Congress may soon pass unconstitutional law

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:51 pm

Gobi, this has been enlightening. I want to make a "tactical retreat." My statement about my position being "obvious" was overwrought and I withdraw it. I need to do some more reading on this issue.

gobi
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2007, 3:08 pm

jimservo wrote:
Gobi, this has been enlightening. I want to make a "tactical retreat." My statement about my position being "obvious" was overwrought and I withdraw it. I need to do some more reading on this issue.

Cool beans. Thanks for making me do my homework!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Mar 2007, 3:47 pm

gobi wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
gobi wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
i thought washington dc was a state
The "DC" stands for District of Columbia.
whats that? a county? sounds like its apart of south america
The District of Columbia is the city where the US federal government is seated. It's between the states of Maryland and Virginia, and it is not a state. And I commute through it every day. Twice.
so its not a state or a county but its a capital of the united states? that doesnt make sence. but i guess the governemt doesnt make sence anyways, so it doesnt matter.

Jacob_Landshire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2007, 6:32 pm

jimservo wrote:
Military tribunals have a long established precedent in American history, going back to before the Republic was even formed. The Supreme Court backed military tribunals passed by congress to try German saboteurs in the Second World War. Tribunals existed in WWI, and the Civil War. There is literally no basis in law to assume that such tribunals are unconstitutional, and no international compact signed by the United States would make it so.

The Military Commissions Act of 2006 does more than set up a military commission. Its provisions violate Article 1, Section 9, Clause 2 of the U.S. Constitution known as the Suspension Clause:

“The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.”

It takes some imagination to think we are in a state of invasion or rebellion.

There is no expiration so the act is open ended.

The Federal Government can declare anyone an “enemy combatant” and imprison them without legal recourse. Prisoners who believe that they have been incorrectly identified as an “enemy combatant” can not challenge their status because their constitutional rights have been stripped.

There is no reason to suppress a viewpoint unless it is true, because a false viewpoint can easily be combated with facts and logic, while the truth cannot be combated except by lies which are vulnerable to refutation.

headphase
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 10:25 pm

The 23rd amendment allowed citizen of DC to vote for the President. I'll be all for another amendment that allowed representation in Congress. I think there is an agreement if the were to happen that Utah would be given an extra representative as well since there was a controversy of not counting Mormon missionaries in the latest Census.