Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 3:03 pm

I did it! I finally bought a new pair of pants. I generally despise pants shopping (shirts, as in t-shirts, are not so bad because they are a small loss if I buy one and take it home and do not like the feel of it). PANTS shopping is difficult. Trying on multiple pairs, rarely getting the right feel/look. I hate it.

But today, I made myself go to Target as all my other pants are beginning to look worse than their age and on the first pair of jeans I tried, they worked! Of course, I had to take them home and cut a bit of the legs off as the length of my legs are never in proportion to the size of my backside (and since I also buy men's pants, the legs tend to be longer, since generally men's legs are longer proportionally than women's). But I did it. And I am now wearing my new yellowish-blue (I don't know the name for them) Levi's jeans (painter-style with the wider legs).

I did it. Ahhhhhhhhh..........

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 3:23 pm

Good for you!

Did you pick up an extra pair to have handy?

BeeBee

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 3:32 pm

Ooh. That is a good point. Shoulda bought another pair now that I know I like them. Hmmmm.......

Don't know whether I'd have the money atm though (this Sunday being Mother's Day). I did wish they had had some green cargo pants, too, though. That is what I went in looking for. Ah, well.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 3:41 pm

Sometimes Target on line has a wider selection then the stores.

Now that you know the brand and size you can pop on line when finances permit.

Good point about Mothers day though! Hope everyone else remembers.
(hint, hint. <----Just in case my son reads this)

BeeBee

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 5:14 pm

I vaguely remember how clothing and
breaking routine is a autism issue.

I am guilt of it. My shoes have to die
a horrible death to be replaced, my
Green Wool Jacket(see pg 10 of members
photo's) has been replaced after 6 years
of the last one JUST LIKE IT. My pants
have to die a mild death. I like mostly
tuxedo shirts, black slacks, black turtlenecks.
Don't ask how bad off my socks have
to be to be replaced(usually when I
replace my poor old shoes).

I hate buying clothing. I never find the
reflective styles that reflect my true
self. I do not go for trends.

Hmmm? Is this a autistic trait?
Ghosthunter

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 5:26 pm

Interesting post GH.

In my son's case, its a sensory issue. He doesn't like the feel of most clothes. Fashion means nothing to him and sweat pants are always available so he's pretty easy to please.

BeeBee

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2005, 5:57 pm

I like clothes and enjoy shopping for them. One thing I do not understand about Autism is how some Autistics seem to HATE clothing. I know it's largely a sensory issue, but it is still very hard for me to comprehend.

About the only materials I can think of that I'm sensitive to are satin (only if unwashed) and wool. Red satin material once made me break out as a kid (it was the red dye and it made my hands appear as if it were bleeding; I had brought it to play with and my mother ended up having to take the material away). Wool just makes me itch. I can wear wool things with no problem if there's a lining.

NotBlueAspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2005, 5:59 pm

BeeBee wrote:
Interesting post GH.

In my son's case, its a sensory issue. He doesn't like the feel of most clothes. Fashion means nothing to him and sweat pants are always available so he's pretty easy to please.

BeeBee

Yes, but the same _type_ of sweat pants are _never_ available!

Hari Seldon had it right. When they have something you like in stock, buy as many as you'll need for the rest of your life, because they'll go out of style in a year and then you'll never be able to buy them ever again.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 7:23 pm

NotBlueAspie wrote:
Yes, but the same _type_ of sweat pants are _never_ available!

Good point.

There are some sweats he does not like. I have learned even the same brand may not be the same season in and season out.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 7:33 pm

mmmm. Shopping. It releases a form of orgasm inside of me.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 9:09 pm

I wear T-shirts, 24/7. And either jeans or khakis/cargos. I very rarely deviate from this. I literally have to be forced to do so.

And I always love the look of soooooo many t-shirts but I find that many of them are of a stiffer material and/or just fit wrong (i.e., the neck is too tight, the neck is too wide, the arms are too long/big, the arms are too poofy, etc., etc.,etc.). I am perfectionistic in that they have to fit PERFECTLY. Otherwise, I will be adjusting the t-shirt all day. I now have learned I have to try on everything I purchase before I purchase it. I have too many t-shirts (about half the number of total shirts I own) that I do not wear at all because I was impulsive and bought it for the picture on it and didn't consider that it would be too annoying to wear.

So, I think mine is half tactile sensitivities and half perfectionism. I love shopping and I love the t-shirt designs, but I hate not using the Ts I buy. (And I hate seeing that big bag of unused shirts sitting behind my armchair.)

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2005, 10:47 pm

I'm pretty flexible as far as the feel of clothes goes...I can wear just about anything - even a tie, occasionally.

My big problem is with pants. I'm tapered, so the waist size never seems to correlate with the cuff size. That means what's right for my waist is all floopy around my legs. If the legs are right, I won't be able to get the pants around my thighs. That's why as much as I love khakis, I rarely wear them. You'll usually see me in a pair of basic black classic-fit Wranglers or something close. I'm not into the cargo/carpenter thing. And a simple pocket-t will do just fine, thanks.

strange_wraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2005, 11:08 pm

I used to wear nothing but shorts, no matter how cold it was (thankfully, it was never that cold in California). Then I started wearing dening shorts, because of a school dress code (jerks). Then I started wearing sweatpants on every cold day, no matter what. Then I got really angry and disillusioned about some trivial, non-important issue that no one else knew about, and as a result I started to wear nothing but black (Paint It Black!) denin jeans; I only wore blue jeans when I had no black ones left. And I still do. But now I have enough black jeans to never have to wear the blue ones.

I can't understand what thrill people get out of shopping for clothes. For me, it's just "is this shirt a style I like?", "does it look okay to me?", and I'm done. I get no thrill out of looking at clothes, and I tend to wear very boring ones at that. I don't even bother to shop; I just have my mom (who knows what styles I like) buy them for me, and if I don't like them, I have her return them. Honestly, I think she might wish I took more interest in what I wear. But then again, I'm very inexpensive to shop for, compared to what my brother was like, so she's happy.

I've never actually had any sensory problems with clothes though, aside from hating ties becasue they feel so tight around my neck. Too bad I'm forced to wear them for work, because all men at Walgreen's have to wear formal shirts and ties, plus a labcoat if they work in the pharmacy. The women, on the other hand, get away with wearing any unproffessional thing they can cover up with a labcoat. Now THAT sucks.

AsianMom
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 May 2005, 11:29 pm

When my boy was younger, he insisted on white shirt and white pants. Then I moved him to white with prints, then light colours and now he wears anything. :wink:

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 4:01 am

Yah I don't give a stuff about fashion. If it looks good to me, and is comfortable, who cares otherwise. Heh. Then again, I got a homemade shirt to wear today :P

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2005, 4:08 am

I hate shopping.
Let me tell you how hard it is for my parents to make me get new clothes/shoes: they have to hide my clothes or shoes when they are too shabby.
:evil: