Young Adults With Autism More Likely To Be Unemployed

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2015, 7:06 pm

I lucked into my current job. Normally I have a lot of trouble keeping or even getting a job because I don't have good skills.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:47 am

I'm getting worried. I supposedly got a job at Wally world but haven't heard back since the drug test and I'm scared because I took an Ativan the night before and it hadn't been prescribed to me. 8O

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 8:59 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I'm getting worried. I supposedly got a job at Wally world but haven't heard back since the drug test and I'm scared because I took an Ativan the night before and it hadn't been prescribed to me. 8O

They only test for illicit drugs, not prescription drugs. You have absolutely nothing to worry about, forget about it and find something to occupy your time until Walmart calls you back-- they're a mega large corporation that eats the poor, children, and on occasion angels, so they have lots of stuff to do before they process your application.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 9:00 am

George Carlin has revealed why we have such a dumb-ass population with such a crappy media-system...

SocOfAutism wrote:
The media should talk about that instead of making life seem hopeless if you aren't just like everybody else.

bookworm360
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jun 2015, 1:18 pm

AutumnSylver wrote:
This is exactly what happened to me. I didn't go to college for the first time until I was 28. I spent most of the time before that going from temp job to temp job, and none of them ever lasted longer than a few weeks. After the first time I went to college, I spent 2 years trying to find a job before I decided to go to college again. I spent another 2 years after that trying to find a job, so I decided to go back to college again, which is where I am now. I'm really hoping that the same thing doesn't happen again, because I'll have no hope of ever paying back my student loans if I don't get a good job.

I'm afraid I might be on the same treadmill. Unlike you I went to college right out of high school (I'm a high academic performer) and I worked the entire time (I have good spatial visualization and memory and lucked into finding pizza delivery which I'm pretty much perfect for), but after I entered the professional workforce I failed without really understanding why when I had all the knowledge I thought I needed. So after a little more than two years I found myself retreating back to academia and pursing a second Masters degree...but now I'm graduating and I still don't know how I'm going to find a professional position where I can thrive.

That's one of the major regions I decided to get an official diagnosis so I could get help from vocational rehabilitation programs to assess my needs and find a position and also because I've decided to disclose my autism for both ethical and practical reasons (ethical because I think nondisclosure would be forming a contract under false pretenses, and practical because I think although disclosing may make it harder to find a job I hope it will help find employers who are ready and able to accommodate my needs).