anyone else unintentionally slam doors?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2015, 6:13 am

I seem to be accused of seeming to be angry alot when I'm not, if it's not slamming doors or talking loudly it's my "idle face"

Curious about the experience of others.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:47 am

Yep - and sometimes I slam filled cups too hard (guess the result). I just recently learned not to slam car doors. :)

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2015, 6:50 am

Yep, especially car doors. I'm always being moaned at, "You don't have to slam the door so hard". :oops:

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 7:11 am

Due to constantly sneaking around the house at night when everyone was sleeping as a child, I'm always tiptoeing around and shutting doors without making the slightest sound. I often startle people who didn't realize I was even there.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:33 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
Due to constantly sneaking around the house at night when everyone was sleeping as a child, I'm always tiptoeing around and shutting doors without making the slightest sound. I often startle people who didn't realize I was even there.

Yah - I'm stealthy too. Have the bad habit on unintentionally sneaking up on people and scaring the crap out of them.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:38 am

Yes, I seem to not have very good "finer" judgment on motor movements, and as someone else mentioned, I'm not good with cups and mugs either. I have to focus on putting my coffee down carefully. I remember years ago seeing someone on a talk show put their drink back on the table with such ease that I just couldn't stop thinking about how different it looked to my experience of putting my drink on a table.

Sequoia
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2015, 10:44 am

I do it all the time. I also slam the toilet lid down, and apparently, according to my parents, it gives an almighty slam.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 10:50 am

Sequoia wrote:
I do it all the time. I also slam the toilet lid down, and apparently, according to my parents, it gives an almighty slam.

I keep meaning to buy one of those "soft close" toilet seats/lids. They're amazing -- I don't know how they work but you kind of can't slam them, and they can't fall down by themselves either.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 11:35 am

Yep. I can't seem to figure out how to use the appropriate amount of force. All my life I've either been doing things too hard or too soft. This includes opening & closing car doors, house doors, toilet seats. Slamming glasses too hard on the table, or clacking them hard against my mouth when I'm trying to take a drink.
People say I sneak up on them, stuff falls out of my hands like some invisible person smacked it out of my grasp.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Apr 2015, 11:48 am

Jimmyboy, I can totally identify with the above: that post could have been written by me! I've often broken things unintentionally, and close things too hard or soft. I also walk around very quietly and people seem to jump nearly out of their skins at times, not realizing I'm there!

I often spill my coffee when I suddenly made an unexpectedly uncoordinated movement, despite having poured it so carefully, or spill it when removing it from the microwave.

I think my co-ordination has improved from when I was a kid, and especially since I started using a computer mouse. (I can only write left handed and can only operate a mouse with my right :? ).

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:17 pm

Only car doors, because for much of my childhood my Dad drove old junkers which needed their doors slammed in order to actually close.

Shoggothgoat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:32 pm

I chose my current cellphone essentially on the sole fact that it seemed like it could handle being dropped to the floor about once every other day. Still managed to pretty much wreck my phone. I drop and crash with pretty much everything. I need an autistic friendly cellphone as those military grade standard ones are not good enough.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:17 am

eggheadjr wrote:
MollyTroubletail wrote:

Yah - I'm stealthy too. Have the bad habit on unintentionally sneaking up on people and scaring the crap out of them.

Me too

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 1:25 am

I can attest most of the posts.

I do, almost half the time unintentionally slam doors. Then people mistook me for being angry all the time but in reality I don't know how much force I put to it. Not just building doors, car doors too. I broke a bathroom door stall once as a child. Then I nearly broke a car door once, and nearly broke someone else's side mirror upon opening a car door recently.

But also half the time, I'm stealthy. :lol: Trying to be careful not to unintentionally slam any doors at all. And people here kept talking about how I end up popping right behind them.

It's either too hard or too soft...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 5:07 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Jimmyboy, I can totally identify with the above: that post could have been written by me! I've often broken things unintentionally, and close things too hard or soft. I also walk around very quietly and people seem to jump nearly out of their skins at times, not realizing I'm there!

I often spill my coffee when I suddenly made an unexpectedly uncoordinated movement, despite having poured it so carefully, or spill it when removing it from the microwave.

I think my co-ordination has improved from when I was a kid, and especially since I started using a computer mouse. (I can only write left handed and can only operate a mouse with my right :? ).

The coffee... oh, the coffee! :( I have this terrible tendency to spill my coffee while walking from kitchen to living room by accidentally failing to hold the cup upright. Isn't a problem while standing still. I guess walking requires too much motor skill to have anything left for the cup. I fixed it by carrying the entire pot, which I don't fill full, to the living room with me and filling my cup at the coffee table so I never have to walk around with it.

I also spill coffee and other drinks from moving too quickly without realizing it until the liquid sloshes out of the cup and onto the floor (or the computer keyboard, or the couch, or the dog).

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will drop and break every cup I own. I don't like the feeling of plastic cups in my mouth, so I continue to use glass and keep a broom handy. I've also resigned myself to the fact that every new phone must also come with an expensive protective Otterbox case to keep it from breaking too quickly.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2015, 5:47 am

I also need a very sturdy case for my phone. This one is military tested and has saved my phone at least 10 times.