anyone else unintentionally slam doors?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SpriteLightning
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2022, 1:11 am

I've always had this problem. Constantly slamming cups on the table or into my face. Slamming all sorts of other things. Most of which others have listed as well. I'm also constantly biting my tongue and cheeks.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 5:49 am

My mother was AS and didn't like noise. If I was crying, I was just quarantined until I got quiet, but she was my ally for quitting piano lessons. Dad was a handyman, so I got used to swinging a hammer or using power tools, but I often choose quieter options and can work in a house with very minimal disturbance. I also used to startle people by walking quietly.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:02 am

Never. I'm extremely gentle and careful with everything. I'm averse to fixing broken things or cleaning up mess, so I try to never create the problem. People say I have the power of preservation. Things around me always last forever. :D Still holding the 50-year record of never having dropped a dish or glass. I notice that people who are fast and strong tend to break things a lot.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 11:25 am

I have done that on occasion.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 5:47 pm

y-pod wrote:
Never. I'm extremely gentle and careful with everything. I'm averse to fixing broken things or cleaning up mess, so I try to never create the problem. People say I have the power of preservation. Things around me always last forever. :D Still holding the 50-year record of never having dropped a dish or glass. I notice that people who are fast and strong tend to break things a lot.

Me too, mostly. It may be down to my childhood when my mother hated anybody having accidents or making any mess in her home, particularly her kids. If I knocked over a cup she'd be screaming before it even hit the floor. Though I rebelled against her regime on practically all levels as soon as I got away from her, so it seems odd that I ended up being very careful about keeping that particular commandment.

Nor do I remember ever being particularly clumsy (except that I was a messy schoolboy from the ages of about 12 till 15), just that when I first heard about ASD traits many years later I thought at first that I wasn't clumsy, until I looked into my behaviour and realised I'd rendered my environment extremely foolproof against accidents, and that I was in fact somewhat clumsy but had managed to develop strong coping strategies to mitigate it. As well as controlling my environment, my movements are usually slow and deliberate but if I let myself go they're sudden and clumsy. I put a lot of effort into avoiding making a mess, as I hate chores, and it causes problems when living with others because they create more drudgy work than I do but it can be hard to convince them that my taking an equal share in "the chores" is unfair on me.

Anyway, accidentally slamming doors: no I don't usually.