Didn't know where to post this but..learning a language

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2015, 7:39 am

Are there any aspies here fluent in russian? I know a little, but I feel it may be better to learn from another aspie. I love the language but have difficulties with it still. My only teachers are fluent in russian but speak very little english, so I can't always ask questions.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 9:30 am

Moved from Random Discussion.

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2015, 9:37 am

Ah thank you for moving it. I wasn't entirely sure if it belonged here or not..and I was slightly discombulated from still waking up lol.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 10:15 am

lol no problem :)

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2015, 12:15 pm

I've studied Russian for four years, I studied abroad in Russia one summer, and I speak it well enough to have conversations with native speakers. I'm a native English speaker and I could probably explain things in a way that would make sense, since I've taken formal Russian classes myself and have a lot of textbooks for English speakers.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 3:21 pm

As a matter of interest, are people in Russia able to access WP, or is their internet censored or restricted in some way? I don't think I've ever come across a single poster who identified himself or herself as Russian, or as living in Russia. Strange, as it's such a large place....

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 3:25 pm

I've met several users from Russia. As I have some good Russian friends as well I'll stick around if all this stays in your thread.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2015, 7:24 pm

I can understand a lot more russian than I am usually able to respond to, I have a lot of older russian co-workers who I spend a lot of time helping them figure out things in english, and they've taught me a lot I suppose.. Just due to the language barrier I can't always ask questions and get the correct response..

And then figuring out when to use which word where in a sentence.. (did that come out right at all..)

I've got a moderately good grasp on their alphabet at this point, some I'm able to read and sound out words to an extent even if I can't understand what the word actually means...

It might be nice to meet a russian aspie lol.. I have some Apps on my phone that let you speak and learn languages from real people... Which has been helpful to a point, but there are issues with learning styles I suppose..

I feel like I've rambled, apologies.

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2015, 9:21 pm

Word order in Russian is very free, because of the use of cases. Anybody who is learning Russian as a second language will naturally use the word order from their native language, and unfortunately the only way to learn which word orders native Russian speakers prefer is experience, but as long as you are using the correct cases, any way you arrange a sentence will usually make sense.

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

30 Apr 2015, 2:42 pm

I've noticed a lot of russian speaks I work with speak english like they would speak russian. Instead of one of them telling me "I like you" She'll say "You me like"