Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 5:00 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
crime is not caused because a frustrated mother smacked her hard headed son a few times.

The crime in Baltimore is cause by racism, poverty, and a sh***y economy. I've lived on the East coast and seen it in action in too many communities.

If crime in Baltimore is caused by racism, poverty and a sh***y economy, what does hitting your kid accomplish? Nothing, except basically telling him violence is ok because mommy does it too. It is just a bad example, and that the talking heads on tv are cheering this on is just ridiculous.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 5:39 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
crime is not caused because a frustrated mother smacked her hard headed son a few times.

The crime in Baltimore is cause by racism, poverty, and a sh***y economy. I've lived on the East coast and seen it in action in too many communities.

They shouldn't add to their problems they should work through them but I do think evil has a stranglehold on many cities. Desperation and hopelessness is expected.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 7:33 pm

In the checkout in Goodwill, two Black women ahead of me, talking about their children. One said, "My son is twenty-one, and I am just glad he is still alive."

In general, young Black men have a death rate equal to soldiers in Viet Nam. It is a high risk occupation.

In New Orleans, often at the top for murder rates, 400 a year, almost all are young Black men.

Black is half the city, and males half that, young males maybe 10% and almost all the deaths. Between late teens and late twenties, the death rate is close to 1 in a 100, per year. Overall, 10% get killed.

That a Mother would put her son in the hospital to keep him alive is understandable.

Most crime is Black on Black, and the kids that do well in school, have jobs, have a car, are the most likely target.

All Blacks are not created equal. 12% of the population does half the crime, does not tell the story, 10% of that 12%
1.2% of the whole does half the crime. That is just Court and Jail numbers, most Black on Black crime is not reported.

The fifteen million illegals have the same problem, most are hard working family types, a minority beat the Mexican Police to the border, the other people who would kill them on sight, and mostly commit crime against other Latin's.
Being in jail in America is a Five Star Hotel to them, and the other choice is being dead in Mexico.

Now there is White on White crime, a minority that does most of it, but they are mostly Lawyers, Bankers, Government.

Officer Friendly used to write speeding tickets to white people. Making a traffic stop has become very dangerous. There are a lot of drug cartels, driving stolen vehicles, with a few hundred pounds of coke, and three passengers armed to fend off rival cartel hijackers. Pulling them over for not using a turn signal may be the last thing you ever do.

It is a hard problem to solve. A final solution would involve five million people just vanishing without a trace.

Political Correctness is against that, but Leftist west coast States have a three strikes law. Life in prison for a third Felony conviction seems harsh and expensive.

I imagine that next the Dog Pound will keep strays in cages for their natural life.

Something has to be done, we have Abortion, Pulling the Plug, Assisted Suicide, so perhaps hanging and organ harvest to pay the Social Debt would balance the Scales of Justice.

The Police are living in fear, more is going to Prisons than to Education, we used to have a regulated Guest Worker Program. The vast majority of Blacks and Hispanics are hard working respectable people, law abiding, who want a better life for their children.

"I have a dream, that people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by what is in their hearts."

So true, if their hearts are filled with evil, hang them and part them out.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 7:36 pm

This afternoon the Baltimore baseball team, the Orioles, played against the Chicago White Sox in a stadium from which fans were barred. The first time in US professional baseball history (Major League) that a game has been played without spectators, apart from essential staff.

As I see it, this has made the city of Baltimore into a laughing stock and I can't see what it has to do with Freddie Gray.

BTW some more info regarding events leading to Mr. Gray's death: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-gray-settlement-20150429-story.html.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 7:43 pm

trollcatman wrote:
...I think it's likely that hitting is a normal "parental tool" in that house, so it's no surprise the son is drawn to violent riots.
I read that Baltimore had a history of having above average crime. Maybe it's a cultural thing over there where violence is considered more normal than in other parts of the country.
That sort of hitting is a cultural thing although it's not universally admired, in fact there's been quite a bit of public discussion recently about parents hitting their children which they'll tell you is exactly what their parents did to them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

Inventor wrote:
That a Mother would put her son in the hospital to keep him alive is understandable.

If we are going to adopt this false belief the only way to keep someone living is to beat the living hell out of them then you are going to see many more future riots because it is what fuels this mindset, the idea violence must occur.

I would encourage, right at this moment, any rational person out there in Baltimore or has the means to go and has an interest in that community, work hard to make your presence known and to provide guidance and sanity. Make it your mission to do that. Violence is not a rational response. It is only destruction.

It is going to take actions that are much more difficult than just punching someone; like time, dedication, long term interest and stability, ambition, ability to protect and nurture. All these MUCH much tougher than simply smashing and hitting, much more exhausting which is why you don't see them as much but this is what will really make a difference. People will have to decide how much of themselves they are willing to invest, how far they are willing to go, what they are willing to do because it will take these precious resources which involve the very being of the individual which is the most precious resources we all have. It's much more difficult than spending money, beating, throwing, stealing. It involves being someplace for someone everyday and staying positive. Much harder to do than nearly anything else.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 9:31 pm

trollcatman wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

If crime in Baltimore is caused by racism, poverty and a sh***y economy, what does hitting your kid accomplish? Nothing, except basically telling him violence is ok because mommy does it too. It is just a bad example, and that the talking heads on tv are cheering this on is just ridiculous.

Look, I'm not going to defend hitting kids, but I will make a couple of observations here.

First, concerning crime--the majority is drug related and motivated by economics. The majority of violent crime can be linked to the drug trade. The balance of crime is nonviolent crime against property, also motivated by economics.

Second, from what I've seen in the research, the hitting of kids does warp them, but only when it happens in a specific way.
Usually, the parent is indifferent to the child's behavior and only reacts violently when the child does something that makes the parent mad. Then the parent reacts swiftly and violently--usually, by grabbing the child and swatting or slapping them. In this scenario, the violence is framed as part of a social transaction and the lesson to the child is something like: If you make someone bigger and more powerful angry they will respond with violence. Therefore, if someone weaker then me, makes me angry it is okay to respond with violence.

However, when violence was used consistently, as a punishment, i.e. the consequence of disobedience or bad behavior, it did not make the children more violent.

What we see the mom doing on TV seems like punishment for bad behavior... So, it's probably not really harming the kid. Of course, we don't know if this is typical, so, we cannot really judge what sort of parent she is from this single, emotionally overcharged incident.

But, to the issue of how the media is treating her... I think that goes to another misperception about poor families. The idea that poor kids misbehave because the parents are neglectful and they don't care what their kids do. That's BS too. Sure, some parents don't care, but more of them do.

Poor minority kids act out because they see society as unfair and working against them. They don't feel like they're part of it, so they might as well act against it. (in the context of the riots)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm

That's only what you saw on the video and the fact that it was on video and went viral is warping in itself but hey - maybe a rational person will reach out to these people and help them find the sanity needed to build self esteem into this family because, that my friend, is what will keep these kids OUT of the gangs and the drugs and will channel their lives into something much more meaningful and much less destructive so they can escape this insidious cycle of violence and poverty.

The answer is to look the monster in the face and say I am not going to become a part of it. I am going to follow a better path and yes, there is a path out of this. It doesn't all end in drugs, violence and death. I can find a career, hell, there's lots of options. If nothing else, be a medical assistant in a hospital. It pays okay and men are great at that sort of thing because they have a lot of energy and strength which helps in that kind of work. There are ways out. Even the military is an option. You can't just sit there and say, oh there are no jobs and it's going to be a short, bitter, violent life because there's nothing for me. You have to be able to train into that career that will lift you up and for that to happen you must respect yourself completely first or you will become a huge part of the problem and it will become worse and worse.

The beginning is to say, you know, violence is not helping anyone and I want more for myself than this sort of meaningless existence. Part of respecting yourself is to respect others physical existence.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 4:19 am

Actually, the stealing is kind of funny. It's just so pointless. I don't care what anyone says, 1000 broken windows are worth less than one broken spine.

Let's try not to kill each other though... that would just be dumb.

The interesting thing here to me though is that research has shown that African Americans are more likely to use corporal punishment on their children. I would like to see this trend change. I'm talking of course about that poor lady shown on TV who has sort of hitting her kid. Anyway she was on camera. Probably worse off camera.

I'll probably be accused of trolling but there is a very very complex problem. Although everyone who isn't an as*hole knows that black people are equal to whites, there are some cultural differences, and perhaps some of these cultural differences were even shaped by their poor treatment particularly in the past. It's up to the older generation to teach the new and vice versa.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 4:22 am

And more importantly, let's not be racist.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 6:40 pm

Fully support all the rioting and looting. Wish there was more of it.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

SKSFox1999
Raven
Raven

10 May 2015, 12:27 am

Then why don't you go and join them?

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 6:00 am

The funny thing is black cops are just as bad as white cops I think it's really weird how this whole racist cop thing has started. It's not just that some cops are racist (which is certainly true), but more important is the fact that a large percentage of cops are simply as*holes. And as*holes are more likely to be racist.

Alright, sorry if I have offended any cops here. But a large percentage of cops are as*holes. This is clearly a fact. Some are not.

Apparently, some of the officers involved in the Freddie Gray case were black. Is this true?

Anyway, anyone who has dealt with cops know that this is the cop problem is a problem of corruption, and not simply a racism problem. I'm not downplaying the racism but it's a byproduct of assholism.