Aspergersvs high functioning autism vs mid functioning vs LF

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 6:49 pm

How would you diagnose Aspergers vs mid functioning versus low functioning autism? In your opinion what are the differences? What are common misconceptions misdiagnosises and comorbids?

Here is my example that may be used in my book and this is just a bace I'm working on from my notes from a while back. What do you guys think of it?

Okay so if people have been wondering the differences between Aspergers high functioning autism and low functioning classic autism let me tell you.

ASPERGERS

People with aspergers are generally very smart generally don't have many academic or developmental problems and usually have all around genius like qualitys they will be able to finish work generally faster than their peers but have huge social issues and can be physically clumsy. They usually can deal with sensory overload pretty well in the way that they are able to identify it and know more ways to cope.

May have an easier time recognizing manipulation and might be more negative . Likes being alone. Although has more problems with socialization will be less naive and is emotionally way more mature and aware of the world then their peers.

Have less urge and ability to socialize but will recognize social behavior and or facial expressions though won't connect them to to world, conversations or emotions use them or care. They will see them but not notice their importance or know why they are there or what their used for.

Usually studies non school related topics a lot. Special interest tends to be something academic and are mostly made up of facts about a topic. Usually drawn more to special interests then socialization and does not intentionally or actively share their interest with others and if in a conversation will not want to talk much or just be "there".

Less likely to have a "visual classic autistic world" but not likely to have problems with visualization.

Usually diagnosed late the earliest I would say about eight or nine and tends to do Very well on iq tests and achievement tests and to be in gifted or general education and some may not have a 504 or iep.

* could also be in resorse or have counseling.

Common miss diagnoses or cormorbids

OCD

Social anxiety

Depression

Conduct disorder

If misdiagnosed most likely seen as: mentally ill

Character equivalent : dexter

HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM

People with high functioning autism tend to have less social problems and had more academic and developmental problems but usually don't have much physical clumsiness.

They tend to pass by school or do somewhat above average but not high enough to be seen as gifted. These people seem to have a desire to be social but don't know how.

Are often seen as quirky or wired and are usually liked but then avoided or seen as targets. May recognize rules and often calls out people for breaking them.

For boys : May not really get social skills but tend to be better at it and more able to socialize but have have more obvious symptoms and although may be liked (because boys tend to have less social expectations)and seen as a class clown or quirky often.

Also classmates tends to feel a bit weirded out by their eccentricness.

For girls: tend to be misunderstood and un liked. Very naive. likely to be taken advantage of and bullied. May notice direct bullying but more likely will confuse it with regular girl gossip talk. Will not notice Subtle bullying or sarcasm. Other nt girls will not know what to think of them.

Usually has interests like their peers.

Tends to be misdiagnosed as a learning disability

ADHD

Dyspraxia

Odd
Toretts
Social communication disorder.

Low functioning autism

People with low functioning autism Tends to have even less difficulty socializing but to go off in their own little world. Has has a Lot of developmental and academical problems.Servants tend to pass school but most are in special education

Mainly bright and and optimistic

Boys

Understood by people know that there autistic but shunned by those that are creeped out by them has both mental and developmental issues.

Girls

Underdiagnosed Seen as either a servant or mentally ret*d.tend to be seen as different sweet and kind but has problems being in a conversation.

Special interest tends to be something like toys or cartoons or something else non academics subjects also something to so with numbers like scores .

Tends to be misdiagnosed as cognitive inpariment
Misdiagnoses

Mental retardation

Global Developmental delay

William'syndrome

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 12:29 am

A lot of stereotypes. The description of Aspergers sounds like media representations then diagnostic criteria
http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html

Quote:
[The following is from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM IV]

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

I was an average student and never in any gifted classes. While I like to be alone I know a number of Aspies who prefer to be with people but fail at it and I know some who are very extroverted. Because of my Executive Functioning difficulties I am very tedious and slow in my work. Getting in repetitive loops slow me down.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 5:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A lot of stereotypes. The description of Aspergers sounds like media representations then diagnostic criteria
Quote:
[The following is from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM IV]

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

I was an average student and never in any gifted classes. While I like to be alone I know a number of Aspies who prefer to be with people but fail at it and I know some who are very extroverted. Because of my Executive Functioning difficulties I am very tedious and slow in my work. Getting in repetitive loops slow me down.

Well it's still in its early stages is there anything you would fix? I don't just want to pull out the dsm I want to put it in my own words what should I do?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 1:37 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Well it's still in its early stages is there anything you would fix? I don't just want to pull out the dsm I want to put it in my own words what should I do?

Keep on reading what Autistics have to say and try and stay away from stereotypes created by the media. Keep up to date with current research.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2015, 4:02 pm

To me, the terms HFA and LFA are useless in autism. One reason why is because I had both but at different points durning my lifetime. Aspies are aware of the real world but see it in a difficult, weird different way. The main pointing reason difference that is upon agreed on between what you call "HFA" and Aspergers is that there is no delay in speech, cognition, or adaptive functioning. I was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 6. I had a speech/cognitive delay that is unusual from that of HFA. I was perfectly normal and NT from birth until I was 2, when I regressed. That means I lost speech and skills. But today I am like an Aspie. But studies prove that when compwaring autistic people with normal cognition who had a speech delay and those with Aspergers proved that a speech delay ( or for me a developmental regression) is not good enough to justify the difference between autism with normal cognition later in life and aspergers. This is debatable, but is it appropriate for me to not be considered aspergers today despite normal cognition today?