Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 5:35 pm

oiy, ok.

Let's see...

Quote:
I have a real good antivirus program that WILL delete the offending file for you. It's called AntiVir personal edition and its free you can get it off download.com.

Um.. this did not seem to do much of anything. It was just like "no virus" and then it finished.

Quote:
another solution..clean out your temporary folder (via 'internet properties')..that gets rid of a few of the at-risk files norton won't exterminate...(i also get rid of my cookies & erase history while i'm at it)

I can't seem to get rid of my temporary internet files. I try to do it through explorer and it freezes. So I tried to do it manually by going to the folder and deleting files, and it denies me access to doing so.

Quote:
When you know the path to the virus you can remove it manually using the quarantine program that comes with Norton AntiVirus. Then scan the folder it was in again to make sure it's gone.

I did a scan with Norton (which took 4.5 hours, ugh), and nothing came up. Either the virus is eluding it now, or it was a false alarm.

Quote:
I've used a huge number of different scanning programs in my job, but only AVG Free hasn't let me down yet.

AVG does not love me. There was an error when I tried to install it.

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that some trojans embed themselves into the backup files that system restore makes, so if you use system restore, it will bring back the trojan as well.

Yes, I know. I turned my system restore off awhile ago.

I am not sure if this is a false alarm or what, since I do not see any weird symptoms, except for while I was actually scanning for viruses with the AT scanner, and the fact that I can't seem to delete my temp internet files. Are these signs of infection, or just quirks?

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 6:29 pm

Deleting the temp files normally takes ages and doesn't give you any visual cue to tell you it's working. Does the computer chug for more than a minute or two after you click the button to clear them?

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2005, 7:19 pm

It freezes the computer when I try to do it through explorer. When I tried to delete them from the actual folder, it gave me an error message that I do not recall exactly, basically denying me access.

I was able to delete most of them in "safe mode." I am not sure why, but I got the same error when I tried to delete the remaining ones, most of which are cookies from my own website.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2005, 3:02 am

MrMeaner wrote:
another solution..clean out your temporary folder (via 'internet properties')..that gets rid of a few of the at-risk files norton won't exterminate...(i also get rid of my cookies & erase history while i'm at it)

that's what i did when i had a trojan, and it worked. i "clean" my computer every few days or so anyway - rarely does anything come up. i go to "tools" and then "options" and then get rid of cookies, cache and temp files. there's a system tool which allows you to do something like this too, if you're using XP.

blimey - the computer illiterate morgvis spouting on in a computer thread - best save this one, folks... it's a miracle!

ManureMental
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 May 2005, 4:22 pm

I use XP operating system, also using norton internet security suite, and run Spybot search and desroy.I never allow my XP operating system to use the sytem restore.
Reason:- System Restore allows us to roll back to a known working state and time however, the problem is System Restore only rolls back the operating system changes, it does not roll back your files. Therefore if your computer was to catch a virus, it would then be archivied in the System Restore Repository, here it can stay safely away from your Anti Virus Guard (AVG) programs, if you then use System Restore to go back to an earlier known working time then the virus that you thought you had dealt with, is suddenly alive and able to cause trouble again.
If you feel the need to use System Restore, i would advise a full system scan of the computer-check for updates for your AVG and also check the AVG programs homepage on how to scan System Restore Repository- they will usually give you a good step by step on the removal of the virus/trojan in question you need to know it has been removed fro your system completly this i find is the best way.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2005, 10:14 pm

AD-Aware SE Personal has caught a few of the trojans I've gotten. I'd also suggest you start using Firefox. I set it to delete temp. internet files, history, and cookies every time I close the window. ZoneAlarm is also a great firewall. Many of my "techie", "hacker", "nerd" friends tell me that Norton suxorz.

keeg
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2005, 11:22 am

Yes it does suck. For the longest time my mom would use nothing but Norten for her computer. Then one day I took all my anti virus/adware/spyware programs and ran them on her computer while she was gone :D When she saw how much better it was working she believed me.

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2005, 7:48 pm

I call this my battery. Run it and clean your system. Then run it again, if it picks up more stuff clean it and run it one more time, if it's still not clean you'll need to remove your hard drive, piggy back it on another system, and run the battery once more.

When the battery is done use all anti spyware and one antivirus program to scan your hard drive via the other computer. If it picks up nothing put your hard drive back into your system, reinstall norton, install all the anti-spyware programs, and make sure you have a firewall.

The battery is at: http://www.wolvenmoon.com/modules.php?n ... 22802f234e