Kid pouring stuff over his head

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2015, 2:04 am

My son does this with sand or dirt, he puts it on his head and since he has kinky type hair it is almost impossible to get out! He also hates washing his hair or getting water poured over his head, and hates combing his hair.

At one point he was rubbing sand or ashes in his eyes, thankfully that was a short stage before he got over it.

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2015, 5:09 pm

Another thing to look at are Microwavable Clay-Based Moist Heat Pain Relief Neck Wrap. It is segmented to wrap around the body. It comes with a washable cover, you could use as a pattern to make a more bite resistant cover, if necessary. Being weighted, it would calm him. It can be heated or cooled. If he does not like it, you will love it. Family members might fight over it. I use it for my ankle, knee, hip, back and neck.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 6:41 pm

How 'bout a plastic or rubber octopus or squid? The material (plastic or rubber) would give him the weight, on his head; and, the tentacles would give him the sensation of stuff running-down his head----it would also be really cute. Plus, it would offer other kinds of sensory "help"----like, he could pull / stretch it; sometimes, people really love the feeling of rubber (I do). He could bite it, without destroying it, hopefully----plus, he could put it in the fridge, like his snake.

I found THIS one, that might be promising:

http://store.tapirback.com/giant-squid-museum-quality-plastic-f815/

Good luck!!

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 8:02 pm

Thanks folks!

Ooh I like that octopus! It looks like he would bite the legs off though- and then eat them. We get these rubber chew toys which are intended for biting and he goes through 3 or 4 in a month. I guess it would depend on what it's made of and how bad for him it would be to eat part of it, :lol: .

So far we've tried the hat idea, and hair brushing. I haven't gotten around to ordering any heating pads or anything like that. So far no improvement but it's been a rough couple of weeks all around. His new thing is ripping the curtains off the rods. Fun times at the Holland household, as usual! Sometimes this week I have been feeling like running around my house and destroying stuff too. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" I wonder if he'd even notice. If he did, I wonder if he'd stop doing it in shock or something… probably not.

I'm trying to keep him out of the bathroom sink unless he's washing hands or brushing teeth because he LOVES playing in the sink, but he makes such a huge mess and I'm worried about the tiles in the bathroom having water under them and growing mould… that's why I bought the water table for outside. When he is out there he is free to pour the water over his head if he wants to, there's a hose to refill the table.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2015, 8:09 pm

TheSperg wrote:
My son does this with sand or dirt, he puts it on his head and since he has kinky type hair it is almost impossible to get out! He also hates washing his hair or getting water poured over his head, and hates combing his hair.

At one point he was rubbing sand or ashes in his eyes, thankfully that was a short stage before he got over it.

I know we're lucky his hair isn't curly! I've had that thought before. I can't even imagine what that would be like trying to get it out! 8O