Houdini escapes his coffin (with help)

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 3:26 am

Just found this article interesting. I just don't get the part about the Navajo guy. I've never heard of his dude and I live near the Navajo or Dine Nation. And what does he have to do with Houdini? The article isn't exactly precise. Maybe they meant he wrote the book about Houdini??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/ap_on_re_us/houdini_exhumation;_ylt=AjUSUiAfqW2Z_mWvCBpwQXus0NUE

Any time I think of Houdini I hear Kate Bush's song about him. "With a kiss I'd pass the key..."

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Mar 2007, 4:21 am

That's *really* interesting.

The connection isn't very clear, but they say "A team of top forensic investigators would conduct new tests on Houdini's body, said Hardeen, whose grandfather was Houdini's brother." Hardeen is the Navaho guy, I think? I'm not sure if he's Navaho or just represents them?

I'm going to have another look at that. I always thought that for a smart guy, Houdini was spectacularly stupid when it came it came to appendicitis. It didn't match the rest of his legend, y'know?

Also re appendix being on the wrong side - that can happen - my sister's appendix was on the wrong side, the docs had to hunt for it. It was folded back on itself or something.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 7:31 am

I saw an article about this on the internet. I'm confused. Every program I've ever seen on Houdini said he died of peritonitis, infection of his abdomen resulting from a burst appendix. Antibiotics were barely known at that time, and it wasn't unusual for people to die from an infection. Soooo where does this guy get the idea Houdini was poisoned ??? Sounds like a publicity seeker.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Mar 2007, 10:33 am

The way I heard it, Houdini had appendicitis and insisted that somebody punch him in the stomach, to show off his strong stomach muscles. That punch, reluctantly delivered by a visitor at Houdini's insistence, is what burst the appendix.

That's what I think is strange - Houdini doesn't seem to have indulged in that kind of behaviour anyway ("Come on, hit me, I can take it I tell ya!") and then to do that with an appendix full enough to burst, i.e. he must have been feverish and nauseous by then?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 10:47 am

You've got the story a bit twisted, Claradoon. From what I've heard, Houdini was ill, and was punched in the stomach by a student who had come to his dressing room after a performance. Houdini apparently let people try their best 'shot' on him to demonstrate the strength of his abdominal muscles. But this young man's punch was unexpected, so Houdini didn't have time to tense his muscles. He was already ill, and probably suffering from a fever. But he was a showman first and foremost, and insisted on going ahead with another performance. By the time he was rushed to a hospital his appendix had ruptured, and spread the infection. Remember, antibiotics really weren't used until WWII, so the doctors did what they could do to cleanse the infection, but didn't have much to give him. I'll check Wiki to back this all up, but it's pretty well known he died of an infection, and NOT poisoning...

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Mar 2007, 10:54 am

Oh I don't doubt that peritonitis would kill. I just thought the the circumstances were odd. Another conspiracy theory! :)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 10:54 am

From Wiki:

"..modern medical knowledge gives no reason to believe Houdini's acute appendicitis was caused by any physical trauma. McGill University's archive supported this idea: It appears that Whitehead's punch to Houdini's stomach, while not fatal, aggravated an existing but still undetected case of appendicitis. Although in serious pain, Houdini nonetheless continued to travel without seeking medical attention."

Whitehead was the name on the Uni student who punched him in the stomach. It would seem that Houdini's death was due to his stubborness, and insisting on performing as scheduled.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 3:01 pm

I didn't even know he was still alive!

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 4:56 pm

That yahoo story doesn't give a good picture of why they think he was poisoned - look at this MSN article...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17741602/

BTW, Larsen, he died in 1926. They're actually digging him up at the request of some great-nephew.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 4:58 pm

How come everyone believes he's still alive?

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 5:11 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
How come everyone believes he's still alive?

He's actually reincarnated... In the form of my little bastard dog that manages to defeat the fence regularly.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Mar 2007, 5:11 pm

What if the coffin's empty?
8O

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 5:12 pm

Wow!