Are you able to control your emotions?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2015, 3:19 pm

I'm unable to control my emotions, and no amount of therapy has helped me. I'm embarrassedly an emotional wreck, prone to frequent meltdowns and tizzies. I even know of a therapy treatment that COULD help, only that I seem unable to implement it, my negative emotions are that strong.

I've had years of treatment and have been unable to benefit. It is embarrassing! I can't seem to remember anything I'm told in a session, and even if I write it down, I misplace the piece of paper or simply don't have the werewithal to look at it when I need to. Example: Once piece of paper says to "take a deep breath", and if I'd simply been able to use this, I would have delayed many a meltdown.

My feelings are too strong, coupled with social isolation and a sense of futility I guess.

Anyone else have trouble controlling emotions? Also, are you in treatment and if so, are you able to benefit from it?

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 3:30 pm

Yes and no. It's all or nothing for me, even though I don't want it to be that way.

Actually, that's not true, that's just what I say it's like because the part of me that communicates does not connect to the emotions that might be going on underneath. If I pause and think about it I will notice that I am indeed having emotions. But other times I will want to have emotions and think logically that I should be experiencing something different than what I seem to be experiencing.

The easiest way to explain though, again, is that I either don't experience them or they're there in full force overwhelmingly. I try to avoid at all costs meltdowns in public. This results in me staying at home or leaving work when I sense that I will be emotionally volatile at that point in time. I call those times moods, whether or not that's actually what a mood is, because I can be in a state of mind where I'm not upset at that point in time, but I know that the slightest frustration will cause me to explode angrily, for instance. My moods are unpredictable. I associated them once with eating gluten, right after my celiac disease and I experienced relief that I wasn't just creating all my symptoms in my head, but I've found that I'm not eating gluten and I still have them.

That and my adhd-like or negative schizophrenia-like block affect my life badly.

Poor motivation

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 1:47 pm

My negative emotions are all extreme. I have fairly severe depression and other things. I see evil in people.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 1:59 pm

I am able to control my emotions because I am able to control my thoughts.
Only when you are able to control your thoughts will you be able to control your emotions.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 2:27 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Only when you are able to control your thoughts will you be able to control your emotions.

This is the most infuriating thing I ever see and hear. Fcuk CBT. Either I am wholly unaware of a LARGE part of my thoughts, or my emotions do not react to my thoughts. That I could also have thoughts that I am unaware is also even more unlikely because I perceive I have a large amount of control over any and all thoughts I have.

Poor motivation

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 2:39 pm

I try to. But, I am not always successful.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 2:41 pm

Not all of your thoughts are necessarily that of your own & there are such things as synthetic-telepathy.

cavernio wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

This is the most infuriating thing I ever see and hear. Fcuk CBT. Either I am wholly unaware of a LARGE part of my thoughts, or my emotions do not react to my thoughts. That I could also have thoughts that I am unaware is also even more unlikely because I perceive I have a large amount of control over any and all thoughts I have.

You can even find "patents" on various forms of such mind-control devices/technologies.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 2:50 pm

existentialterror, I can so relate to your post. I also have extreme trouble controlling my emotions. The anger just builds up inside me and I feel a burning urge to let it out, usually in the form of screaming and hurting myself. I have been working with a therapist on many different strategies, such as taking deep breaths and looking at coping cards, but none of them have been successful for me. It's just that in the moment I don't have the will to look at a piece of paper or to force myself to take deep breaths. I guess I don't really try very hard; part of me likes wallowing in my misery.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 3:22 pm

TheAP wrote:
existentialterror, I can so relate to your post. I also have extreme trouble controlling my emotions. The anger just builds up inside me and I feel a burning urge to let it out, usually in the form of screaming and hurting myself. I have been working with a therapist on many different strategies, such as taking deep breaths and looking at coping cards, but none of them have been successful for me. It's just that in the moment I don't have the will to look at a piece of paper or to force myself to take deep breaths. I guess I don't really try very hard; part of me likes wallowing in my misery.

When the thing that you cannot ignore is something like a sound that is overwhelming, it is not a lack of willpower that makes you unable to not hear the sound such that it will not bother you. I know no reason why emotions are exempt from the same sort of processing issues that other senses have in those with ASDs.

Poor motivation

ziulmota
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 May 2015, 3:36 pm

Same as you because I have autism (I was diagnosted with autism in 2000 in Ithaca, US) I'm unable to control my emotions and my feelings is too strong specially when women refuses a hug or a kiss and this makes me exalted, furious and stressed which lead me to punching a girl, yelling at her and threatening to take her phone and break or factory reset that phone or take her money. also social isolation is bad and I have social isolation because girls and women don't like me because they don't understand my situation because they don't know me very well

I'm on a treatment but currently I was not able to benefit from a treatment with my psychologist or medication. and my age (19) is one of the contributions to my childish behavior and when I was 14 I cyberstalked iJustine (I was not technically a cyberstalker because I was only 14 years old and I was only exhibiting a childish behavior very common to some people at this age) and underage boys or girls with autism are more likely to exhibit childish behavior in a manner that a people like iJustine think or see you as a cyberstalker/stalker when in reality is not because they do that by accident due to their age (14) and when I was 14 I didn't know that cyberstalking is a crime at the time (some 14 years old boys don't know stalking/cyberstalking laws in california or any other US State due to their age or country of residence) and in my country (brazil) I was below 18 (Age of criminal responsibility in my country not sure of age of criminal responsibility in California where iJustine lives because I can't find on DuckDuckGo which is an anonymous search engine on the internet the age of criminal responsibility on california) so I could not be prosecuted for crimes here in brazil at the time. only if I commited a crime here in brazil when I was 14 (when in reality I did not) I could only be apprehended which is not the same to be arrested and then forwarded to FEBEM here in the state of Rio Grande do Norte

So please check out my thread here: viewtopic.php?t=283809 so you can see my situation and fear of being arrested in US if I come to US or iJustine to accuse me as a stalker if I see her on the street or at the meetup (I will tell her that it was an accident because I was only 14 years old and I didn't understand anything about her and California Cyberstalking/Stalking laws)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 3:43 pm

cavernio wrote:
When the thing that you cannot ignore is something like a sound that is overwhelming, it is not a lack of willpower that makes you unable to not hear the sound such that it will not bother you. I know no reason why emotions are exempt from the same sort of processing issues that other senses have in those with ASDs.

My meltdowns aren't even triggered by sensory issues; they're triggered by people saying things I find unfair.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 3:46 pm

Yes, I can control my emotions such that they don't become overwhelming or lead to overly negative behaviors.
Not like I am in perfect control, but I have learned to regulate my emotions over time.
For me, the key is to defocus from some bad feeling I have and focus on something else for a short period, perhaps less than one second, then I feel that I don't feel the bad feeling as strongly when I let the focus go.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 3:57 pm

Sometimes I still lose control over them because I have anxiety. I can control them for the most part but I have my limits.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2015, 4:33 pm

For the most part, I am able to control my emotions. However there are times where I can't. Thankfully, those are rare.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 4:42 pm

Took best part of 15 years to really get the hang of this ''Take A Deep Breath' advice thing. But I got there in the end. For the greater part.
Anger is the hardest one being the emotion where my mind seems to have a mind of it's own. I'm still working on that..

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 5:26 pm

TheAP wrote:
cavernio wrote:

My meltdowns aren't even triggered by sensory issues; they're triggered by people saying things I find unfair.

Well, my point still stands in that I'm not sure how much willpower there is involved. Even bts's think of something else trick is not 'willing' the emotion away.

Poor motivation