Are you too sick to interact with people?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2015, 3:01 pm

I'm sick so often (with colds, flu etc) that I don't have the energy to interact with people. When I tried in the past, half the time I had a cold which made me socially undesirable anyway. Or it could be that social interaction is so stressful that it makes me sick.

Anyone with the same issues?

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm

existentialterror wrote:
I'm sick so often (with colds, flu etc) that I don't have the energy to interact with people. When I tried in the past, half the time I had a cold which made me socially undesirable anyway. Or it could be that social interaction is so stressful that it makes me sick.

Anyone with the same issues?

Get plenty of sleep, rest, get well, then you will be able to interact again. What you describe is perfectly normal.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 9:37 am

No, I've hardly ever been seriously ill, but I'm hypersensitive to the slightest of aches and pains, which can really cramp my social style. If I'm suffering physically, there's a huge limit on what people and I can do for each other, though very close friends are something of an exception. I just can't screen out the physicals, it's like the whole world is irritation, and I get very preoccupied with the prognosis.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 12:14 pm

When I don't feel well, I can lose my capacity to interact with people pretty rapidly. For me it's more often due to headaches, hormonal stuff, or just feeling exhausted in general.

existentialterror wrote:
Or it could be that social interaction is so stressful that it makes me sick.

Yes it very possible. And it's also possible that you become sick to have a reason to avoid it. Not that you aren't genuinely sick. But I mean, if the only time you really get to rest and be alone the way you need to, is when you're sick, your body has a lot more incentive to get sick.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

I usually do much worse talking to others when I'm sick or tired. Most days I don't sleep very well so I have more trouble interacting with others than I would if I got a good nights sleep and I also don't really feel like talking with anyone either because it's just too exhausting for me.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:44 pm

During all the cold season AND spring I get flu and cold, like really strong. It makes me impatient and angry because its so painful.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 2:47 am

I assumed this meant psychological. Even though it doesn'tI guess I will say anyways:
So I am too sick psychologically to form coherent sentences and order words properly. I can type, which I do, but I cant really talk and I am never able to express anything, which keeps everything gathering inside I guess.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 3:42 am

I have a very good immune system, hardly ever got sick when I was younger. These days, it's not nearly as resilient as it once was likely because I am not among the germs and bacteria to gain natural antibodies and weakening due to age. The only thing that makes me sick of interacting with strangers is being rejected and being told how strange I am and the social anxiety in relation to said action.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 12:46 pm

If you are sick you should not interact with people lest you spread your germs, if it is that type of sickness.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2016, 4:46 pm

I can normally cope with everyday life, but when I'm sick, I completely withdraw. I often don't talk to anybody, and stim more than usual. I think the added stress of feeling unwell, as well as environmental stressors, decrease my ability to cope, and to engage in normal activities.