate themselves on how to deal with autism. The county regional centers own homes to put the kids up and have 24 hour care providers with minimal education and experience to baby sit these kids, and try to get them to take care of themselves. It is so sad. So much needs to be done, you just don't know where to start. I'd start by putting up posters of all the beautiful children conflicted with autism. I'd show their gifts, and that they really do understand us though they don't know how to show us. That they are frustrated and need help adapting to their environment and that they are very sensative people. I wish you encouragement and faith in your journey.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 12:03 am

I think it could be done without being scary. Try thinking of it in hypertext format, for example -- less like an encyclopedia, and more like a well-designed website. It could even be a website (and/or "website on CD") if you feel like learning the basics of html, which is extremely easy as programming languages go. There are also a number of programs available which will let you make webpages without ever dealing with the nuts and bolts of html at all, if you prefer. Put in the most vital and basic information in each category first, then add to it until you're content with the coverage. Keep your pages fairly small and introduce new data gradually, and I doubt that your readers will be overwhelmed.

I'm a computer scientist, so maybe I'm just manifesting "when what you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." But it might be worth considering.