1Million Dollars Vs Lose Your Aspergers.

Page 1 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Which would you pick
1 Million untaxed dollars 88%  88%  [ 127 ]
Cure your aspergers forever 12%  12%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 145

IHaveAsgergers1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2015, 11:28 am

Which would you pick.

also before you say keep the aspergers, understand that some people with aspergers have undercover health problems.

IHaveAsgergers1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2015, 11:32 am

also you cant use the million to fund a cure or treatment.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 11:44 am

Easy. Getting $1 million and getting to keep my ASD would be the best of both worlds. If someone offered to give me $1 million to give up my ASD, I would turn them down.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 11:47 am

Humans scare me so I'm keeping my bonkers ways.
Things I would do with a mil:
1. New technology. Even a fifth of this amount would afford me carte blanche in terms of evading security & surveillance risks (no more Microsoft or Google in my life) as well as enabling me to dig into all the CGI design gear, 3D printers and subtractive manufacturing mills/cutters I could ever want.
2. Good clothes. I have friends on similar budgets (shoestring ones) who manage to prioritize this but I'm the first to issue an admission of being a dusty hippie. I honestly wouldn't mind looking like a morose art dealer once in a while.
3. Transportation. We're discussing more than enough cash to see through hundreds of project cars. My greyscale yuppie side would tell me to get a Tesla and call this habit quits but I've filled my brain. I'm not done with Saabs as long as I'm still breathing, fifth grade cberg bucket listed a Land Cruiser (I need a ski bum lair), and I've decided for posterity that I'll never let go of a station wagon before it crosses well into 300+ brake horsepower territory.

That and I could live off investments and spend my entire life traveling mountains and hand picking the ones to fly off of.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

RhodyStruggle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 12:01 pm

I'd take the million dollars, set it on fire, and murder the prick offering to cure me.

A burden discerned in the blood you taste

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

If I hadn't already figured out an effective treatment protocol I might take the cure, but since I have and ASD is no longer a major constraint to happiness or productivity in my life, I'd take the money.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 12:32 pm

I was once on a chairlift at a ski resort and was riding with other passengers and when the chairlift was about 50ft off the ground. I ask them. If someone where to give you a million dollars, would you jump off the chair at 50ft? The response I got was, no way, just the medical bills alone would eat up the $1M, not to mention, you would be in a wheel chair for the rest of your life. They even told me that they would not even do for 1 billion dollars.

So to give up my asperger for a 1 million? I really don't think I could. It's who I am, I grew up this way. I have no Idea of the psychological consequences that could fallow if I where cured of it. It's not worth the gamble to me.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 12:35 pm

^Actually that's just a matter of finding a steep enough chairlift and landing switch or after a clean 180. That and tracking down the sap that bet a million!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 12:44 pm

cberg wrote:
^Actually that's just a matter of finding a steep enough chairlift and landing switch or after a clean 180. That and tracking down the sap that bet a million!

Ya smartass! That why we have lawyers in this world. Sorry, I should've been more specific about the landing spot. I know what you mean by about landing the right spot on a hill. What I meant to say was. jumping 50 ft and landing on a flat surface.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 1:17 pm

Gimme the money.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 1:43 pm

AS affects me most when it comes to employment. Employment is what makes me feel anxious and depressed. I've always disliked being under strict rules and not being able to escape, even when I was at school. I've always wanted to live my own way, and just potter about doing housecleaning and other tasks in the home and garden, and getting groceries in the town, etc. When I tell that to others, they just go "oh everybody would like that", but I don't know so much. Yes most people do groan about going to work, but at the same time a lot of people do thrive on the general pressure of work and having a set structure, and a lot of people would get bored if they never had to work. But me, due to my anxiety levels, doing things at home in my own time is what I would love. Maybe it comes from having a creative mind and thinking outside the box.

So you would think that I would choose 1 million dollars and then live on that so that I needn't work any more, but would 1 million dollars last me for the rest of my life, having to pay bills and rent and home luxuries? Maybe if I was given enough money which will last me the rest of my life, then I may take it because then my AS won't affect my life so bad if I never had to work.

But the choice in the thread title says 1 million dollars, so let's imagine that is the only amount of money I'll be offered. So if that's the case, I would probably choose the cure where my AS is gone forever, and let's just pretend that this cure will definitely mean I will be an average NT with no other mental health issues. Then I won't be too limited with what job to have, and I could deal with customers more naturally. Also I few of my other quirks that are likely linked to my AS or ADHD will be lessened or gone.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
If I hadn't already figured out an effective treatment protocol I might take the cure, but since I have and ASD is no longer a major constraint to happiness or productivity in my life, I'd take the money.

You have to mention your placebo in every post?

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:31 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

You have to mention your placebo in every post?

No.

1.) It's not a placebo.
2.) I don't mention it in every post.
3.) It was relevant to my answer here.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:35 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
Easy. Getting $1 million and getting to keep my ASD would be the best of both worlds. If someone offered to give me $1 million to give up my ASD, I would turn them down.

Same.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 3:53 pm

A million dollars no contest. Just imagine all the books I could buy with that kind of money :) I could buy a nice house in the back end of nowhere, away from other people so I wouldn't have to worry about my autistic symptoms impacting me where socializing is concerned. Plus, if I budget it right, there's no reason for me to have to work if I have that kind of money, minimising the need for socialization even more.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
A million dollars no contest. Just imagine all the books I could buy with that kind of money :) I could buy a nice house in the back end of nowhere, away from other people so I wouldn't have to worry about my autistic symptoms impacting me where socializing is concerned. Plus, if I budget it right, there's no reason for me to have to work if I have that kind of money, minimising the need for socialization even more.

Not to mention the ability to focus on and maybe eventually market a special interest.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x