Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 12:59 pm

[quote="Ticker"]Anyone ever made reservations at a posh restaurant under the name Donner? Then the matr'd would announce "table ready for Donner Party of five". :lol: quote]

oh! we ALWAYS use 'Donner' when we check in for reservations and it never grows old!

Just to hear "Donner. . Party of 3, 5 or 50' is just gratifying Harpo Marx somewhere in the Spirit World. . .

Merle

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 1:07 pm

[quote="Inventor"]The problem was living on corn and beans, and way too many people. [quote]

and the priesthood knew the secret of mixing lime with the corn to ward off pellegra. Those that followed the Nachez Trace and excaped to the Lower Illinois Valley show porosity in the skulls indicating they didn't steal the secret before they left.

Merle

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 3:55 pm

Why?

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 4:14 pm

Ticker wrote:
There was a Discovery channel episode recently that claimed Scotsmen or maybe Irishmen in olden times (sorry guys I forget which ones) practiced sacrifices. But didn't they supposedly do that in England too? And of course there's always the Donner Party.

A Roman chap called Tacitus wrote about the inhabitants of Britain around 2000 years ago. I think he did make a reference to human sacrifice. If you google his name you'll probably find more.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 4:16 pm

I understand that, but how in the world can it be?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 6:52 pm

The guy's seriously messed-in-the-head. I mean, maybe the lady was a heckler, but how about giving an intelligent reply, Mr. Guest Speaker? Too much to ask?

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 7:15 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
Wow!

What religion could he be?

Sorry to say this.... Roman Catholic.

He's an embarrasment to THIS Roman Catholic.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 9:52 pm

I thought Australians were decent!

In fact, I remember a thread in which I asked members here at the time to contrast the number of Australians over time and what someone thought I was implying was misconstrued by someone. They thought I was implying that the Australians themselves are strange, which I know is not true.

Honestly, I don't understand what the controversial situation with Mel Gibson is.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 10:13 pm

larsenjw92286 wrote:
What makes you think he doesn't care about people?

He only cares about "his" people. Anyone who is not the same race, religion or belief system he goes after them in a most vile way. He uses his power in Hollywood to create films that instigate feuding between peoples. His movies persuade people who are ignorant of other cultures and beliefs to hate people who are different. You say but they are ignorant. That's the whole point! A huge portion of the WASP population in America is clueless about other cultures. Its only the younger generation who has ventured forth in large numbers to forge friendships with people of assorted races and religions. The older generation for the most part is still very ethno-ignorant and prejudice.

Do you know what it is like to sit in the lunchroom at work and everyone at the table you are sitting at is talking after seeing the Passion movie about how EVIL Jews are and that Jews killed Jesus? (So did all however many millions of us that have ever existed ALL kill Jesus? Highly unlikely.) Maybe they should have checked to see if anyone was Jewish at the table before they said that.

I have also sat among people who put down Native Americans not knowing I am of Native decent. I don't sit at work and say all Roman Catholics or white people are evil. Because they're not. There is good and bad people in all races, religions, countries, ages, genders, etc. Almost every group of people at some point has had at least one practice that was horrific. Humankind is rife with cruelty and slaughter of innocents.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 10:19 pm

Ticker wrote:
larsenjw92286 wrote:
What makes you think he doesn't care about people?

A huge portion of the WASP population in America is clueless about other cultures.

A huge portion of Americans are clueless about other cultures, regardless of whether or not they're 'WASP' (which by the way, Mel Gibson isn't).

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2007, 10:36 pm

Oh, and the thread I made a little while ago you may not remember!

I don't think the two of you were even members at the time, but I made it!