Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 9:57 am

I've made a lot of recent posts lately sorry. Kind of a rough time a rush of emotions. Anxiety/stress and sort of depression. :-( I was on disability since birth then taken off at 18. From 18-21 fought to get it back then 21-29 8 years I was on it again. Now about a week ago I was denied. I'm 29 now. Through out 18-29 I've held ONE 3 month job Mcdonalds part time 3 days a week was stress/depression for an Aspie (didn't know of Asperger's in 06 personally.) But even 3 days a week come home depressed go to sleep even a day off wasn't enough to recharge as I hear most Aspies need to do. So that was a VERY tiring and depressing job. It made me scared to NOT get a job again!! !

My denial from April 2015 (yes just last week.) Was due to I can socialize since I can get a Bachelor in Criminal Justice. It was 100% online though outside of HAVING to do required Spanish courses ON CAMPUS in 2011 practically 100% was ONLY ONLINE!

Also if you can do online classes you have basic routine and reading writing skills etc. and the OMG! Bachelor got a college degree so I must be able to function socially. :-(

I'm scared. I tried finding work from home and those = customer call center and I'm not good with people.

Part time scares me (see above Mcdonald's example) and if THAT = tired/depression what would a full time job do!

With no experience my mom doubts I could get an actual CJ job ASAP since I don't have experience ever working. :-( But I don't want to play Mario for 6 months and it be Christmas with no income (my last two checks are supposed to be May/June) although it'll be nice to NOT keep getting SSI papers in the mail all the time.

I WANT to just sit back and play my games. Keep to my normal. :-( My parents insist I don't need to get a job ASAP but I feel I was contributing with my SSI Disability check and would feel bad if I wasn't contributing. But barely a week and I'm spent! stressed upset!! !! !

I just want to play my games! and clean house typical stay at home stuff!! !! !

Also BTW I couldn't do internships during my CJ degree 2010-2014 since I didn't want that to look suspicious to getting back on disability. :-(

So?

When did you grow up and what should I do? I'm stressed and feel DONE! and it's been barely a week!! !! !!

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 10:59 am

McDonald's Is not an easy job for for an aspie.

For call centre work you do not have to be good with people because you're not required to make small talk or anything. Your only required to give information

The biggest thing you must work on before thinking about getting a job is attitude. You've been out of work for a long time so don't think you can get a full time job and cope. Perhaps start volunteering for a couple of days a week.

Many charity shops take volunteers and you can learn retail skills :D often you dont need to talk to people much either. I used to help at a charity shop and i was mostly putting tags on clothes, sorting out books and stocking the shop.

You will still have time to play games also. You don't need to stop despite what society suggests, as long as you don't spend too much time it's cool.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 11:58 am

Doing a job is not easy, if you almost haven´t got any training. Now that your parents are very relaxed about you getting a job, you could perhaps take a few hours some place for a start - as a jobtraining. You could increase hours down the road until you find your limit.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 12:05 pm

I wish I had a job. I can't even get ssi.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 1:03 pm

Also I did a questionnaire for one of the reputable online jobs a call center and it asked basic math questions for what reason I have no clue! Then the typical questionnaire on the job how dedicated you are basic boring questions. I picked neutral on all of them. Target does the same type of questionnaire thing example if Sally needed help with a customer you'd do what? a b c d? Uh? I've never been in that work situation so it's optional based IMO I don't know how I'd react to that situation since I've never been in it so I HATE those questionnaire type things. Socially I suck! and have a really hard time answering those since I don't know what kind of answer the employer would want since I've never been in that certain situation. Yet alone the interview process!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 3:48 pm

So why not look into very antisocial jobs?

Night clerk at a hotel, filing in an office, data entry, some routine manufacturing assembly line job, shelving books at a library, janitorial work - especially night shift etc. There are many occupations out there that require very very little interaction with any other people.

Also, I'm not sure I'll ever completely grow up.. in the words of a coworker: "I don't want to adult today!" :P

Last edited by goldfish21 on 22 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm

Zelda: you can never make "too many" posts.

I hope you feel our advice is worth it.

When did I grow up? I still haven't! LOL

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Zelda: you can never make "too many" posts.

I hope you feel our advice is worth it.

When did I grow up? I still haven't! LOL

Thanks. I'm enjoying everyones advice recently. Seems I fall into that millennial 18-30 age of people still growing into adulthood. I even googled "how to grow up." (I'm an aspie and love research LoL!) Most things focused on exercise or finding job coach help. I need to get to UCF and try to look that route. Night work isn't an option since I don't drive yet. (need to get my license and learn 1st). Considering trying yoga or some form of exercise to deal with anxiety and focus on bettering myself during this rough time. :-)

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2015, 5:04 pm

You could try working from home for leapforce or appen. They pay about 14 dollars an hour I think.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 5:34 pm

I grew up the day my first child was born.